OK Noobs, Lets get serious!

Pippy

Well I went to the darker side and am currently building a 2.7L flat 4 VW engine for the back of my Kombi. Aiming for 400 odd NM of torque and about 250hp atw. Bring on your 2ZZ N/A's boys cause you are going to need all the help you can get to "try" and beat the soon to be "angry" block of flats... :toast::toast:

Very nice project here!! My sister has a 1ZZ-FE motor and they lag so hard, although hers is dead stock.

Id like to see the improvements this thing makes... You should have done a dyno comparison before/after.

I have a few questions for you though...

1. Are you going to be running an aftermarket ECU? If so, which one?

2. How big was the standard throttle body?

3. How big is your new throttle body going to be?

4. I know your not jumping to conclusions or anything, but how much power & torque are you planning to push out of this inlet?

5. Will you have supporting bolt on's for this car?

It's not an all out attempt at gaining massive power, more like a few blokes, a few tools and a shed.

:toast: PP FTW!

And even that is too much ..... a few blokes & a kebab shop ........ is all thats needed ...... :toast: :toast: Kebab performance FTW !!!!!

Comeback of the year! :toast:

Edited by TRIPPER

Very nice project here!! My sister has a 1ZZ-FE motor and they lag so hard, although hers is dead stock.

Id like to see the improvements this thing makes... You should have done a dyno comparison before/after.

I have a few questions for you though...

4. I know your not jumping to conclusions or anything, but how much power & torque are you planning to push out of this inlet?

It's not an all out attempt at gaining massive power, more like a few blokes, a few tools and a shed.

:toast: PP FTW!

And even that is too much ..... a few blokes & a kebab shop ........ is all thats needed ...... :toast: :toast: Kebab performance FTW !!!!!

Comeback of the year! :toast:

TRIPPER, This might help answer some of your questions: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15425 :)

If that's a bit too much for you at absorb in one go, i shall answer your questions for you individually.

Already running a Apexi Power-FC, and have a Adaptronic and Vi-Pec lined up.

Standard 1zz-fe throttle bodies are 52mm inner dia, excluding DBW TB

Not going to be. Already is 60mm inner dia, 70 at opening

Power and torque would depend on which source for force induction will be applied as the project is not an NA project (as the short runners on the intake manifold would suggest)

Mate, noobs go for 'supporting bolt on'. As far as i'm concerned, there's no supporting bolt on available on the market for my project, all require modification or fabrication.

Best come back of the year?? i'm not so sure about that buddy, coz i think i just top the award for comeback of the year! :toast: :toast:

peace.

Something a bit more interesting today...

Choosing the turbo to use.

project15.jpg

Ummm... It was a toss up where to mount the turbo, either high mount, low mount or side mount (on top of gearbox), and this is what we came up with, after test fitting in the bay it still offered plenty of clearance. The jig was made ready for the runners to be positioned

project16.jpg

project17.jpg

project18.jpg

The runners used are thick wall steam pipes, and here are the most tricky bits positioned, the collector and runner positioned

project19.jpg

a sign of a good thought out turbo intall is the intercooler plumbing, will u be coming back over the exhaust turbine? or following the inlet plumbing side?

i have a feeling that he has copied one blue bombshell with regards to the plumbing on the cooler ;) ;) ;) ;)

new_cooler2.jpg

Jase care to comment ........

Still so jealous how much room you got back there... I HATE YOU!!!

u just went totally down the wrong path jimmy :P :P :P :P :P

HAHAHA! that's a crack up bill, poor jimmy. :D

Yes i think you might be right Bill, i think that might have to be the route the intercooler has to go, as i can't come up with any other sensible path!!

btw, holy hell your cooler is big :D i don't think i'd go for anything quite as big, well, i don't really have a turbo quite as big either. I do like the idea of keeping my skinny little rods where they're suppose to stay! :)

Yes i think you might be right Bill, i think that might have to be the route the intercooler has to go, as i can't come up with any other sensible path!!

btw, holy hell your cooler is big :D i don't think i'd go for anything quite as big, well, i don't really have a turbo quite as big either. I do like the idea of keeping my skinny little rods where they're suppose to stay! :)

well its not to late to change your exhaust manafold is it? sti top mount maybe lol jokeing

Yes jimmy is just jealous he cant ride cool like a rice bubble like us ..... but yet he's stuck in a female hair dressers car :lol: :lol: :lol::whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

oh no no, i think bill and i mean the intercooler bits, as for the turbo outlet/inlet will definitely be different to bill's

Bill - still think its a sexy setup you got there. :)

Yes jimmy is just jealous he cant ride cool like a rice bubble like us ..... but yet he's stuck in a female hair dressers car :lol: :lol: :lol::whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

now now bill, we don't need all the celica boys to come on here and start a b!tch fight! :lol:

i love our bubble!! only if the rear suspension setup is a bit more sensible... :(

I'm disappointed, I haven't seen 1 piece of rope this entire thread!

:lol::lol::lol: Best post so far this thread... pity only about 3 people on this forum will know the meaning to it.... I am pretty sure this one has been done completely rope free..... far change from the olden days lol

I'm disappointed, I haven't seen 1 piece of rope this entire thread!

:lol::lol::lol: Best post so far this thread... pity only about 3 people on this forum will know the meaning to it.... I am pretty sure this one has been done completely rope free..... far change from the olden days lol

rope !!!!!! zip ties FTW!!!!!!!!!

With flanges provided, a set of 20V quads onto a 2zz isn't hard. It's already been done in Brisbane. It could be made to work with the stock ECU, it would be nowhere near it's potential though. You'd also have to figure out how to do your idle control as the 20V Idle stepper valve feeds the intermediate manifold between the quads and head in a stock setup. The ZZ's use a PWM controlled idle valve built into the throttle body, so some extra thinking is required there to make it work.

I was kinda hoping you would say that it was all too hard . . . so much for the car I bought to stop spending money on cars :rolleyes:

So any guestimate as to what kinda figures may (obviously not going to hold you to anything, just a general idea) be achieved with the quads on a stock motor with, for example, an Apexi Power FC or one of the computers that you listed?

I have a feeling this could get dangerous . . .

With flanges provided, a set of 20V quads onto a 2zz isn't hard. It's already been done in Brisbane. It could be made to work with the stock ECU, it would be nowhere near it's potential though. You'd also have to figure out how to do your idle control as the 20V Idle stepper valve feeds the intermediate manifold between the quads and head in a stock setup. The ZZ's use a PWM controlled idle valve built into the throttle body, so some extra thinking is required there to make it work.

I was kinda hoping you would say that it was all too hard . . . so much for the car I bought to stop spending money on cars :rolleyes:

So any guestimate as to what kinda figures may (obviously not going to hold you to anything, just a general idea) be achieved with the quads on a stock motor with, for example, an Apexi Power FC or one of the computers that you listed?

I have a feeling this could get dangerous . . .

Do I hear the rustle of....... "PASSION FINGERS"....... :whistling::whistling:

Been a busy weekend!! Several hours both days have the turbo manifold pretty much complete!! :) YAY!

here are some piccys...

A shot of the collector and the space we're working with... the idea is to make it as compact as possible.

project20.jpg

Another runner

project21.jpg

project22.jpg

Yet another...

project23.jpg

All of them positioned!

project24.jpg

project25.jpg

Welded

project26.jpg

This is what the turbo looks like on it...

project27.jpg

project28.jpg

Final prep before sending off to get coated... facing! DIY FTW!!

project29.jpg