grille

lateralus

i'm trying to source a grille my for sportivo similar to the one below, but i can only find one with the chrome around the outside of it, which i don't want. i just want it to be the colour of the car.

to have ithe chrome stripped back and then resprayed by toyota, they said it would cost about $150-200 which is a bloody rip off considering how much work is required.

any suggestions?

Edited by lateralus

• 1 month later...

About the "TRD Camry grille" you are after, I don't think you can really find it anywhere anymore.

As I have tried looking on ebay aus and us, it seems that they do not make it anymore well the ones that most of us are after.

They only have the chrome ones that you have seen.

probably the best thing to do is (as mentioned) to get a genuine camry grill and cut the middle out etc.

because at least you know that the grill will fit back on no problems cause it is a genuine item.

But good luck!

they've stopped selling the "TRD grille" like a year and a half ago on the aus ebay sites.

Sux cause I want one too lol

Have you tried to find one on Yankee ebay??

Failing that try and find a stock grille at a wrecking yard for cheap, cut out the middle, spray it up and Bondo some mesh behind it :)

hey relish, ive got a gen4.5/4 same as you, is it easy to mod our grill?

If you have a Gen4.5 your going to have an easier time than with the gen4 due to the slats being further spread apart and the top one being higher than on a Gen4.

So all in all it should be a piece of cake for you cause I'm pretty sure you have a 4.5 :P

I never ended up actually finishing modding my Gen4 grill as I've got the mesh one that comes with the GTP Sportivo kit but if you want any pointers on the idea I had just hit me up and I'm happy to help :)

If you have a Gen4.5 your going to have an easier time than with the gen4 due to the slats being further spread apart and the top one being higher than on a Gen4.

So all in all it should be a piece of cake for you cause I'm pretty sure you have a 4.5 :P

I never ended up actually finishing modding my Gen4 grill as I've got the mesh one that comes with the GTP Sportivo kit but if you want any pointers on the idea I had just hit me up and I'm happy to help :)

lol

u know wot, im just going to unhook it and paint it white. currently grey like all the other camrys so i thought mmm...same colour as the rest of the body.

the amount of time i spend detailing my car is enough, lol, i think im just lazy when it comes to modding anything haha, esp when its a camry = S

unless someone does it for me! haha

thanks though, i'll see exactly how easy it is for me to unhook the thing.

cheers!

Edited by Wixy

i've decided to go out tomorrow and grab a used genuine grill from a wreckers. i want to get the grille looking like the trd aurion grill.

so i'll be cutting out the middle bars and keeping the toyota badge, then lightly sanding and smoothing down where the bars once were, having it resprayed and put some mesh on it.

should look sexy if it turns out how it looks in my head! :P

for an idea what i mean, check out the ts01 concept.

Edited by lateralus

It's just two bolts then slide it backwards slightly then upwards...too easy :)

BTW you can get body colour grilles from factory so maybe just call around a few wreckers and see if you can get one cheap :D

lol

maybe i'll get a coloured dark blue gril from the wreakers :spiteful: lol that ought to look real funny with a white paint job! haha

btw relish, you know where to get our colour code? (code 061). supercheap and repco didnt have that white colour code, they just had the pre 2000 toyota white colours.

i want to paint my door trim white.

Lol exact same idea I had for my gen4 grille :P although I was tossing up between maybe keeping the middle bar, doesn't matter anymore GTP FTW :D

If I where you Id'e go to a paint shop and have them mix it up to your code, maybe even a panel beater would do it for you.

It will be a lil more expensive but the paint will actually match rather than the junk cans at most Auto stores.

But if your set on going cheap just look for OKa paint code which is the pre 2000 diamond white on my car, it should be the same :)

Lol exact same idea I had for my gen4 grille :P although I was tossing up between maybe keeping the middle bar, doesn't matter anymore GTP FTW :D

If I where you Id'e go to a paint shop and have them mix it up to your code, maybe even a panel beater would do it for you.

It will be a lil more expensive but the paint will actually match rather than the junk cans at most Auto stores.

But if your set on going cheap just look for OKa paint code which is the pre 2000 diamond white on my car, it should be the same :)

cheers for that. oka code it will be

you know what NOT TO DO!

spend 1.5hours masking up a freakin toyota sign on the grill. ZOMG. but i guess its worth it,

post-5384-1226128029_thumb.jpg lol

Ummmm :whistling: you can just unclip the toyota emblem :P

You did a damn good job on the masking even though it's somewhat pointless :D

i tried unclipping as i did the gen3 ones. it just came right off, HOWEVER with mine i couldnt (or rather after trying for a long time).

there is no clip at the back either. how would u unclip yours?

btw, mine's a march 02 grill.

I just sort of eased it off from the front, If I remember correctly it had a couple of pegs to hold it in and thats it.

yea nope. i found out the hard way. maybe my grill is retarded. its glued on. #$^&%

zero pegs either.

ba$tard$

but! where did u find your gtp grill? wreakers?

i would have thought the chances of me finding a gtp camry in the wreakers would be sooooo rare. even if there was one, someone would have pinched the body in an instant i reckon lol.

• 4 months later...
That grill is something i want too and have been looking for for ages.

I havent been able to find them either. Im still searching. If i do find them i'll be sure to let you know :D

I've been looking for the Sportivo grille for ages as well... Now I'm settling for new or used! :lol:

I've been looking for the Sportivo grille for ages as well...

I am sure many of us are!

There was one on eBay a few weeks back, only the seller took it down before the end of the auction. So I mailed him, and he said he was clearing out a warehouse and this was one of the items, but he discovered it was cracked and had a manufacture default of the mounting positions. I said I would still buy it, but never heard back. :(

• 5 months later...
i'm trying to source a grille my for sportivo similar to the one below, but i can only find one with the chrome around the outside of it, which i don't want. i just want it to be the colour of the c

Hi, I took another line. Car is a 1998 Vienta Grande with a 5 bar grill. Decided it would look heaps better chromed so I bought some wide chrome pin stripe tape and went to work. It looks 100 percent. If wear quality isn't up to scratch although its going well so far, I'll pull the tape off undercoat the grill, re pin stripe it and give the lot a few coats of clear lacquer which should be tough enough. cost $12 for pin stripe tape.