Motor Magazine speculates about TRD Corolla

Good news i hope, just saw next MOTOR magazine issue,out now. Story and spy pics on TRD Corolla.. Our one and not the Blade.. Looks like TRD front spoiler,side skirts,17" TTE rims and rear TTE spoiler(as seen on AUR15) doesnt say too much except it prob be current 1.8 force fed.. Must be here cos 2nd pic was next to TRD Aurion.. Sorry i couldnt get the pics or the story.. Heres hoping :yahoo: Just hope its not a $40k Corolla..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good gosh .... here we go again .... toyota dropping a turbo on a corolla ..... no disrespect to the old stivo boys but i hope toyota does a better job this time and doesnt price it in rexy territory otherwise we will have another failure on our hands

Yea just saw that looks pretty hard, hopefully its pushing about 200kW and under $35000!!

given toyota's conservatism in aus if it simply is a zre152 with a hairdryer on it i highly doubt it will get anywhere near 200 ..... i think it will be a struggling to get Toyota to release it pushing 150kw's

to take a 100kw motor up to 200kw, not possible for the budget they would have been allowed.

no mivec, vtec, vvtli to help it along

Even the MPS is only 65% above stock, 115kw to 190kw. The XRS turbo 113 to 165kw, 46%, New lancer ralliant 113kw to 177kw, 56%.

Nothing a few well thought out mods couldn't fix I suppose.

whitestivo

Sounds like it could be promising, and it will be good to see what they do end up releasing for sale. But I don't expect to be a class leader in the hot hatch sector.

Fingers crossed that Toyota Australia surprises us though!

It needs to be priced right to make an impact......and only 17"s???

Sounds like $32990 max price point to me, and that's operating on the assumption of at least 150kw and good torque so it doesn't get left in the dust of XR5's and MPS's. If they aren't going to give it a good crack, leave the Levin ZR as the range-topper until they can give it a good run.....

...just bring the Blade in already, eh?

good gosh .... here we go again .... toyota dropping a turbo on a corolla ..... no disrespect to the old stivo boys but i hope toyota does a better job this time and doesnt price it in rexy territory otherwise we will have another failure on our hands
Yea just saw that looks pretty hard, hopefully its pushing about 200kW and under $35000!!

given toyota's conservatism in aus if it simply is a zre152 with a hairdryer on it i highly doubt it will get anywhere near 200 ..... i think it will be a struggling to get Toyota to release it pushing 150kw's

Haha, the turbo and intercooler on those things were just so teeny tiny and cute. Dunno how they deluded themselves with the first price, but I saw a demo on a dealers lot for $29990 with 4300km after they'd cut the RRP by $5000. Didn't seem such bad value at that price.

I say super charged like the rest of the TRD range excpet mated it to a 6 Speed manual box or a V6 out of the blade mated to a 6 speed manual box.

To be honest i dont understand why toyota have worked on more motors using lift...i reckon its a great concept. I say bring back lift! add supercharger or turbo and aim for the Civic Type R, Golf GTi and Clio Sport + the other hot hatches. IF Toyota do it right I reckon it could sell quite well.

Were Toyota having so many problems meeting noise and emissions standards that they had to drop the 2ZZ all together? I know they raised the power output on the local ZZE-123R to meet noise requirements (to be classified as sports car), and towards the end of the ZZE-122's life they had dropped it's power output down to 93kW from 100kW to meet European emissions standards.

I think if they kept the weight down a 2L (or slightly bigger ;)) engine with VVTLi would be successful is priced correctly. And on the other hand, the supercharged option has always been attractive to Toyota and TRD...

Gav.

Just got my hands on the article. Car looks good, was spotted racing around winton, so hopefully, that means some development in the pipeline. The article is very clear that 100% no way V6 under the bonnet

They mention some form of FI, and only quote the exhaust mounted differently to the standard car indicating something going on under the bonnet.

I'm going to start this

Whitestivo

145kw, SC

Lets post up and see who comes the closest to the mark when it's released

whitestivo

Whitestivo

145kw, SC

RXSeven

Kit and Stickers

TRD Aurion Owner

Manual only, 130kW, Eaton TVS Supercharger (they were very happy with the one in the Aurion, no reason to change), PBR brakes (same thing, works well in the Aurion so they should be sticking to the same supplier), FWD (unfortunately - don't think Japan will allow anything else), lowered, body kit, rear diffuser, front lip, different exhaust, 0 - 100 in the mid to low sixes

Edited by TRD Aurion Owner

i work at toyota and hear alot of things from all different departments even the TRD department where they make the TRD aurions and hear nothing of a TRD corolla atm the sales for the TRD range have gone down alot and its very hard to keep up with the market i say that the spy pics and stuff are just a body kit and extra add ons i dont think that they are gonna change the engine format well thats just me anyway my cousin also works in the technical design area and sees and hears nothing also.

the only thing for sure is that i know of is that

TMCA will release a new facelift camry and aurion mid next year so far and also start the hybrid at that time roughly

Just got my hands on the article. Car looks good, was spotted racing around winton, so hopefully, that means some development in the pipeline. The article is very clear that 100% no way V6 under the bonnet

They mention some form of FI, and only quote the exhaust mounted differently to the standard car indicating something going on under the bonnet.

I'm going to start this

Whitestivo

145kw, SC

Lets post up and see who comes the closest to the mark when it's released

whitestivo

But you don't need to mount the exhaust differently for a supercharger. Maybe they will use the current 1.8 with beefed up rods and low comp. pistons and turbo to 147kW to compete against the Holden Astra Turbo for price and power (which is the cheapest of the 2L+ turbos). The funny thing is you don't see many of the Peugeot 207 GT/GTi's around for just $32k or so...

I reckon Turbo with 147kW (around 200hp).

Gav.

Were Toyota having so many problems meeting noise and emissions standards that they had to drop the 2ZZ all together? I know they raised the power output on the local ZZE-123R to meet noise requirements (to be classified as sports car), and towards the end of the ZZE-122's life they had dropped it's power output down to 93kW from 100kW to meet European emissions standards.

From what I have read you are correct the 2zz was dropped due to not meeting Euro IV emissions (the same reason for the down grade of the 1zz

I had heard through the grape vine that TRD were testing the Toyota Motorsport (the old TTE) dual exhaust

Does anyone have any pictures?? I have Googled "TRD Corolla" and it just comes up with the articles TRD will not be releasing a Corolla and this thread (and of course the rally news(