OK Noobs, Lets get serious!

Pippy

still waiting to see if u can get ur puppy down into the 12's :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Give me a break bill, i only just started! :) but yes, would be nice if i can get anywhere near 12s.

mate if its not pulling 12's im gonna be seriously disappointed in Purcell Performances workmanship ...... at which point you then come and speak to us at kebab performance and we'll sort it out for u :whistling: :whistling: :whistling::lol: :lol: :lol:

lol declaring a war there bill? :P

I will reserve my judgement till i actually see it running in a car. So what ever happened to the abandoned turbo 1ZZ project from PP??

This one is alot more thorough then my attempt several years ago, (learning from your mistakes is the best way to learn, there has been more thought and considerations put into this attempt then when I tried to rush it all together) .... as for all the bits and pices amassed from my attempt they were all sold off pretty much straight away, The Blue rolla is now my wifes car.

still waiting to see if u can get ur puppy down into the 12's :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Give me a break bill, i only just started! :) but yes, would be nice if i can get anywhere near 12s.

mate if its not pulling 12's im gonna be seriously disappointed in Purcell Performances workmanship ...... at which point you then come and speak to us at kebab performance and we'll sort it out for u :whistling: :whistling: :whistling::lol: :D :P

Hehe, Sure! When we're done we'll also lay down the $$$ value spent on the project and see which one has a bigger bang for buck, or the $$ value per second faster, then i think it'll be a fair comparison. ;)

I will reserve my judgement till i actually see it running in a car. So what ever happened to the abandoned turbo 1ZZ project from PP??

The abandoned turbo 1zz is exactly that, abandoned. :)

Thumbs up to Pippy and PP for continual development of the 1zzfe. This thread has the weight of 50 Noob Cai threads.

As Pippy said, in his first post, the 1ZZFE is a motor that he feels extra power can be extracted for relatively cheap dollars.

It's not an all out attempt at gaining massive power, more like two blokes, a few tools and a shed.

:toast: PP FTW!

Edited by RME1

It's not an all out attempt at gaining massive power, more like a few blokes, a few tools and a shed.

:toast: PP FTW!

And even that is too much ..... a few blokes & a kebab shop ........ is all thats needed ...... :toast: :toast: Kebab performance FTW !!!!!

All welded up!

The throttle body port on the intake manifold is matched to the enlarged throttle body.

project13.jpg

That's the first stage of the whole project done! :)

So, does it even fit some of you ask?

it sure does look like it fits to me! :)

project14.jpg

For those interested in the technical development of this plennum, it is the same volume as the stock plennum. As this might already seem evident to majority of people, this designed and made for forced induction in mind, hence the selectively shorter runners. With the help of ol mate Winterbone et al, and some headache maths, we're rather confident this would definitely perform better than the stock plastic plennum.

for those interested... Winterbone and Pearson wrote this wonderful book.

book.jpg

Edited by Pippy

we're rather confident this would definitely perform better than the stock plastic plennum.

mate i think anything other than that plastic manifold would perform better under F/I ...... have u seen wats happened to a crap load of the 1zz's in the US going turbo ????? a crap load of them had the internal plastic of the manifold crumble and wreck havoc with the engine ........ def better than having a piece of plastic trying to contain all that air

good stuff

Bill

So, does it even fit some of you ask?

it sure does look like it fits to me! :)

For those interested in the technical development of this plennum, it is the same volume as the stock plennum. As this might already seem evident to majority of people, this designed and made for forced induction in mind, hence the selectively shorter runners. With the help of ol mate Winterbone et al, and some headache maths, we're rather confident this would definitely perform better than the stock plastic plennum.

for those interested... Winterbone and Pearson wrote this wonderful book.

Wow, there's great deal of study in creating that awesome looking manifold. I like.

Looking good Jase, does this mean i can buy your SC now? :P

dave, sure! its coming off soon enough and i have all the bits to get it running if you want it! :)

Ok, it just has to be asked.

Does this fit a 2zz :lol:

Funny you asked that Dave, the ports on the 1zz actually lines up with the 2zz, however the studs are in different locations.

As part of the initial research i did, i considered using the 2zz plennum for my spare motor, however why bother when it more fun make one? :)

i think with a different flange to suit a 2zz head would be simple! :)

Ok, it just has to be asked.

Does this fit a 2zz :lol:

Dammit, someone always beats me to it . . .

I think it looks ****** hot, obviously there is some serious research/prep in this project, and from the pics it appears as though its paying off. Any idea for the punters amongst us as to how much you have saved by DIYing this as opposed to handing some drawings to a workshop?

The quads comments have me thinking, does the intake port spacing being the same between 1zz and 2zz mean that the 20v quads would theoretically 'fit' a 2zz as well?

The intake would run in the ~$1K pricerange from a workshop I'd guess if you provided the design specs and cad files, more if you just have the engineering drawings on paper which then have to be drafted up in autocad etc for the laser cutting place. If they're going to CNC the base plate ports that will take quite a lot of CNC time, so the price may get bumped even higher. For NA you'd want longer runners and raised bellmouths in the plenum (Up from the base), overall pretty easy changes to make but the raised bellmouths would add about $180 to the price in material too...

With flanges provided, a set of 20V quads onto a 2zz isn't hard. It's already been done in Brisbane. It could be made to work with the stock ECU, it would be nowhere near it's potential though. You'd also have to figure out how to do your idle control as the 20V Idle stepper valve feeds the intermediate manifold between the quads and head in a stock setup. The ZZ's use a PWM controlled idle valve built into the throttle body, so some extra thinking is required there to make it work.

Not too hard with a half-decent aftermarket ECU, you can fabricate the ISCV outlet into the adapter manifold runners and then retain the stock 20V ISCV which would be fed from the custom intake plenum on the quads or with just an extra little filter on the end of the ISCV inlet (like some DBW users do with the cam cover inlet on the 1zz's when using TRD CAI). Keep in mind you will need an aftermarket ECU that can control the VVT in closed loop fashion, drive the individual coilpacks, and have enough outputs left over to contol the stepper motor, lift and other ancillaries you have (Purge control valve etc etc). Adaptronic can do this, as can Motec (When the options are purchased), and a new player on the aftermarket ECU scene can too, the Vi-Pec from Ray Hall (Former international Autronic distributor). Closed loop cam control is basically a must on a 2zz, I'd give any ECU that can only do open loop control a miss.

As for a plenum to go with the 20V quads, here's a pic of the basic plenum I make for turbocharged 20V's... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/up...-1223890584.jpg

Note, the pipework in that pic is NOT from me, I was quite dissapointed when I saw that pipework in a bay with one of my plenums...

Edited by rollamods

Looking good Jase, does this mean i can buy your SC now? :P

dave, sure! its coming off soon enough and i have all the bits to get it running if you want it! :)

mmmmmm.... very tempting....

but i think i need to finish my thesis and get a job first, my pissy scholarship ain't going to cut it :P

The intake would run in the ~$1K pricerange from a workshop I'd guess if you provided the design specs and cad files, more if you just have the engineering drawings on paper which then have to be drafted up in autocad etc for the laser cutting place. If they're going to CNC the base plate ports that will take quite a lot of CNC time, so the price may get bumped even higher. For NA you'd want longer runners and raised bellmouths in the plenum (Up from the base), overall pretty easy changes to make but the raised bellmouths would add about $180 to the price in material too...

With flanges provided, a set of 20V quads onto a 2zz isn't hard. It's already been done in Brisbane. It could be made to work with the stock ECU, it would be nowhere near it's potential though. You'd also have to figure out how to do your idle control as the 20V Idle stepper valve feeds the intermediate manifold between the quads and head in a stock setup. The ZZ's use a PWM controlled idle valve built into the throttle body, so some extra thinking is required there to make it work.

Not too hard with a half-decent aftermarket ECU, you can fabricate the ISCV outlet into the adapter manifold runners and then retain the stock 20V ISCV which would be fed from the custom intake plenum on the quads or with just an extra little filter on the end of the ISCV inlet (like some DBW users do with the cam cover inlet on the 1zz's when using TRD CAI). Keep in mind you will need an aftermarket ECU that can control the VVT in closed loop fashion, drive the individual coilpacks, and have enough outputs left over to contol the stepper motor, lift and other ancillaries you have (Purge control valve etc etc). Adaptronic can do this, as can Motec (When the options are purchased), and a new player on the aftermarket ECU scene can too, the Vi-Pec from Ray Hall (Former international Autronic distributor). Closed loop cam control is basically a must on a 2zz, I'd give any ECU that can only do open loop control a miss.

As for a plenum to go with the 20V quads, here's a pic of the basic plenum I make for turbocharged 20V's... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/up...-1223890584.jpg

Note, the pipework in that pic is NOT from me, I was quite dissapointed when I saw that pipework in a bay with one of my plenums...

Wow. This is great info but other than ECU and CAI, what does the rest of the abbrv means? :P

fark! lots of hard work and $$$ there.. much respect, looking forward to the end result

i couldnt be ****** going any further than i did.. didnt really have the time or money, so i went over to the dark side SR20DET ftw!

any 1zz guys with std internals that are after bang for buck, buy my blitz s/c kit :D