Dash rattles??

maso_01993

Regarding the dash rattles, I can "force" the noise by grabbing the dash just above the steering wheel and pulling/pushing it. The sound is almost like it's touching the windscreen?

For those rattles that appear to come and go, I've noticed that in summer the rattles are much less obvious than in winter. Probably due to the plastic/rubber parts being softer and more forgiving than in winter when they're stiffer.

I now have a rattle somewhere on my right. It could be either the drivers door, the center pillar, or something like that? Comes and goes, still trying to push here and there to isolate it. Has anyone else experienced rattles in the door or pillars ?

Sounds like you need the official Toyota Dash rattle repair kit. They pull out the dash and have new foam inserts etc for the dash mounting points. Overall, yes it is a bit of a creaky car and I think it is the hard plastics used everywhere, centre console I've had out a number of times applying bits of foam to stop it creaking. I also had a rattling in the drivers A pillar and it was the cables in there rattling about. There is actually supposed to be something that holds them all together but was left out of mine. good Luck!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the dash rattles, I can "force" the noise by grabbing the dash just above the steering wheel and pulling/pushing it. The sound is almost like it's touching the windscreen?

Mine creaks as well when I do that. It's useful though to target where the creaks are coming from. I am yet to fix it. I have all the stuff required to do so; just not the time/patience. I just turn my music up louder.

Mine started to rattle from the driver side rooftop.

It sounds like there are some wires going through at the rooftop and it just fell down because of subwoofer vibration.

I never had this rattle before I installed my sub.

Anyone knows how to disassemble the carpet on the rooftop?

This really annoys me when I drive Paramatta road which makes me feeling driving on offroad. :(

If you want to remove it properly, refer to the following service manual:

http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen6/2GR-FE/Interior.pdf

Page 22 onwards describes the process. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

Postin this up @ 2.30 dawn... Well..Sydney time thou

Still...Do u ever sleep DJ? lol

Edited by VF-X

Yes! I was expecting you.

Thanks again Daryl.

Whenever, I need to disassemble something on my aurion, you are the one always gives me a clear answer.

Thnumbs up! :toast:

• 3 months later...
does anyone have any parts of their dashboard rattling all the time???. i think i might take mine back to toyota to fix it.

Yes my 2007 Kluger rattles like an old Corona over bumps, i'm getting feed up with the poor workmanship on this heap!!

does anyone have any parts of their dashboard rattling all the time???. i think i might take mine back to toyota to fix it.

Yes my 2007 Kluger rattles like an old Corona over bumps, i'm getting feed up with the poor workmanship on this heap!!

serious?? that's so odd for the new gen kluger.... mine doesn't rattle at all and its been over all sorts of roads and bumps.

matt

• 4 weeks later...

Had the dash "noise kit" fitted under warranty with the 30,000km service done at the same time - only took 1 day and everything seemed to have been put back as it's supposed to. Will need to drive it a bit more to determine whether the dash rattle has been fixed completely as I only picked up the car today.

Also had the rattling LHS center air vent and part of the center console replaced. The center console was rubbing against the piece of silver plastic underneath and taking the paint off as you move the console armrest forward and back.

I mentioned that lots of members on the forum complained that they had more problems after the dash has been taken apart than the original rattle - so the service manager said he'll request their "best technician" to do the job instead of just anyone available on the day. I just hope I don't have the same bad experience as some of the unlucky members on this forum. :P

Edited by Boof

I also have a lot of rattles coming from the dash, actually they are all creaks rather than rattles... like hard plastic parts moving and slightly rubbing together... didn't notice them at all when I bought the car but that was when the weather was quite hot 26 degrees+ every day. Not long after i bought the car (still hot weather) i only noticed a few creaks driving on very uneven/rough roads. Now that it has got very cold here in canberra the creaks are much worse. On a recent trip to sydney i could isolate two of the worst creaks which are located on the very top left (worst) and right of the dash. They are right near the windscreen and the speaker grilles either side.... i could actually stop them by putting a little downward pressure. I am actually going to make up two small rubber blocks and wedge them in between the very frontside of the dash and the glass... they should stay in ok, not be very visible and hopefully help! I am fairly confident that when the weather gets hot again the creaks will mostly dissapear.

I am extremely hesitant to get anything done about them due to all the horror stories and even feedback from some mechanics about the extra problems pulling out the dash can create.... fix one problem create 10 more! Do any of these "dash rattle fixes" that Toyota does NOT involve pulling down the dash? ie can some of the rubber mounts etc be installed from under the dash etc with minimal pulling apart? These would be the only fixes I would be prepared to get done.

All in all the noises don't bother me too much... mostly drive with music anyway...

Dan.

Edited by Djs

I only noticed the rattle on the top LHS of the dash near the speaker on a recent long trip with the car sometimes travellng on unsealed roads. The rattle got so bad that I had to ask my wife to wedge her handbag between the windscreen and the dash to stop the annoying rattle!! :angry: I agonised over whether to bite the bullet and get the rattle fixed and risk having more problems with the dash being pulled apart or put up with the rattle!! In the end I decided to have it fixed and touch wood the rattle seemed to have been fixed and more importantly no new side effects were introduced as a result of the dash being pulled apart - I hope! Time will tell.... :whistling:

haven't been to Perth

but I thought only Sydney roads are bad (have been to Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide in order of frequency)

yeah the rattle (more like squeak) is also on LHS vent for me

it doesn't happen on the RHS one

its the small sharp bumps that brings up the rattle

on bigger bumps it gets drowned by other noises anyway

Had the dash "noise kit" fitted under warranty with the 30,000km service done at the same time - only took 1 day and everything seemed to have been put back as it's supposed to. Will need to drive it a bit more to determine whether the dash rattle has been fixed completely as I only picked up the car today.

Also had the rattling LHS center air vent and part of the center console replaced. The center console was rubbing against the piece of silver plastic underneath and taking the paint off as you move the console armrest forward and back.

I mentioned that lots of members on the forum complained that they had more problems after the dash has been taken apart than the original rattle - so the service manager said he'll request their "best technician" to do the job instead of just anyone available on the day. I just hope I don't have the same bad experience as some of the unlucky members on this forum. :P

hey mate, what's the feedback so far (i know it's only been a couple of days) and which dealer in WA did you take it too? I had the "noise kit" fitted back in September 2008. It was ok for a few months but now a different rattle occurs!! - like some clips have come loose near the driver side nr the windscreen.

I have noticed a few creaks coming from mine now which only happen on rough roads. If the music is low enough I know it's there and can hear it. It's starting to annoy me even more now. Because I know it's there and it's a problem I know want it fixed.

Like others I'm not confident about taking it to Toyota to have the dash removed though :(

hey mate, what's the feedback so far (i know it's only been a couple of days) and which dealer in WA did you take it too? I had the "noise kit" fitted back in September 2008. It was ok for a few months but now a different rattle occurs!! - like some clips have come loose near the driver side nr the windscreen.

Sorry to hear that the dreaded rattle has returned after the "fix".. :angry:

So far so good, but like you said its only been a couple of days so I am not celebrating as yet... :yahoo:

I took it to Scarboro Toyota as it was the most convenient for me for the drop off and pickup as there is a train station nearby - for this time, they organised a loan car for me as they thought it may take more than 1 day to do all the warranty work and the 30,000km service.

i am also getting the squeaky rattles from the left hand twitter panel under the windscreen and if the roads are really bad, the right one also tends to rattle.

it a relief to hear that le mans at footscrap acknowledge this problem because i too are very wary about bringing cars to dealers to fix problems

luckily my car is still under warranty so hopefully i can get it done without ensuing major dramas.

how long does it take to fix this problem, couple of hours? it's the only car we've got so having no spare car to use is a major inconvenience for us..

I'm also getting bad rattling from above the console on my 2008 Kluger. It sounds like something's definitely broken or come loose, as the noise wasn't there at first. Now it's quite bad... a horrible cheap plastic squeak/rattle. It makes the car "feel" very flimsy, hearing all these plastic rattles.

I'll give the warranty dash repair a go.

We had some dash rattles ? Squeeks/ groans, what ever in our new Aurion, the frix was very simple, without having to get the dealers to remove all the dash etc (a two day job), two pieces of inch long rubber, pretty thick by about half inch wide (sorry hard to teach an old bugger metics) and sqeezed it in between the lower part of widescreen and the very from edge of the dash board top panel just adjacent to the front dash speaker grills. You can't see the rubber and bingo no creaks, groans etc etc. simple!!!!!

We had some dash rattles ? Squeeks/ groans, what ever in our new Aurion, the frix was very simple, without having to get the dealers to remove all the dash etc (a two day job), two pieces of inch long rubber, pretty thick by about half inch wide (sorry hard to teach an old bugger metics) and sqeezed it in between the lower part of widescreen and the very from edge of the dash board top panel just adjacent to the front dash speaker grills. You can't see the rubber and bingo no creaks, groans etc etc. simple!!!!!

Awesome! Glad to hear that this works. This is what I have been meaning to do but just haven't got round to it yet! Now you've got me excited and I think I'll have to drop past clark rubber today :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Well i finally got round to getting a few peices of rubber and inserting them near the speaker grills and it worked great.... BUT.... then I started to get a similar creak from the centre!! :-) So what I did instead is buy a length of car door seal rubber (from clark rubber), the one that is shaped similar to a droplet (if that make sense - a more triangular shape). I cut a length that spans across the whole windscreen then pushed it all in tightly and evenly. You can't see it from the outside because of the black painted section on the bottom of the glass and you can see it from the inside (if really looking) but as it spans all the way across it looks like it is meant to be there.

Anyway, it has worked wonders! I can still hear some minor/softer creaks coming from the depths of the dash but these don't bother me at all.... it was just those load ones from the upper section.

You guys need to get into the habit of listening to loud music. All these problems seem to just fade away afterwards.

Daryl, your music might be too loud for most of them...

You would expect the dash to rattle after its been taken out, but was surprised that once its taken out and have the noise kit fitted it was much quieter than before. The centre console sometimes rattles or creaks, guess bits of foam might fix the problem.