Need new tyres

Supercharged TRD

Hi there

It's time for me to get new tyres. I was advised by the mechanic that my tyres would be going soon .

The TRD Aurion comes stock with Dunlop Sport Maxx 245/35ZR19s. Should I go for those or are there any better ones (e.g. Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenzas)?

Edited by TRD Aurion Owner

I'm actually looking for the best tyre possible for traction and grip. Any recommendations?

Then I take it that it doesn't matter how much they cost? Otherwise I think that statement needs a revision.

Of course if it's $1k per tyre then of course no....I got quoted $439 fitted per tyre for the Potenzas which is quite expensive. I don't mind spending the money as long as I know I'm getting a good product and not getting ripped off.

I got quoted $439 fitted per tyre for the Potenzas which is quite expensive.

Damn. One reason why I am avoiding 19 inch rims. For the Adrenalins on my 17 inch rims, I got quoted $259 per tyre fitted.

If wear doesn't matter then the Toyo Proxes R1Rs are supposedly up there. If you want them to go a bit further try the Toyo Proxes T1Rs. I was recommended them and cannot fault them :) . The R1Rs are a tier above the T1Rs.

Lucky for you the Best Motoring boys, in an episode of Hot Version, did a tyre test on the MX-5. The results are as below (left out lap 1 as it was a standing start);

HV93tyretestgraph.jpg

Bridgstone Potenza RE11

Dunlop Direzza Sports Z1*Spec

Yokohama Neova AD07

Toyo Proxes R1R

Any of those top 3 tyres would be a good choice, the Toyo's look very inconsistant. If they are even available in Australia (or Tirerack ;)) I'd buy on price.

The winner was the RE11 as it was the most consistent, and only just, had the fastest lap time.

Edit: Looking into the Toyo times a bit more I suspect the pressures were wrong. You can see that the tyre picks up the pace early on as the tyre warms up, however it soon drops off the pace and becomes inconsistant as the pressures get too high.

The Michellin Presceda 2's are very nice for a street car in the wet or dry, Toyo T1R's are also one of my favoured street tyres, both get good wear, good traction in the wet etc.

I've just thrown a set of 235/40/18 BF Goodrich Profilers on my Forester street rims, they were a cheaper option (~$100ea cheaper than a T1R), I've been pleasently suprised with their performance both wet and dry. Previous tyres on those rims were Azenis RT615's.

Lucky for you the Best Motoring boys, in an episode of Hot Version, did a tyre test on the MX-5. The results are as below (left out lap 1 as it was a standing start);

HV93tyretestgraph.jpg

Bridgstone Potenza RE11

Yokohama Neova AD07

Toyo Proxes R1R

Any of those top 3 tyres would be a good choice, the Toyo's look very inconsistant. If they are even available in Australia (or Tirerack ;)) I'd buy on price.

The winner was the RE11 as it was the most consistent, and only just, had the fastest lap time.

You mean the RE001 Dave? http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/treads/Adrenalin.aspx

He means the RE-11, http://www.bridgestone.co.jp/info/news/2007121901.html

Not listed on the Australian site yet, but you can see the tyre it's replacing in the motorsport section, the RE-01R:

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/motors...cing_tyres.aspx

You can see on that page that the RRP for the 245/35/19 RE-01R is $530ea.

Edited by rollamods

He means the RE-11, http://www.bridgestone.co.jp/info/news/2007121901.html

Not listed on the Australian site yet, but you can see the tyre it's replacing in the motorsport section, the RE-01R:

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/motors...cing_tyres.aspx

You can see on that page that the RRP for the 245/35/19 RE-01R is $530ea.

Cheers Jase.

You mean the RE001 Dave?

RE11>>RE001

The RE001 are an alright tyre for street use, not too expensive and give good grip. Buy in bulk and they can be even cheaper :P

lol. you keep saying taht :yahoo:. how many sets of 4 do you get exactly?

u must run through them quite a bit!

HV93tyretestgraph.jpg

Bridgstone Potenza RE11

Yokohama Neova AD07

Toyo Proxes R1R

Dave,

Which track did they perform the tests on? Just curious.

Cheers

Motor Magazine (last month, from memory) did a similar test using 17x7 wheels on a Renault Clio 197 (can't recall the profile, though).

Anyhow, the Bridgestone RE 001 came out best overall - followed by Maxxis, I think.

Anyone actually got that issue of the magazine?

• 1 month later...

Have you put the tyres on yet? as i just got quoted $198 fitted & balanced for Adrenalin from Jax Quick Fit. Thats for a 215x45xR17 but everyone else quoted around the $260 mark for them, apparenlty quick fit has a good deal with bridgestone atm and are passing the savings on.. not sure if it's just my local one tho!

Motor Magazine (last month, from memory) did a similar test using 17x7 wheels on a Renault Clio 197 (can't recall the profile, though).

Anyhow, the Bridgestone RE 001 came out best overall - followed by Maxxis, I think.

Anyone actually got that issue of the magazine?

Had it but cant find it.Maxxis was a surprise but not the Dunlop Maxxis,Maxxis the brand.. Also i read that only 18" RE001 and up are Japanese and sizes below are local..I have the Dunlops and pretty happy with them also quiet..Mine are Jap but some are German or USA..

Have you put the tyres on yet? as i just got quoted $198 fitted & balanced for Adrenalin from Jax Quick Fit. Thats for a 215x45xR17 but everyone else quoted around the $260 mark for them, apparenlty quick fit has a good deal with bridgestone atm and are passing the savings on.. not sure if it's just my local one tho!

I'm putting 245/35/R19 Adrenalins on this Monday from Jax Bowen Hills. Got quoted $409 per tyre, lower than all the other quotes I've received. I'll bring it on a Nebo run soon and tell you if I feel the difference between the Adrenalins and the stock Dunlop Sport Maxxs.