Has anyone had wet headlight problems?

JIN

Hi guys.

I am really getting worried of my headlights because it looks like the headlights are wet from inside.

Since I installed HID kit on my car, it has never been raining much or cold like last 2 days.

and I found the left headlight wet 2days ago after driving in rain.

I thought it's because I didn't seal the headlights properly after installing HID

so the rain water got into the headlight.

So I sealed both side headlights completely last night with seal tape and duct tape but in the morning

next day, BOTH HEADLIGHTS!! were wet from inside eventho it didn't rain in that night.

It was a bit colder than other nights.

Has anyone had this problems?

What I think is I actually have to remove the seal and let the air flow because

it seems like the different temperature between inside and out side of

the headlight causes the water inside of it like the picture uploaded below.

Any advices are appriciated.

Edited by JIN

i have the similar problem but it was because i popped open my headlamps and the seal probably wasnt sealed back properly..

did u pop urs open??

Mate it sounds like you don't have a complete seal. If oxygen can get in, it means condensation can form, which is basically water. It doesn't need to be that cold for condensation to form, or if you live in a foggy area, once the sun hits fog it will cause dew, again if oxygen can get in, dew can form as well. Do you park you car outside? Try parking you car inside a enclose garage on a cold night, and draw you conclusion from there. I don't know much about installing headlights lights but i was taught some rules about condensation, fog, dew and water on my suvival course a few years ago.

Hopes this helps

Bondie.

Edited by BONDIE

i have the similar problem but it was because i popped open my headlamps and the seal probably wasnt sealed back properly..

did u pop urs open??

Mate it sounds like you don't have a complete seal. If oxygen can get in, it means condensation can form, which is basically water. It doesn't need to be that cold for condensation to form, or if you live in a foggy area, once the sun hits fog it will cause dew, again if oxygen can get in, dew can form as well. Do you park you car outside? Try parking you car inside a enclose garage on a cold night, and draw you conclusion from there. I don't know much about installing headlights lights but i was taught some rules about condensation, fog, dew and water on my suvival course a few years ago.

Hopes this helps

Bondie.

hey man :D tqs for the tips :P yeah i think i will reseal my headlamps :P

did u pop urs open??

Hopes this helps

Bondie.

Ok. Now I got confused.

I searched some information about it from the internet and there are 2 ways that

I can prevent this problem.

First of all, I have to make the headlights as vacumn status but it sounds like impossible.

All I did on headlight is chainging the original bulb to HID bulb in to the socket.

All the ballasts and wire stuffs are separated from the headlights so it is the different story and nothing about headlight.

Secondly, there are some holes on the rubber cover which is placed back of the bulb socket.

I do not know the exact place but there are some holes on the rubber cover which make the

air flow so it makes same temperature between inside and outside of the headlight.

Also I remember that there were 2 holes at the back of the headlight rubber cover

from honda accord I owned before.

did u pop urs open??

Hopes this helps

Bondie.

Ok. Now I got confused.

I searched some information about it from the internet and there are 2 ways that

First of all, I have to make the headlights as vacumn status but it sounds like impossible.

All I did on headlight is chainging the original bulb to HID bulb in to the socket.

All the ballasts and wire stuffs are separated from the headlights so it is the different story and nothing about headlight.

Secondly, there are some holes on the rubber cover which is placed back of the bulb socket.

I do not know the exact place but there are some holes on the rubber cover which make the

air flow so it makes same temperature between inside and outside of the headlight.

Also I remember that there were 2 holes at the back of the headlight rubber cover

Sorry dude, I cant offer any more help, my last response wasn't really an Automotive educated response, it was more of a generic condensation rule that may or may not apply in your case. Atleast you know you will never die of thirst in the desert...ha ha.......... sorry dude..........I know............ not funny.

But mabey you can ask a panel beating place. Maaan don't under estimate those dudes, they have so much knowledge about various types of vehicles. They are always pulling sh*t of different types of insurance jobs and replacing parts. They helped me out heaps with my Explorer i had. And maybey they have come across the same thing, replacing a customers busted front end... who knows.

Anyway all the best dude, hope you get it fixed.

Bondie

did u pop urs open??

Hopes this helps

Bondie.

Ok. Now I got confused.

Sorry dude, I cant offer any more help, my last response wasn't really an Automotive educated response, it was more of a generic condensation rule that may or may not apply in your case. Atleast you know you will never die of thirst in the desert...ha ha.......... sorry dude..........I know............ not funny.

But mabey you can ask a panel beating place. Maaan don't under estimate those dudes, they have so much knowledge about various types of vehicles. They are always pulling sh*t of different types of insurance jobs and replacing parts. They helped me out heaps with my Explorer i had. And maybey they have come across the same thing, replacing a customers busted front end... who knows.

Anyway all the best dude, hope you get it fixed.

Bondie

I just made some holes on the rubber cover with a giant needle. :lol:

Let's see how it works tomorrow morning.

Anyway, thanks for your info and there was no offence in my comment. :)

I had this problem when i first got my ZR6. I didn't put HID's on my car. Toyota replaced the headlight under warranty. It shouldn't have any condensation in it according to them.

Ok..

I tried with some holes on the back of the rubber cover last night and it didn't work.

Still having condensation in the light in this morning.

Seems like I better make a claim for warranty on monday and I am expecting to replace both headlights.

I'm not giving advice here so don't hold me accountable for trying to cheat the system; but one would probably remove everything to do with the HID's before you try and make a warranty claim. HID's can give reasonable claim to deny warranty replacement of the headlight assembly.

Ok..

I tried with some holes on the back of the rubber cover last night and it didn't work.

Still having condensation in the light in this morning.

Seems like I better make a claim for warranty on monday and I am expecting to replace both headlights.

I doubt they will replace them under warranty since you have modified them.

I'm not giving advice here so don't hold me accountable for trying to cheat the system; but one would probably remove everything to do with the HID's before you try and make a warranty claim. HID's can give reasonable claim to deny warranty replacement of the headlight assembly.

yeah I already removed all the ballasts and bulbs when it happened for the first time because I didn't wanna blow the bulbs.

Also installing HID definately would not be acceptable if I have some problems with my headlights so yeah, removing the HID was my first move

when the condensation problem came up and I thought it's because of HID but it wasn't.

I replaced with original bulbs and it still happens. :(

In this case, making the warranty claim is the last option that I have and I will do that on Monday.

And I think I am able to get the warranty because I actually turned everything back to original, since I only have done HID and they are all removed now.

Everything under bonnet is still same as original.

I've done the parking sensor on the back bumper but I don't think it's gonna void the warranty cuase there's nothing under bonnet.

Thanks for advice. :D

Edited by JIN

yeah I already removed all the ballasts and bulbs when it happened for the first time because I didn't wanna blow the bulbs.

Also installing HID definately would not be acceptable if I have some problems with my headlights so yeah, removing the HID was my first move

when the condensation problem came up and I thought it's because of HID but it wasn't.

In this case, making the warranty claim is the last option that I have and I will do that on Monday.

And I think I am able to get the warranty because I actually turned everything back to original, since I only have done HID and they are all removed now.

I've done the parking sensor on the back bumper but I don't think it's gonna void the warranty cuase there's nothing under bonnet.

It is possible that it was caused by the HID's you know. If the problem arose after the HID's were installed and you changed it back to the original bulbs, you may have simply just trapped the moisture in the assembly and now it is going through the whole sealed greenhouse effect. When you put the bulbs back, it may have appeared that there was nothing inside the assembly, when it may have just been 'humid' and no moisture was condensed on the front end. Then as it was sealed, the moisture was then trapped, so whenever it cools down, it condenses, and then the cycle repeats.

One method I would do to try and help clear it up it to choose a day when it is dry and sunny, remove the bulbs and let the headlight assembly sit with the sun shining on them (the hotter the day the better). Hopefully the moisture will then evaporate and work its way out of the assembly.

If you didn't have a problem before the HID installation, I think you are being a tad nieve if you think that you didn't cause this problem. The toyota dealer are going to be able to know as well that you have tampered with the headlight seal, I honestly doubt you will get a warranty claim out of this.

It is possible that it was caused by the HID's you know. If the problem arose after the HID's were installed and you changed it back to the original bulbs, you may have simply just trapped the moisture in the assembly and now it is going through the whole sealed greenhouse effect. When you put the bulbs back, it may have appeared that there was nothing inside the assembly, when it may have just been 'humid' and no moisture was condensed on the front end. Then as it was sealed, the moisture was then trapped, so whenever it cools down, it condenses, and then the cycle repeats.

One method I would do to try and help clear it up it to choose a day when it is dry and sunny, remove the bulbs and let the headlight assembly sit with the sun shining on them (the hotter the day the better). Hopefully the moisture will then evaporate and work its way out of the assembly.

Maybe installing HID could be one of the reason for condensation problem but in this case

I don't actually think it's caused by installing HID because all I did on headlight is changing the original bulbs to HID bulbs.

I didn't even push hard for putting the HID bulbs into the socket, it was just like normal procedures for chaning the original bulbs.

Also the environment was dry too.

I did it in my garage that we always put some foods have to be placed in dry condition even I feel dry in there.

Yesterday was kinda hot day and I opened the headlight and let it dry for a whole day.

When it looked like completely dried I closed it, and in this morning it's happening again. :(

It was really cold in this early morning.

Maybe and I hope I just didn't notice the headlights are faulty becasue

it's never been cold and raining before.

All I can do is ask toyota for a warranty now. :(

Anyway thanks for your info again.

Remove the HID's, take it to toyota, ask them to replace the headlights under warranty, once you have the new lights when you install the HID's make sure you get the cap on properly and it should prevent problems.

THat's if you have warranty though

Any chance of using the 'hair' dryer treatment? Just take of the bulbs, remove the seals and apply hot and get rid of the excess moisture?

Now I may sound like a noob over this... but just a thought...

Cheers

Any chance of using the 'hair' dryer treatment? Just take of the bulbs, remove the seals and apply hot and get rid of the excess moisture?

Cheers

Yeah I already tried that one tho. :P

Cheers

Yeah I already tried that one tho. :P

yeah i tried that 1 but its just a temporary solution :P it`ll be back :P