crunching in reverse

lols okay so ive had this problem ever since i got my car,

most times when i put my gear in reverse it will make a lil crunch noise and well then the truck noise comes on but then when i slowly start off, it wont go cos its not popped in properly but like LOL THE TRUCK NOISE CAME ON !

how to fix ? and has anyone else had this problem ?

most times when i put my gear in reverse it will make a lil crunch noise and well then the truck noise comes on but then when i slowly start off, it wont go cos its not popped in properly but like LOL THE TRUCK NOISE CAME ON !

I had the same problem and my Dad actually gave me 'work around': try putting it into gear more slowly. Worked for me, and it only crunchs now when I put it into gear to fast. Another way to fix it is clutch in touch accelerator then put it into gear.

I'd say its the same problem as 1-2 gear changes where something isn't quite right in the driveline when you change gears quickly and/or at high revs.

EDIT: yoshi beat me to it!!

all u have to do is put it in 1st gear then put it in reverse.

Yep, exactly. Put it into first to line up the synchro's, and then gently push it into reverse.

The beep comes on when the stick is in the gate, not when reverse gear is selected in the gearbox.

First to Second gear change is different.

Be patient and wait for a couple of seconds with the clutch in before selecting it. Simple.

Your so much better at summing things up then me :toast:

I'm an awful troll compared to the epicness of yourself dude. As proven by this post, as it contributes nothing to this thread.

Other than this picture of Kate Beckinsexy:

kate_beckinsale_02.jpg

Alllllrrriiigghhhht...

However, yes you should simply clutch in and wait a couple of seconds, then just go for reverse. It'll slot straight in.

Yep, exactly. Put it into first to line up the synchro's, and then gently push it into reverse.

The beep comes on when the stick is in the gate, not when reverse gear is selected in the gearbox.

^^

i do that

and when the cars cold, doesnt even wanna go into first at times, so i use 4th to line em up

Be patient and wait for a couple of seconds with the clutch in before selecting it. Simple.

Your so much better at summing things up then me :toast:

I'm an awful troll compared to the epicness of yourself dude. As proven by this post, as it contributes nothing to this thread.

Other than this picture of Kate Beckinsexy:

kate_beckinsale_02.jpg

Alllllrrriiigghhhht...

However, yes you should simply clutch in and wait a couple of seconds, then just go for reverse. It'll slot straight in.

You know what is much hotter

jessica-alba-wallpapers-3.jpg

hehe alllllllllllllllllllllllright

i had a similar problem on my 2003 T Sport when i got her 2 years ago. Over here the shift cables were moddified on the facelift model which came out in 2004 - i had the shift cables changed to the new part and problem solved.

Reverse doesn't have synchros though, the reason why it can be hard to engage is that it has straight-cut gears, not helical like all the forward gears (which is why you get the supercharger-style whine in reverse). If straight-cut gears don't align exactly, they won't engage. Changing into first (any gear really, but first works the best) will rotate the shaft slightly and maybe line up the straight-cut teeth better.

Hiro with the answers that matter.

If 1st doesn't align them, try second. If that fails put it back into neutral and release the clutch and try again. If it still fails, drive/roll forward slightly and then repeat.

If that fails then you either don't have a reverse gear or your trying the wrong spot :P