Write off ??

Got rear ended last night :(

Now the steering is really screwed i can't drive it at all.... when the car is turned off the steering wheel turns half rotation both ways and also when moving the car doesn't turn even after a quarter rotation

hoping its not a write off :(

i dun get it assessed till next wednesday

just wondering what are your thoughts so i know what to expect...

i dont think its a writeoff - isnt that term only used when it costs more to fix the car than the actual car market value or what not

plus it didnt hit ur engine area so yeah maybe its a repairable writeoff ? but i highly doubt it

ps. if you got rear ended does that mean its the other guys fault ? and if so - if it is a writeoff lols cant the other driver compensate for that stuff ? shrugs i dont know LOL im not a insurance person haha

Edited by mrs.sportivo

A write off is when the cost of repairing the car exceeds the sum the car is insured for or the cost of replacing the vehicle (market value).

One of the few exceptions is if the the car has severe structural damage. Something like the chassis is bent or broken some how. If your steering has been dramatically affected by a rear end collision, this might in fact be the case, and your car could be written off by the insurance company for this reason alone. It is extremely rare for a car with a damaged chassis to be repaired for safety (and cost) reasons.

Edited by Stealth

there are 2 types of write off's. Economic and statutory.

Economic is where the cost to repair the vehicle outweighs the market or insured value of the car. A good indicator is airbags, basically if the airbag goes off, the car will be written off for economic reasons. These cars can be purchased to repair or for parts.

Statutory is where there is structural damage to the vehicle which means that if would be unsafe for the car to be driven again. The rego of these cars is cancelled, the compliance plates destroyed and the car cannot be registered again. This also happens with cars that are stolen and stripped.

I would think your car will be economically written off. The insurance companies seem to write off a lot more recently because of this global financial crisis.

there are 2 types of write off's. Economic and statutory.

Economic is where the cost to repair the vehicle outweighs the market or insured value of the car. A good indicator is airbags, basically if the airbag goes off, the car will be written off for economic reasons. These cars can be purchased to repair or for parts.

Hence the term "repairable write-off"

cosmetically the car looks ok... bumper damage but thats about it no bent panels or anything just a hole in the bumper...

its the steering and chassis i'm worried about

the 4wd was going pretty fast and must've damaged sumthing structurally for the steering to be off from a rear ending

i was reading any damage to the mechanical or suspension and its considered a write off

oh well i guess i just have to wait 1 week to see what they say...

It not the case that damage to the steering and mechanical is a write off, i was recently hit by a taxi and the head light was pushed halfway throughthe rim but they are still repairing it, i depends on the cost to repair in this case as the car is still structually sond.

Jarrod