City driving only economy

Gregau

I'm seriously tossing up between the Aurion and a Mazda 6.

It's main purpose will be solely for city driving (lots of stop start) rarely any open road stuff so can people tell me what they are getting on a full tank of fuel?

Lets say from full on the gauge to the fuel light coming on after nothing but city driving would you get say 500 kms out of that?

I know all about the economy liters/100 kms thing but this is to explain to my wife in simple terms and she's not interested in what she calls "mumbo jumbo" hehe.

"Just tell me how far it goes from full on the gauge to when the fuel light comes on" she says.

So yeah if I could get some figures like that from city only would be good.

Thanks all :)

Greg. :help:

PS This site say 14 - 16/100 around town...that aint good :/

http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynr...m_road_test.htm

Edited by Gregau

Hi Greg,

If you are really looking for economy in city driving, Aurion will take probably around 475kms

But when the lights goes off. I usually will fill about 55 L =)

But so far I'm happy with my Aurion. It is a very convinient especially for long trip =)

I'm seriously tossing up between the Aurion and a Mazda 6.

It's main purpose will be solely for city driving (lots of stop start) rarely any open road stuff so can people tell me what they are getting on a full tank of fuel?

Lets say from full on the gauge to the fuel light coming on after nothing but city driving would you get say 500 kms out of that?

I know all about the economy liters/100 kms thing but this is to explain to my wife in simple terms and she's not interested in what she calls "mumbo jumbo" hehe.

"Just tell me how far it goes from full on the gauge to when the fuel light comes on" she says.

So yeah if I could get some figures like that from city only would be good.

Thanks all :)

Greg. :help:

PS This site say 14 - 16/100 around town...that aint good :/

http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynr...m_road_test.htm

stop posting topics BEFORE reading what we have gone through. I think this topic has been covered twice! and this time third?

a V6 3.5 engine in city, brake and go and brake, what do u think?! and u compare to a mazda 6 2.5 4cyl engine? funny

dont even bother answering this kinda question.

Thanks mike thats what I was after.

And danny did you not read what I said? I already said I read about the litres/100 kms posts but most of that stuff seemed all over the place so I wanted a real life what people get on a tank. If it has been discussed twice already how about pointing me in the right direction.

BTW when did I say I was comparing the Mazda to the Aurion? I'm tossing up between either..didnt say anything about fuel comparisons.

Douche.

Thanks mike thats what I was after.

And danny did you not read what I said? I already said I read about the litres/100 kms posts but most of that stuff seemed all over the place so I wanted a real life what people get on a tank. If it has been discussed twice already how about pointing me in the right direction.

BTW when did I say I was comparing the Mazda to the Aurion? I'm tossing up between either..didnt say anything about fuel comparisons.

Douche.

I wouldn't have a go at Danny there. He is right; members of this forum have discussed this topic already. One example was over at:

Fuel economy advise

Then there were even more figures discussed over at:

Presara Fuel consumption

Bad Fuel Economy. (It isn't all about bad fuel economy, but the title should catch your attention)

Yes we do list these figures in litres per 100km, but it isn't too hard to calculate the distance figures from that. If one of us says that we get 9.9l/100km, and you wanted to know how car you could travel before the fuel light comes on you would just need to divide 55 (as this is about the point that the fuel light comes on; also discussed in Fuel tank and gauge accuracy) by 9.9 then multiply by 100. I failed maths in high school and could figure that out (for once I can do something right). You would then get the answer of 555.5km per 55 litres of fuel which would answer your question.

All the figures we have provided in this forum are our real life figures, so that should be what you're after. You will also find, when it is discussed, we explain the driving conditions. Not all of us are restricted purely to city or highway driving; there is always going to be a mix of the two. But that's why it is average fuel consumption.

And no the 9.9l/100km fuel consumption isn't a lie. These cars are quite capable of doing that. It all comes down to how you drive it. I was running low on cash for the past week so I was forced to drive properly and not lead-footed like I always do. I've managed to get mine at the moment to 8.7l/100km and that was with 60-70% city driving and with the occasional wide open throttle.

post-7685-1211267952_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJKOR

Given your circumstances, I think Mazda 6 has Diesel option am I right?

Thats great for stop start and overtaking from granny driving with a good amount of torque from down below.

But on the topic I Havent done a full tank just on city driving only...

Thankss, DJKOR.. sorry for your time wasted to make the linkyyss~

but again, back to fuel saving in driving, pointed by Acoustik, DIESEL may be a way to go. Dont ask me how to count and measure coz i have no idea. It is a finding when my dad's frien asked me for help to import a Lexus LX series(4700cc) running diesel from Japan and i started asking for reasons.. (back to my hometown, with little income, we are quite careful with petrol consumption.. coz we are poor)

But, we have LPG here, cant wait to see the result when a car is out ONLY RUNNING LPG.

Thanks again lads...yeah I realise the answer has been literally staring me in the face but I've been under a heap of stress with this new car purchase (a lot more than I should) and I havent really been thinking straight...so yeah...blithering out annoying questions must be my specialty when I'm like this hehe :blink:

danny you've helped me out in the other thread I posted so thanks again and apologies for the douche comment it was outa line.

We are going to make stickies for Aurion forum right?

Lets have a fuel consumption sticky. Links to past threads.

Some valuable threads might be missed by a keyword search.

We are going to make stickies for Aurion forum right?

Lets have a fuel consumption sticky. Links to past threads.

Some valuable threads might be missed by a keyword search.

If someone creates a thread based on Aurion members posting their fuel consumptions (min, max, average), then that may well be worth a sticky and I could do that no problem.

I'll give you some real world info. I own both an Aurion and a Mazda 6 manual (not the new one).

Aurion

City driving 100%. Stop start, no freeway. Now after 9000km. We are getting 14-14.5 L/100km. Freeway driving at 110km/h we have gotten down to 8.6L/100km. Tank is 70L. You do the maths. We usually put in about 50L when filling up.

Mazda 6 manual. City. I think the worst I have ever gotten is about 10.5L/100km. My usual work drive of busy motorway driving in peak hour gets me about 8.7L/100km. Country driving I think has been about 7.5L/100km.

I'd definitely say, if you are doing city only driving and don't have a compelling reason for V6 definitely go the 4 cylinder. Prices are $1.60 today and don't expect a price drop in the future. Although bear in mind Mazda 6 needs premium 95RON minimum.

DJKOR,

If you reset the trip A to ZERO everytime you fill the car, do you think it will affect the avg fuel consumption?

I always reset it to zero hence I always get 11 to 12.5l/100km on average display in 60-80km zone for 20mins each way.

Only when long drive (2 hrs) then aurion manage drop to 9l.

Also it happen once, when I fill only half the tank and reset to zero and the avg down to 7 to 8l but when I full the tank and reset then back to normal 11 to 12.5l.

So I am confuse with this average display fuel consumption.

If I do the calculation manually, normally between 12 to 13l.

any comment(s)?

DJKOR,

If you reset the trip A to ZERO everytime you fill the car, do you think it will affect the avg fuel consumption?

Also it happen once, when I fill only half the tank and reset to zero and the avg down to 7 to 8l but when I full the tank and reset then back to normal 11 to 12.5l.

That is why when i first saw this kinda topic, i told people not to rely too much on the "average fuel consumption" display.. It isnt THAT accurate. It will be very stupid for toyota to design the display to be affected by reseting the TRIP A to zero too.. which i think, there is nothing to do with the calculation of average fuel consumption..

Usually when we pump fuel in, we may fill till the needle is over the "F", and when the needle is on "E", finding found that you still can drive 50km.. weird?

When you done your calculation manually with finding of 12-13l/100km, that is a VERY good result..

DJKOR,

I always reset it to zero hence I always get 11 to 12.5l/100km on average display in 60-80km zone for 20mins each way.

Only when long drive (2 hrs) then aurion manage drop to 9l.

any comment(s)?

I haven't reset my 'Trip A' yet. When I noticed that it could count past 999.9km (which is all my Camry could count up to, and I just let it tick over time and time again never resetting it), I decided to leave it be and do the same. So far, it has tracked how far I've driven since I got the car; 6 weeks and now 3718km. For some reason, I don't want to reset it. Just me I guess. Therefore I wouldn't be able to comment on that question. I only reset the 'Trip B' and that is when my cruising range hits 0km and I'm not planning on getting petrol just yet.

The average fuel consumption is updated in real time so when you have just filled up, the figures can be all over the place. I think it is just saying that "if you continue driving like you are at this moment in time, that's roughly how much fuel you will use". As the tank gets lower and lower, the average figure starts to level off and as it approaches empty, the figures don't fluctuate that much. I just use the average fuel consumption screen to get a rough idea on whether I am driving too aggressively. Obviously I try and stay away from higher figures cause it must mean I'm chewing through my fuel. I'm naturally lead footed so it's a reminder to ease off a bit.

One thing I've noticed is that when you fill the tank to full (first to second 'click' on the pump), mine always states about 544km on the cruising range screen. From past habits, I have a tendency to sometimes fill as much as I can so I'll slowly add fuel so it goes up the filler tube. I've done this with my Aurion before and found that the cruising range will stay at about 544km (obviously since the meter can't read higher that what it recognises as full), so this can account for any inaccuracies in fuel calculations. Also, when you don't do a complete fill, I've noticed that it tends to give lower figures on the fuel consumption screen, but I haven't done enough testing to determine if this was a one off.

mmm..my 1st post..haha..

the mazda 6 ive not driven before so i dont know..

as i work for hertz..ive driven plenty of aurions (only the base atx and the sx6 ones)..they can be pretty thirsty if fanged..like going from the one branch to another (18kms apart); im able to use quite a bit of petrol (launching off the lines at traffic lights etc)

but if driven sedately..can be brilliant on fuel..i think my boss going down to franklin in wa from perth..he got 7L/100kms? on 110kmh and cruise..

hope this helps.. :)

My ZR6 does about 12.4 L per 100 Ks in short run and about 8L per 100Ks in long. I don't know how accurate these figures are as there is always a lot of fuel in the tank when the fuel light comes on and it says 0KM in fuel range. On a full thank I get about 530K out of it on average driving.

in the city with the heavy traffic~~my aurion does around 12.5L/100KM with 4 ppl in it and the air-cons on. which means, for my aurion, 12.5L/100KM is the worst i could see.

for everyday use, travel between liverpool and city via hume hwy, 2 ppl without air-con, my aurion does around 10L/100KM

I was a bit curious to get an overall average figure for my fuel consumption, so 4009.9 km and 417.14 litres later, I calculated my average fuel consumption to be 10.4l/100km. Not too bad I'd say for about 70% city driving (50% bumper to bumper, 20% no traffic). A lot of the time, I also like to cruise down the highway with my windows down, so I would think that wind turbulence would cause a bit of inefficiency as well. I thought I would be chewing through more fuel than that by the way I drive. I like to take off at lights and put my foot down to enter the highways and whatnot.

If only I could change my driving habits; then I would get better economy. But it's so hard when you have all this power that you don't want to put to waste.

Edited by DJKOR