OK Noobs, Lets get serious!

Pippy

Hurry up with the vipec.. I'm waiting for you guys to be the guinea pig before I jump on board.

so have you got rid of the silly car yet Jimmy and bought a corolla??? :toast::yahoo:

Hurry up with the vipec.. I'm waiting for you guys to be the guinea pig before I jump on board.

so have you got rid of the silly car yet Jimmy and bought a corolla??? :toast::yahoo:

Now that's silly aint it.. Nope, not selling it for time being. Having abit of fun with it first. :spiteful:

Now that's silly aint it.. Nope, not selling it for time being. Having abit of fun with it first. :spiteful:

no ..... i'd say its finally seeing the light and upgrading to a superior model :P :P :P :P :P

no ..... i'd say its finally seeing the light and upgrading to a superior model :P :P :P :P :P

Going from a 2 door "sports car" to a 4 door "family car "??? Hmmm..... :P

You just want me to join you guys because I'm cool... :P :P :P :P

Edited by 51EKA

Going from a 2 door "sports car" to a 4 door "family car "??? Hmmm..... :P

You just want me to join you guys because I'm cool... :P :P :P :P

my family bubble will hand u ur sports car a.s.s 2 u :P :P :P :P

What ever makes you happy Bill... :P

You just wait till I'm built. If the power I'm making now with a 200,000k engine on low boost is an indication of what's to come. Be afraid... :P

Edited by 51EKA

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

well... now we're all ready for the next stage of the green machine's evolution, the powerfc is being replaced with:

2009_05050001b.jpg

ViPec V44 ECU

Evo bolt-on map sensor

Purcell performance plug-in loom

Intake air temp sensor

Knock box with headphone output to read from factory knock sensor

Should have it ready in a week or so, then off to the dyno.

Looking forward to the flexibility of this ECU, expecting much much more control than a Power FC.

Anyone interested in a plug and play kit for the 1zz Power-FC?? :D

ViPec V44 ECU

Evo bolt-on map sensor

Purcell performance plug-in loom

Intake air temp sensor

Knock box with headphone output to read from factory knock sensor

Will there be a 2zz compatible vipec or is it just a matter of getting the right loom?

they fit basically anything, there's plugin-boards for a bunch of toyota's which screw into the factory ECU case but for the 2zz you'll need to either make or have someone else make an adapter loom if you want it to be plug-in.

I'll post some video's of some of the cooler features once I finish this one.

they fit basically anything, there's plugin-boards for a bunch of toyota's which screw into the factory ECU case but for the 2zz you'll need to either make or have someone else make an adapter loom if you want it to be plug-in.

I'll post some video's of some of the cooler features once I finish this one.

Can't wait .... :yahoo:

Looking forward to the flexibility of this ECU, expecting much much more control than a Power FC.

Anyone interested in a plug and play kit for the 1zz Power-FC?? :D

Maybe interested...

Has the car had any issues??

Cant wait to see the results

Can the vipec 44 lower 2zz lift engagement point like the pfc can ?

Yes it can. The lift engagement can be triggered anyway you like, best to set it up with a RPM V's TPS table.

It's a full replacement ECU, only you have a lot more functionality compared to a PFC.

Edited by CHA54

Plug-in loom for the Vipec V44 is basically complete. I just have to machine up the perspex base plate for the ECU socket which the loom secures to and add a delphi plug to accomodate the wideband input and boost controller solenoid output:

V44_1ZZFTE_loom1.jpg

Can the vipec 44 lower 2zz lift engagement point like the pfc can ?

Yes it can. The lift engagement can be triggered anyway you like, best to set it up with a RPM V's TPS table.

It's a full replacement ECU, only you have a lot more functionality compared to a PFC.

What functionality are we taking about with the 2zz that are available with the Vipec as compare to the PFC ?

So this means the Vipec has a higher resolution??

Comparable to e-Manage ultimate + v-manage ???

Cheers.

it's a fairly large list...

I'll go into detail of some features that would be of benefit/intrest to zz owners.

User Definable load and RPM sites.

-Instead of being stuck with pre-defined increments for rpm and load cell spacing, you can define the points however you like. These points can even be changed in realtime... eg, I wanted an RPM column at exactly the rpm my forester cruises at 100kph and 110kph in 6th gear, so I simply right clicked the rpm axis in the fuel table and added a column for each, which were added dynamically and automatically populated with interpolated values from adjacent cells. This allowed me to get exactly the AFR I wanted when cruising without requiring an interpolated value from two or more other cells. You can't do this easily with the powerfc, it's quite a pain in the ***** actually in comparison.

-Say you want finer control of fuel/timing/vvt intake angle at your pre-defined lift engagement point... You can simply add more load/rpm sites to any of the maps which enables to you tune a perfect lift engagement for smooth power.

Direct USB connection to notebook for tuning/pc datalogging, Virtual Dash on carpc etc

-Simply plug your notebook in and away you go... with the powerfc you need an FC-Datalogit if you want laptop connectivity or datalogging functionality. FC Datalogit is $375US delivered.

Multitude of user-configurable inputs/outputs

-Would you like an completely configurable shift/warning light? Simply configure one of the vipec auxillary outputs to trigger a shift/warning lamp of your choice

-Same goes if you want to run NOS/Water injection etc, the vipec can control these too without issue

-You can also add a toggle switch to any of the digital inputs which can then be used to switch between fuel/ignition/vvt/boost maps, say you want to have your car tuned for race fuel for the track, you can use the toggle switch to change between maps. With the powerfc you need to connect a notebook and load the complete other map, then connect again and load your normal map back once done. In my forester I have two boost maps, a 14psi map for the Mrs where the boost comes on gradually, and a 19psi map for myself which comes on quite hard, controlled by a simple switch.

-In Pippy's car I've setup one of the outputs to operate a MAC solenoid which provides him with gear-based boost control... lower boost in 1st and 2nd gear and then higher boost in 3rd etc once it's rolling and has enough traction, another of the outputs is setup to control his water/meth injection. Cant do this with a powerfc

Autotune of fuel map/s

-You can interface a wideband o2 sensor directly with the ECU and take advantage of the autotune functionality to quickly dial in your fuel maps to your pre-defined target AFR map. eg

PowerFC doesn't have this

Closed Loop Fuel Control

-Vipecs can do closed loop fuel control using your target AFR table with a wideband o2 controller, this works very well and is very handy for keeping your AFR's exactly where you want them where ever you want in the map (User definable limits and correction values for safety). PowerFC doesn't have this

Onboard Datalogging

-The vipecs have onboard datalogging to flash memory, if you track your car this is quite usefull as you can configure the start/stop parameters of the logging or even use one of the digital inputs and a switch to manually trigger the logging. PowerFC doesn't have this

Launch control

-Want the best possible lauches at the drags? :P The vipecs have launch control which has a bunch of options to enable you to get off the line quickly

Direct interface to race clusters (AIM MXL, Motec ADL etc) http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html

Ability to change to a MAP sensor instead of the MAF.

- If you dont want your MAF, you can easily change to a MAP sensor, the V44 has a built in map sensor or can use an external sensor, V88 has no internal map sensor. This is also handy if you want to do something different like running quad throttles with open trumpets ;) Cant do this with a PFC

Drive-by-wire

-If you've got a DBW facelift ZZE122, you can use a Vipec V88 and completely remove the original ECU, this allows you to program the throttle response exactly how you want it. PowerFC doesn't have a chance of running DBW. The Rotrex'd Elise on the Aussielise forum is an example of a DBW 1zz running on a V88 Vipec.

Compatible with multiple engines

-When the time comes to upgrade your car to something better, you can remove the vipec, install the factory ECU and use the Vipec on your new motor (eg, if you upgrade to an Evo, 200SX etc etc from your corolla, the vipec can run the new motor just fine). You can't do this with vehicle-specific powerfc's.

There's plenty more differences but I CBF typing anymore ;)

Edited by CHA54

You make it sound sooooooooooo easy.

Does that mean I can tune it myself (like no experience what so ever)???

:P :P :P :P :P :P

Where to acquire one? Does the 2zz loom need to be made up myself ?

If you've never tuned an engine before I'm quite sure you'll blow your engine no matter what ecu you choose if you try and tune it yourself.

You'll either need to make up the 2zz plugin adapter yourself or have someone make one for you.

JPC are the Victorian Vipec dealer, http://www.jpc.com.au/ . I'm not sure how good they are with N/A 4cylinders though. In Sydney Scott at Insight Motorsports is the guy to see: http://www.insightmotorsports.com.au/

well, Pippy dropped the car around tonight for the clutch install to start first thing tomorrow... I just had to plug in the ViPEC to see if it would start, here's the result:

Car has been running since the weekend now, still making some small adjustments before it goes to the dyno. Here's a couple of pics of what I did to get the vipec in the zze...

Physical mounting of the ecu to the vehicle:

-I used an old ZZE ECU case we had spare and bolted the vipec mounting bracket inside it, now the vipec clips into the stock ECU case and screws to the stock ECU mounts. No double sided tape required like the PFC...

V44_mounted1.jpg

Plenum modifications to run desired map sensor and intake air temp sensor:

-The previous dual-maf setup has now been removed, in it's place is an EVO8 map sensor and a vipec 1/8npt intake air temp sensor.

-I machined up a mounting boss and welded it to the plenum for the map sensor, the intake sensor screwed into one of the spare 1/8ntp ports I'd previously put in the plenum. The two barb fittings are for the greddy boost guage map sensor and the blow off valve

-The MAF could have been retained with the vipec but the map/IAT setup is much more robust.

1zz_plenum_mod1.jpg

1zz_plenum_mod2.jpg

Completion of the ViPEC V44 to ZZE Corolla adapter loom:

-Perspex base plate was machined so the loom could be secured in place which ensures there's no flexing or strain on the wire-to-pin interface

-ViPEC Knock Box was added to provide knock monitoring and compensation capability, it's the black box in the picture, it also has a jack on the side you can use to monitor engine knock while tuning via headphones... extremely usefull.

-The connection of the knock box to the adapter loom has been made modular, the knock box can be added or removed as required... This allows me to easily use it on other cars when tuning.

ZZE122_V44.jpg

Edited by CHA54