Ultra Racing Strut Bar

Pumped

Thanks for the quick replies and thanks for the really informative reply DJK, you don't disappoint :).

If the front bar improves turn ins, that is what I'm after as well. Something that will help with turn its because won't that help with the car feeling more stable then feeling like your turning a big boat? :lol:

Also with installation, inst it as simple as removing the 3 bolts on each side, placing the strut bar in then putting the bolts back in. Is it that simple?

How much am I looking at($$) for one you guys tested and knows that works really good?

If the front bar improves turn ins, that is what I'm after as well. Something that will help with turn its because won't that help with the car feeling more stable then feeling like your turning a big boat? :lol:

Personally, once you get over the original placebo effect, you will find that the front strut brace really doesn't help on the body roll side of things. If you are just going to get one bar for now, do it right the first time and get the rear sway bar first.

Also with installation, inst it as simple as removing the 3 bolts on each side, placing the strut bar in then putting the bolts back in. Is it that simple?

Two nuts on each side :lol:

Check out this eBay seller (thanks Matt) or PM SILVABULLIT if you want to get it locally as he is the QLD distributor of Ultra Racing and may be able to do better than the pricing from Ultra Racing Australia:

http://stores.ebay.com/CTECH-STRUT-BRACE__W0QQ_sidZ971709717?_nkw=camry+07&submit=Search

Personally, once you get over the original placebo effect, you will find that the front strut brace really doesn't help on the body roll side of things. If you are just going to get one bar for now, do it right the first time and get the rear sway bar first.

Two nuts on each side :lol:

Check out this eBay seller (thanks Matt) or PM SILVABULLIT if you want to get it locally as he is the Australian distributor of Ultra Racing:

http://stores.ebay.com/CTECH-STRUT-BRACE__W0QQ_sidZ971709717?_nkw=camry+07&submit=Search

Alright, you confused me with now adding get the rear one and not the front, lol. On my original post I think I got confused with handling and body roll.

My main aim is to improve handling around corners, and from reading through this thread, the front strut bar will help turn ins, correct?

If that is the case, the rear one for body roll can wait as I would like to improve handling.

Is there any side effects to it? Would I be putting any strain on suspension etc for putting an after market piece?

Oh yeah, just two nuts, is there anything else that I really need to remove before putting in the Ultra strut bar or simple as removing bolts, placing in and re bolting. Does it come with its own bolts or should I use the original bolts that I took off.

Sorry for so many questions but I'm nooby at car mechanics.

Edited by unique

Alright, you confused me with now adding get the rear one and not the front, lol. On my original post I think I got confused with handling and body roll.

My main aim is to improve handling around corners, and from reading through this thread, the front strut bar will help turn ins, correct?

If that is the case, the rear one for body roll can wait as I would like to improve handling.

Is there any side effects to it? Would I be putting any strain on suspension etc for putting an after market piece?

I figured it was best to go all out and get the two bits (I also got the lower bar but we wont go into that, let's just say unless the cars on a track 24/7, no use and if you want to lower your car, forget it.)

The front upper bar should help with turning into the corner. So that initially turn point when usually the front wheel (opposite to the direction you're turning) will drop right down (depending on the suspension setup as is), The front bar is to 'help' prevent that. It wont prevent it 100%, that's what a decent set of coilovers added with this are for. Then the rear bar is to assist with consistant turning, so after that initial turn-in to keep the car stable throughout the corner.

Also in regards to damaging or putting extra wear on the suspension components. I cannot see why it would put 'additional' strain on the suspension components of the vehicle.

As I and -DAvo said, the front strut brace will barely do anything to reduce body roll. It's only there to stop chassis flex. It does not connect directly to any moving components which is why it doesn't affect the way the suspension operates.

Reducing body roll will improve cornering. If you really want to see for yourself, by the front strut brace first.

I put these up some posts back so you get an idea of what is at play. Notice how even in their reference diagrams, the front strut brace is not reducing the body roll:

For reference:

Strut bar:

strut-bar-before.gifstrut-bar-after.gif

strut-bar-corner-before.gifstrut-bar-corner-after.gif

Rear Sway bar:

anti-roll-bar-before.gifanti-roll-bar-after.gif

No. I've explained this elsewhere, but can't be bothered looking for it right now.

As I and -DAvo said, the front strut brace will barely do anything to reduce body roll. It's only there to stop chassis flex. It does not connect directly to any moving components which is why it doesn't affect the way the suspension operates.

Reducing body roll will improve cornering. If you really want to see for yourself, by the front strut brace first.

I put these up some posts back so you get an idea of what is at play:

For reference:

Strut bar:

strut-bar-before.gifstrut-bar-after.gif

strut-bar-corner-before.gifstrut-bar-corner-after.gif

Rear Sway bar:

anti-roll-bar-before.gifanti-roll-bar-after.gif

No. I've explained this elsewhere, but can't be bothered looking for it right now.

Alright thanks, I was just trying to do the lazy way and get the front because that's such an easy job. The rear one looks much more complex and expensive.

So then, what would the front one be good for?

Alright thanks, I was just trying to do the lazy way and get the front because that's such an easy job. The rear one looks much more complex and expensive.

I figured that would be the case. Since when does cutting corners and doing the cheap and easy stuff to your car help more than the ones that take effort?

As I said, less chassis flex. When you think about how everything on the car ties together, would you rather have the suspension components doing all the moving, or having your car flex and absorb some of that movement?

I figured that would be the case. Since when does cutting corners and doing the cheap and easy stuff to your car help more than the ones that take effort?

As I said, less chassis flex. When you think about how everything on the car ties together, would you rather have the suspension components doing all the moving, or having your car flex and absorb some of that movement?

Suspension of course. I think I will first start off with the front bar as its only $137 on ebay and its free postage :). Now time to convince the parents. I know its my money but they still get annoyed I blow so much of it on my car and I cop lectures from it lol.

What is this part that I put a yellow arrow on:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8986/dscn2821s.jpg

It kind looks like a flat strut bar.

Would I need to remove that to put on the strut bar or put the strut bar on top?

You can't remove that. It's part of the piece you see below. The strut brace sits on top of it.

dsc05596k.jpg

Have mine installed now - car feels far more planted but that is primarily due to the new wheels and rubber, strut bar seems to have improved things again though, understeer is noticeably reduced, car steers and goes where you put it now.

I can recommend the bar but I'd definitely team it with some different rubber if you're on stock to get the full effect.

Have mine installed now - car feels far more planted but that is primarily due to the new wheels and rubber, strut bar seems to have improved things again though, understeer is noticeably reduced, car steers and goes where you put it now.

I can recommend the bar but I'd definitely team it with some different rubber if you're on stock to get the full effect.

If you think that has reduced understeer, you should go and buy the rear sway bar. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much of a difference that makes. It's some of the best money you will spend on your car.

I see you have a Prodigy too. Any more info on the handling on the prodigy?

Edit: Thanks for that djk, far out man, you have a picture for just about everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ULTRA-RACING-2-Point-Front-Strut-Bar-Toyota-Camry07-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2306d91426QQitemZ150438745126QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Has anyone bought from this guy? Would he be trust worthy?

Edited by unique

Just go ahead and buy it and experience it for yourself. Regardless of what another person's opinion may be, their comparison and words won't give you an idea of what the result will feel like. Plus I doubt any negative comments on the Ultra Racing gear is going to stop you from buying it.

It's like asking someone how their meal was. A description just doesn't cut it.

Just go ahead and buy it and experience it for yourself. Regardless of what another person's opinion may be, their comparison and words won't give you an idea of what the result will feel like. Plus I doubt any negative comments on the Ultra Racing gear is going to stop you from buying it.

It's like asking someone how their meal was. A description just doesn't cut it.

Alright mate, it looks like I'll take your advice. I'll save up a bit more and do the rear sway instead of the front as there is a much bigger advantage in doing the back rather then the front, after doing the back. I can then look into the front.

with the ultra racing guys, the rear and front are both 19mm, is this okay? I heard to do 19 at back and thicker at front.

also, with the back sway on that reduces body roll, will it reduce under steer?

thanks man, at least you cleared up my mind and gave me a better option :)

edit: it just came to my mind, does the prodigy have a rear sway bar factory fitted or none at all?

Edited by unique

I know I should have bought the RSB too but after spluging a bit this month on wheels, tyres, ducktail spoiler and eyelids I think I was getting bill fatigue :lol: that and the fact that I could easily self install the FSB meant I went for that first.

The decrease in understeer is probably enough for me now too. To explain it there's a left hand sweeper that I take every day that when you used to boot it you would end up in the right hand lane whether you wanted or not :o , now you can hold the line with almost no extra steering effort, its been a massive improvement but as said I think a lot of that is down to the different rubber and wheels, the FSB is the icing on the cake.

Just ordered the Ultra Racing front strut and rear sway bar. Not sure how long they'll take to get here... Hopefully I'll have em on next weekend or sometime early in the week after :spiteful:

with the ultra racing guys, the rear and front are both 19mm, is this okay? I heard to do 19 at back and thicker at front.

Ideally you would want to upgrade your front sway bar as well, but these aren't available. Also, it comes down to your end requirements. Installing the 19mm rear sway bar will put more bias into oversteer, but since the car was more biased to understeer in the first place, the upgraded rear with stock front will level things out a bit better. It's more to the point that it will still tend to understeer when pushed to the limit, but you can make it oversteer if you really want to.

If you upgrade the rear and the front, you will then bring it back to the case where it will be more biased towards understeering, but with reduced body roll. Basically, just think of how it handles as stock, and then if you uprgrade the rear, you reduce understeer, upgrade the front, you increase understeer. It all comes down to how you want to balance it.

As said though, an upgraded front sway bar isn't available anyways.

edit: it just came to my mind, does the prodigy have a rear sway bar factory fitted or none at all?

All Aurions have a rear sway bar from factory. In fact, it's a common suspension component in a lot of cars out there.

Ideally you would want to upgrade your front sway bar as well, but these aren't available. Also, it comes down to your end requirements. Installing the 19mm rear sway bar will put more bias into oversteer, but since the car was more biased to understeer in the first place, the upgraded rear with stock front will level things out a bit better. It's more to the point that it will still tend to understeer when pushed to the limit, but you can make it oversteer if you really want to.

If you upgrade the rear and the front, you will then bring it back to the case where it will be more biased towards understeering, but with reduced body roll. Basically, just think of how it handles as stock, and then if you uprgrade the rear, you reduce understeer, upgrade the front, you increase understeer. It all comes down to how you want to balance it.

As said though, an upgraded front sway bar isn't available anyways.

All Aurions have a rear sway bar from factory. In fact, it's a common suspension component in a lot of cars out there.

This is ultimately what I'm after anyway, so RSB all the way. I rather over steer then under steer. Under steer lacks the fun you have because you cant turn in fast and need to ease of the speed and go in nice and easy.

Under steer lacks the fun you have because you cant turn in fast and need to ease of the speed and go in nice and easy.

I could still get the back of my Sportivo to swing out for tight turns before I put the Ultra Racing rear sway bar in. It's how you drive it.

Guys,

Thought you might find this interesting, i spoke to Luis today and he was saying that he is expecting a shipment of rear chassis/suspension braces for the ACV40/GSV40's next month :) no word on prices yet though lol...

Also been doing some calculations mind find this some use too.

The standard OE 16mm Anti-Roll bar has a roll stiffness of 65,536

The Ultra Racing 19mm Anti-Roll bar has a roll stiffness of 130,321 or is 1.98 X stiffer!

the Ultra Racing 22mm Anti-Roll bar has a roll stiffness of 234,256 or is 3.57 X stiffer....mmmmm over steer much lol ;P

Under steer lacks the fun you have because you cant turn in fast and need to ease of the speed and go in nice and easy.

I could still get the back of my Sportivo to swing out for tight turns before I put the Ultra Racing rear sway bar in. It's how you drive it.

I haven't been there yet. :lol:

Guys,

Thought you might find this interesting, i spoke to Luis today and he was saying that he is expecting a shipment of rear chassis/suspension braces for the ACV40/GSV40's next month :) no word on prices yet though lol...

Also been doing some calculations mind find this some use too.

The standard OE 16mm Anti-Roll bar has a roll stiffness of 65,536

The Ultra Racing 19mm Anti-Roll bar has a roll stiffness of 130,321 or is 1.98 X stiffer!

the Ultra Racing 22mm Anti-Roll bar has a roll stiffness of 234,256 or is 3.57 X stiffer....mmmmm over steer much lol ;P

This is pretty cool info :).

Is the OE one the same across the whole Aurion range?

Is the OE one the same across the whole Aurion range?

Yes. Even the TRD is 16mm stock.

So what has been changed between the Sportivo that the TRD started off from to the final TRD?

Does the stock TRD handle the same/better than the stock Sportivo?