Toytota Exhaust

Hey how are ya this is my first post.

Im Seb i drive an 03 Camry Altise and am a P Plater from Adelaide. I would like to put a Cat-Back exhaust on it, but when i went to get a quote today the bloke said that because its a 4 cylinder i shouldnt do it as he has done them before and that they sound very rattly when done. Know can someone back this bloke up from past experiences etc or does he just do really dodgy jobs?

Cheers

No cannons!!

Cannons give you that crappy farty sound. If you want something with half decent sound get an oval muffler.

That reminds me I still need to get my cat back piping done?

PS. Sorry to hijack, but if I was moving up to 2.5' piping from the stock stivo piping and I'm currently running a muffler with a 2.25' inlet, would it be restrictive if I was to continue using the same muffler?

Cheers

Andy

Any exhaust without sufficient muffling will give you that farty sound. Cannons are fine, but make sure you combine it with the biggest hotdog you can fit - 15" is good, 18" is even better.

No cannons!!

Cannons give you that crappy farty sound. If you want something with half decent sound get an oval muffler.

That reminds me I still need to get my cat back piping done?

PS. Sorry to hijack, but if I was moving up to 2.5' piping from the stock stivo piping and I'm currently running a muffler with a 2.25' inlet, would it be restrictive if I was to continue using the same muffler?

Cheers

Andy

2.5" is realistically too big for your car, unless you have a highly tuned engine and shift constantly near the limiter. 2.25" would have been ideal, so going down a little bit on your rear muffler won't make one iota of difference.

Edited by the_random_hero

Hot dog is that what comes before the muffler?

It's a long resonator, such as u5_01_thumb.jpg.

NA Twincam engines with a displacement <2L are notorious for having a "fart" whenever they aren't sufficiently muffled - adding the biggest resonator you can will take a lot of that out.

Edited by the_random_hero

• 4 weeks later...

Rather then start a new thread im going to recycle this one. Will just changing the muffler to say a twin loop make the exhaust sound better as in not silent?

How about changing the muffler and replaceing the big thing in the middle of my car with a hotdog?

im nub when it coems to exhaust.

im not looking for performance upgrade just some ricey noise. If i was goign for performance i would want low end torqe rather then top in hp any recomendations?

If you are only looking for a note, pop down to your local exhaust shop and see what they recommend. Not sure if the twin loop will be loud enough.

Also, suggest look on youtube see what type of note different mufflers give.