OK Noobs, Lets get serious!

Pippy

you can't exactly call it "DIY"if you have tools like a flat bed mill etc etc in a shed. It is kind of cheating LOL

DIY is using a grinder from Supercheap, a tube of "knead it"(hey north LOL), an ancient stick welder(haha) and a can of silver frost (hehehehe), and some 2nd hand blunt drill bits.......

you can't exactly call it "DIY"if you have tools like a flat bed mill etc etc in a shed. It is kind of cheating LOL

DIY is using a grinder from Supercheap, a tube of "knead it"(hey north LOL), an ancient stick welder(haha) and a can of silver frost (hehehehe), and some 2nd hand blunt drill bits.......

hehe, now now silva, DIY is doing stuff yourself, the mill and lathe aren't CNC (still DIY if they are).

from the items you have listed no wonder you guys are worried about hurting yourselves when doing DIY.

This is DIY the proper way! :)

Project is coming along nicely 1ZZE FTMFW!!! Just curious as to what size turbo that is?

Turbo is a TD04L out of a 2008 WRX. :)

hehe, now now silva, DIY is doing stuff yourself, the mill and lathe aren't CNC (still DIY if they are).

from the items you have listed no wonder you guys are worried about hurting yourselves when doing DIY.

Project is coming along nicely 1ZZE FTMFW!!! Just curious as to what size turbo that is?

hey,

good work and congrats.... u guys are masters!!!!! well done.

u can do my 1zz when ur done lol

Some more progress.

Rotated the turbo housing today to suit the positioning in the bay. This involved turning up new mounts for the wastegate actuator, and welding them onto the housing.

project30.jpg

Here's a test fit of the turbo manifold, it was a really easy fit, easy access and provided much more clearance to brake lines and definitely steering rack too.

project31.jpg

With the turbo in place... this shows why the turbo housing was rotated.

project32.jpg

We made a start with the dump pipe and couldn't stop! :)

project33.jpg

project34.jpg

project35.jpg

Note the tight wrap around to clear the steering rack, power steering and misc bits that are there... :)

project36.jpg

Side view...

project37.jpg

Mate that's certainly not how I do DIY but is moreso what the average person may have available to them(the Knead it bit is to stir Northy LOL) :toast:

But are you doing this or is Jason doing it?? Cause if Jason is doing it then it isn't DIY then is it LOL :yahoo:

That looks pretty well thought out, coming from somebody who's just started making custom intake and exhaust manifolds at work. Where did you get your book from? I've been trying to track down a copy in Australia and haven't had much luck.

Lucky you're in QLD. :)

UQ Engineering Library, you'll be amazed at what you can find there!

Mate that's certainly not how I do DIY but is moreso what the average person may have available to them(the Knead it bit is to stir Northy LOL) :toast:

But are you doing this or is Jason doing it?? Cause if Jason is doing it then it isn't DIY then is it LOL :yahoo:

Jason and Jason, joint project, still a DIY! Purcell Performance as far as i'm concerned. 2 brains is better than one, put 2 very resourceful people together this is what you get.

btw, i thought wei wei was the Knead it king. :P

Jason and Jason, joint project, still a DIY! Purcell Performance as far as i'm concerned. 2 brains is better than one, put 2 very resourceful people together this is what you get.

btw, i thought wei wei was the Knead it king. :P

Maybe that was where Northy got it from LOL

That looks pretty well thought out, coming from somebody who's just started making custom intake and exhaust manifolds at work. Where did you get your book from? I've been trying to track down a copy in Australia and haven't had much luck.

Lucky you're in QLD. :)

UQ Engineering Library, you'll be amazed at what you can find there!

Ahh, excellent. I might have to pop in there and photocopy, if I can't find one.

Got the ceramic coating sorted today for the turbo manifold, with a turned up bung for mounting the heat shield. (note: bottom one is for a 20V)

project38.jpg

Here's what it looks like on the motor

project39.jpg

project40.jpg

Heat shield is made from ACL heat shield sheet, and mounted with bolts on the manifold and dump pipe

project41.jpg

Intercooler mounting is also sorted!! :)

project42.jpg

project43.jpg

This is what it looks like in the engine bay, test fitted. Surprise! everything fits. :)

project44.jpg

project45.jpg

Knead It did the job that was required....

Looking real good guys. That manifold is nice and compact. Are you going to paint/coat the intake manifold or staying with the raw look?

haha! that knead it reminded me of that H7 mount you had to make! that was gold!

As for the intake, i think i might leave it alloy, but rub it with a bit of polish and keep it a brushed looked.

Knead It did the job that was required....

Looking real good guys. That manifold is nice and compact. Are you going to paint/coat the intake manifold or staying with the raw look?

haha! that knead it reminded me of that H7 mount you had to make! that was gold!

As for the intake, i think i might leave it alloy, but rub it with a bit of polish and keep it a brushed looked.

Anodize FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting some important stuff done today and something a bit more interesting. :)

Before we get started, incase people have wonder who is acutally doing the welding. Here she is!

welder.jpg

Oil pan mods for the oil return on the turbo. An steel AN -10 bun was used for this job.

project46.jpg

project47.jpg

The inside was a pain to do, but she did a nice neat job!

project48.jpg

The path of the radiator hose has been changed to provide more space for plumbing. Silicone radiator hoses are used.

project49.jpg

The intake pipe with rampod is mocked up and test fitted with the first mock up of the 'easier' cooler pipe

project50.jpg

Here's another view with the start of the turbo outlet pipe

project51.jpg

Getting there! :)

where did u learn how to do all this?

how much did everything cost u roughly?

how many kw atws r u expecting to pull out?

Experience

You get to learn a bit when you have been mucking around with the same car for over 5 years and it also helps when you have friends that have even more experience up their sleeves. :) Other than that, it requires a lot of reading and experiementing to get it right, also other forums are great places to learn what other have done wrong and understand what's required so you don't fall in the same trap!

Cost

Well, i can't really put $$ to the project right now as most of the cost has gone towards the time spent. I will try and itemise things for everyone when i'm done, but to give you an idea how hard it is for me to work it out, i have bought enough gear and raw materials to build the same kit at least twice and another 2 or 3 kits for another motor like a 4AGE 16V or 20V

Power

I don't know what i am expecting to be honest, i don't even know how much boost the stock actuator does on the 2008 wrx turbo. :) lets say i'd be modest and estimate 150kw, but would expect full boost before 3000rpm and mountains of torque, and hopefull not spat rods... :P