How long do tyres last?

Guni

I came across an article about the life of tyres.

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/passenger/care/age.aspx

Tyres do degrade over time due to exposure to heat, sunlight and oxygen. I remember my uncle's tyre bursting even when there are loads of thread left which makes me wonder about it .... And NO, its not a puncture. The tyre just rupture at the sides and not the thread .....

What about the spare? Some have space saver spare. Others have full size spare but they don't bother rotating it when they do their other tyres. Some spares are more than 10 years old! Hmmmm .............

Anyone experienced anything similar? Any ideas ?

I was more after the age ....

5 years? 10 years ?

Bridgestones only give 5 years warranty max. Others give 6.

So just wandering if age plays a part in tyre wear and tear.........

5 years? 10 years ?

Ahh okay I was thinking its more along the lines of, 40,000k's or 4-5 years, which ever comes first.

5 years? 10 years ?

Ahh okay I was thinking its more along the lines of, 40,000k's or 4-5 years, which ever comes first.

I've always thought tyres would last some years as they also use it on ocean beds to encourage coral growth and more fishys ..............

if only fish and corals drive, then we would have been able to ask how they handle under water LOL :P

*moment of insanity*

the spare wheel, it's in the boot so it's not exposed to all the rain, water, heat, not even light and all the other stuff. it's also not under any load, so technicly it should last longer. but don't qoute me on that :P

the spare wheel, it's in the boot so it's not exposed to all the rain, water, heat, not even light and all the other stuff. it's also not under any load, so technicly it should last longer. but don't qoute me on that :P

Ahh okay I actually thought that the spare was the one to wear faster because its not exposed to the elements? Like it would just be detiriorating over time... meh I dunno.

mines exposed to water :D

keeps it fresh

spare wheel, it's in the boot so it's not exposed to all the rain, water, heat, not even light and all the other stuff. it's also not under any load, so technicly it should last longer. but don't qoute me on that :P

mines exposed to water :D

keeps it fresh

sorry i ment MOST spares... lol,,, i still don't know how you got so much water in there?? did you ever hear it splashing around when you drove? lol..

5 years? 10 years ?

I've always thought tyres would last some years as they also use it on ocean beds to encourage coral growth and more fishys ..............

if only fish and corals drive, then we would have been able to ask how they handle under water LOL :P

*moment of insanity*

ask bonbon to pop open his boot for you, he's almost got corals growing in there. lol

• 2 weeks later...
How long would it last if the tyres were on camber...

Heard from my friend...last only like a year or so...

mine with fked up camber lasted me around 15000km - 20000km and yeh.. it was time to replace.. now i got some camber bolt put in and hopefully it will last me bit longer..

but again, the last set of tyres were rather SOFT compared to these ones i got on now..

• 3 weeks later...

drive without unwanted weight, go at corners max 30km/h and drive with a non kangaroo attitude and you'll find yourselve doing 75,000kms or more on a standard original equipment tyres.

proof? my sister's corrolla with OE dunlop sp200's since purchase, they still have 4mm after 79,000kms on the clock....

that just amazes me. and she drives pretti hard, so my guess is she doesnt drive with ANY weight except herself!

though i'll get her to change them soon as that rubber is getting too old and hard.

drive without unwanted weight, go at corners max 30km/h and drive with a non kangaroo attitude and you'll find yourselve doing 75,000kms or more on a standard original equipment tyres.

proof? my sister's corrolla with OE dunlop sp200's since purchase, they still have 4mm after 79,000kms on the clock....

that just amazes me. and she drives pretti hard, so my guess is she doesnt drive with ANY weight except herself!

though i'll get her to change them soon as that rubber is getting too old and hard.

How old is the car? Tyres?

my corolla is 4 years old and so far i have toasted 2 sets of tires. the car has 70 000k s on the clock with each set lasting 35 000k s or there abouts. the oem tires "were" michelin energy something and the second set "were" yoko C drives. I think I have a heavy foot and corner too fast :lol:

My front tyres needed replacing at around 60,000km and my brake pads at 80,000km (after about 4 years). If I did do rotations then I could probably do around 80,000km for a whole set possibly more. I replaced my tyres as soon as the indicator showed up on the treads.

The key to getting more mileage out of your tyres, is obviously don't take corners at a fast speed (shoudn't be doing it on public roads) and early progressive braking. I have a heavy foot too, but braking early is an important key factor.

5 years? 10 years ?

A serious answer is 2 years. If stored (not fitted) in perfect conditions you might see 5 years. But if you are after performance a tyre that has sat around for 6 months has less performance than a tyre that has just left the mould. If you want to know the age of a tyre look for the bar code on the sidewall and under it will be some numbers reading, for example, 1407. That means they were made in the 14th week of 2007.

my corolla is 4 years old and so far i have toasted 2 sets of tires. the car has 70 000k s on the clock with each set lasting 35 000k s or there abouts. the oem tires "were" michelin energy something and the second set "were" yoko C drives. I think I have a heavy foot and corner too fast :lol:

I got 45k from my C.Drives and that included track days, they are a hard compound. Mum's rolla has Michelin Energy or something and those may as well be made of rock. Zero grip in the dry, but have lasted forever. But when it rains...

How old is the car? Tyres?

the corolla is 2002. so good 4 years worth of usage.

I got 45k from my C.Drives and that included track days, they are a hard compound. Mum's rolla has Michelin Energy or something and those may as well be made of rock. Zero grip in the dry, but have lasted forever. But when it rains...

lol

pretti funni how the energy's have "superior" water dispersing. i guess its the mind set you drive the thing. if u drive like a really really old man in the rain, then you'll say its got LOTS of grip.

if youre too used to track style and criticing tyres then most hard tyres would perform poor.

currently the XM1+'s are made in china, have was it 10mm of thread depth? and are the hardest rocks on the face of the earth.