OK Noobs, Lets get serious!

Pippy

• 2 weeks later...

small update...

Here's a pic of the old exedy clutch plate that came out, 3 of the 4 spring retainers were cracked through just waiting for the springs to fall out and jam the pressure plate....

http://www.purcellperformance.com/uploads/Exedy_plate1.jpg

Also a quick vid of the setup in action, only using partial throttle until about 3000rpm to have some chance of traction ;)

small update...

Here's a pic of the old exedy clutch plate that came out, 3 of the 4 spring retainers were cracked through just waiting for the springs to fall out and jam the pressure plate....

http://www.purcellperformance.com/uploads/Exedy_plate1.jpg

Also a quick vid of the setup in action, only using partial throttle until about 3000rpm to have some chance of traction ;)

You'll be needing some LSD :P :P :P :P

As for the clutch plate, what caused it?

As for the clutch plate, what caused it?

that'd be ther turbo setup Guan.... LoL

I know Ando.

Was after details ................... <_<

it wasn't the turbo setup that caused the clutch plate damage. That's the 5th exedy plate I've pulled from transverse toyota setups with exactly the same fault. I believe Northy had exactly the same fault too.

...the car also has a LSD 6-speed box, it doesn't help much... Needs stickier rubber.

it wasn't the turbo setup that caused the clutch plate damage. That's the 5th exedy plate I've pulled from transverse toyota setups with exactly the same fault. I believe Northy had exactly the same fault too.

...the car also has a LSD 6-speed box, it doesn't help much... Needs stickier rubber.

And this is Exedy HD clutch we're talking about??

Are they always like that?

3x TYD035U plates and 2x TYD112U.

The TYD035U plate is the organic disc supplied in the corolla/sportivo HD kits. It's the damper spring retainer stamping design that causes the failures, everyone I've seen has broken in the same spot. When the fail you can't disengage the clutch.

Rubber at the moment is a set of Falken 451's from my mrs's levin while the enkie rims are refinished. It will get some sort of semi-slicks when the rims are done.

So Exedy is sh!t relatively speaking. You have just confirmed what I have occasionally found in my searches ........ What clutch would you recommend or use yourself in place of Exedy?

I was looking at extreme clutches.

I see a lot of torque steer there. as well .... What LSD are you running ?

The Exedy "Racing" centers are a lot better, but not easy to find locally on anything other than the sports ceramic discs.

The extreme clutches also use a damper design that fails, I've had one of those pop a spring too as have others... eg: http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/dc2rrrr/DSCF1632.jpg

I've been looking at some full-face clutch discs from the US that seem to use the Exedy Racing damper center, havent found someone to sell me a few discs only at this stage.

We didn't bother splitting the box to see what LSD was installed in Japan, works well though and is very predictable.

Yes you can sweep the speedo too, that uses up one digital input and one analogue output. We'll be enabling that function on this car when it gets upgraded to the big-brother Vipec V88, at the moment with the water injection and boost solenoids controlled by the V44 we've used up all the outputs.

Edited by CHA54

Looking that ACS comes off the same production line as Exedy, won't be suprised then.

So is there any from MWR worth looking at?

For convinience.....

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

I believe Bill's using an MWR clutch now after his Exedy popped a spring.

Cools ..........

Question, does the gearbox differs if its a RHD or LHD ???

I was looking at the Matrix's and Corollas from the States.

Are their gearboxes straight swap/pop in/compatible with ours ???

Hi All,

For those a bit concerned about the fuel consumption of their car when modding, here is a good consideration to factor into your selection of ECU or modding in general. Here are some fuel consumption statistics I have recorded over the past few months.

Experiment constants (Note: this is a real world experiment, so lets not get too scientific about the fuel contents of each top up etc etc)

Fuel: Vortex 98 (all from the same pump)

Period: 3 weeks

Driving style: Daily commute over 3 weeks and weekends. Some may say I drive my car consistently hard.

Results 1 – Power FC @6psi

ECU: Apexi Power-FC

Boost: 6psi

Average: 10.48L / 100km

Results 2 – Vi-PEC @11psi

ECU: Vi-PEC V44

Boost: 9psi

Average: 9.72L / 100km

Now, it did not make much sense to me when I first plucked the figures into the spreadsheet. The setup remained the same, in fact the Vi-PEC is running more boost and is producing more power than the lower boost tune on the Power FC so how can it use less fuel over the same period of driving??

After triple checking the calculations, I have concluded that one of the MAJOR difference between the two is the ECU is that the Vi-PEC uses closed loop fuel control on cruise and idle, as for the Power FC uses open loop fuel control.

This was quite new to me, but the ability to enable the ECU to talk to a wideband O2 sensor and allow self fuel adjustments on a series of self defined parameters is unreal for me!! More power and driving harder with less overall fuel consumption is pretty clever!!

Some food for thought.

Cheers.

Edited by Pippy

• 9 months later...
Blown up yet? :P

Nope, not even close.

10,000km on 9psi (stock wastegate pressure)

after that the boost was changed to...

1st gear - wastegate pressure (9psi)

2nd gear - approx 10 psi

3rd gear - approx 12 psi

4th, 5th and 6th - almost 14psi

she hasn't popped, and the best thing is, no oil loss either! :) But plenty of tyre loss :(

VERY happy with it.