Ultra Racing Strut Bar

Pumped

... But I don't drive near as hard as Daryl does, so he might need it more than I would. :P

I will still eventually get it and at least trial it out just to see how it goes. It would probably be best that I didn't have it because it's getting to the point that I am realising how useful it is to slide the rear when doing a mountain run. Sliding and mountains isn't the best combination.

I woulnd't mind a set if it cost cheaper... Talking about cheaper, I saw the malay web, it's half the price, thinkin of gettin it off em!! :o And talkin about Ultra racing, where's the web link for them?

Yeah well that's exactly it, I reckon they have gone up a fair bit in price since the last time I looked at them :( Not cool..

Hahah Daryl & Nathan - I will stay out of that one! Isn't your rear sway bent Nathan? :P

I woulnd't mind a set if it cost cheaper... Talking about cheaper, I saw the malay web, it's half the price, thinkin of gettin it off em!! :o And talkin about Ultra racing, where's the web link for them?

Yeah well that's exactly it, I reckon they have gone up a fair bit in price since the last time I looked at them :( Not cool..

Hahah Daryl & Nathan - I will stay out of that one! Isn't your rear sway bent Nathan? :P

No, that was the lower front. Rear's fine. :P

If I remember correctly the rear sway bar has gone up about $30 since I bought mine.

Bugger. Because when I got mine, it was at the same price that is currently on their site... $323. Oh wells, I'm not complaining. Best money spent on this car for sure.

No, that was the lower front. Rear's fine. :P

Hahah well in that case then..!

If I remember correctly the rear sway bar has gone up about $30 since I bought mine.

Bugger. Because when I got mine, it was at the same price that is currently on their site... $323. Oh wells, I'm not complaining. Best money spent on this car for sure.

Yeah well I'm thinking for these the price isn't really the deciding factor, judged on what I have seen/heard of the results afterwards and that it would be money well spent on a good mod. Just gotta save some $$ now!

How's the driving experience for those out there using just the front strut bar without the rear sway bar - I'm thinking I would like a bit of sharper turn-in but I dont want the wife driving it and getting into any accidental oversteer situations :o

Edited by mikka

With the front strut brace only, there is a slight difference in cornering feel as in it feels slightly flatter. Personally, if you aren't going to drive the car hard, you aren't going to have any strong effects from the rear sway bar. If you upgrade your RSB for you own driving pleasure, you don't need to worry about it getting in the way when your wife drives it.

"How's the driving experience for those out there using just the front strut bar without the rear sway bar - I'm thinking I would like a bit of sharper turn-in but I dont want the wife driving it and getting into any accidental oversteer situations

This post has been edited by mikka: Today, 04:49 PM "

i have just the front Strut bar on my car and as DJKOR said, it makes the car sit a little bit flatter through a corner but it slo stops the flex in the front end and because the strut towers dont move under load it seems to make the car a little bit "pointier" on turn in if that makes sense. for the small cost of the bar it's more than worth doing it!

i ran the front strut bar only for a few days before installing my rear sway bar...

it made a HUGE difference and was well worth the money...

but in saying that, i drive my car a LOT to work and back (ie 180kms a day) and i have never been in a situation where i'm like "oh sh!t, oversteer"...

as daryl said... the effects of the RSB only come into effect when you're really pushing it hard... in day to day normal driving, it just feels 'tighter' around corners...

• 4 weeks later...
does it actually make a difrence to the handling

The strutbrace by itself is noticable from stock (ie nudda) when both front strutbrace & rear sway bar are done together the difference is very noticable. :)

HT: Dun think it'll affect the tyrewear, assuming all tyres still touchin the ground.

PS: Your question doesn't look dumb anymore when compared with my answer. :lol:

This might be a dumb question.... but here goes anyway.

Assuming you drive the same temperament after adding the bars will they increase or decrease tire wear?

Not such a dumb question...i'm thinking once you stiffen it all up a wheel alignment would'nt go astray,i can't really remember but i think i drove for 2 days after i fitted my braces/bars and then got an alignment,it did feel a little better post alignment from memory,this could be just my car also.I suppose if you go to all the trouble & exspense of fitting em a wheel alignment & balance would'nt hurt.

Depends on how you define driving with the "same temperament" :lol:

I get what you mean though. For the front strut brace, this will have no change on your tire wear as it's just there to stop chassis flex at the front. As for the rear sway bar, I would say that it would only the slightest amount (in other words, you would never notice it or probably even be able to measure it) improve tire wear in the way of a more even wear (this then equates to a greater tire wear... but read on). The reason for this is say when you take a corner and your weight shifts to one side. The RSB will try to apply force to the opposite side to balance out the body roll. As a result, the other side which would usually experience less force on the tire as you take the corner, will now experience a slightly greater force.

And then it goes, the more force the tire experiences, the more it will wear. But as I said, it's something that is so small that you wouldn't ever notice it.

My guess is that Luis just couldn't stick around to monitor the forums here (judging from the time it took to sometimes get a reply) so they canned the whole area all together.

My guess is that Luis just couldn't stick around to monitor the forums here (judging from the time it took to sometimes get a reply) so they canned the whole area all together.

They had a fair bit of negative feedback regarding the pointlessness of some of their products. They also promised a price cut late last year that didn't seem to happen.

does it actually make a difrence to the handling

The strutbrace by itself is noticable from stock (ie nudda) when both front strutbrace & rear sway bar are done together the difference is very noticable. :)

so if it increases handling therefore wouldn't that decrease aerodynamics and 0-100 time becomes less

(soz i am new to all this modding stuff)

so if it increases handling therefore wouldn't that decrease aerodynamics and 0-100 time becomes less

(soz i am new to all this modding stuff)

It has nothing to do with those two factors. Only comes into play when one side of the car experiences more loading than the other (which is what you get when you turn).

For reference:

Strut bar:

strut-bar-before.gifstrut-bar-after.gif

strut-bar-corner-before.gifstrut-bar-corner-after.gif

Rear Sway bar:

anti-roll-bar-before.gifanti-roll-bar-after.gif

Another silly uneducated question.

Is it not advisable to run the struts with lowered springs and the original shocks? That is to say, will the struts put extra strain on shocks already under extra strain due to lowered springs?