Paint protection and waxing etc

AUR30N

lads,

I don't know about you guys but I been mothers brand freak i have always used mothers products to my car sealant and waxing etc.

what have you guys been using?

I cam across this yesterday and what do you think http://www.5starshine.com/ - 5 year gurantee - Iam bit skeptical.

Dj I know this has been brought up before but Iam asking again

Azza

I'm only bring this up because I'm too lazy to re-type an answer. In the thread over at 'ABOUT PAINT protection & Glaze Guard', this is what I have to say:

It all really depends on your preferences and how you clean your car. Everybody usually thinks differently about different products. I wash my car at a self-serve car wash and use a microfibre mitt to clean it. Usually spend no more than $4 per wash. When I get home, I then wax my car.

One thing I would recommend having is a 'Quick Clay' kit. You can pick them up for around $30 in either the Meguiars or Mothers brand. You only need to do this every couple/few months, and one kit should last 2-3 uses on average.

During the colder months, I use Meguiars NTX 2.0 paste wax. Costs about $50 per tin, but will provide many coats. This stuff gives a really deep gloss, but it's protection wears out fairly fast. I always reapply it weekly.

During the warmer months (definitely now), I use a wax called 'Sonax Xtreme Wax No 1'. It costs around $35 from Repco. This is a very hard wearing wax and provides good protection, especially when it rains. A good thing about this wax is that it dries extremely fast. Most waxes dry in about 20-25 minutes. Sonax on the other hand only needs 5 or less. It also requires less application than other waxes.

That's just my preferences anyways.

I just love how deep the colour comes out after a waxing with NXT 2.0:

DSC02693.JPG

As for the 5 Star Shine, I can't care how many washes a wax is guaranteed for. After just one wash, I am already unsatisfied with the finish and it is then time for another waxing. a 5 year guarantee is a bit pushing though in my opinion. Just marketing hype.

Also check out this thread:

Car Detailing Tips

I'm only bring this up because I'm too lazy to re-type an answer. In the thread over at 'ABOUT PAINT protection & Glaze Guard', this is what I have to say:
It all really depends on your preferences and how you clean your car. Everybody usually thinks differently about different products. I wash my car at a self-serve car wash and use a microfibre mitt to clean it. Usually spend no more than $4 per wash. When I get home, I then wax my car.

One thing I would recommend having is a 'Quick Clay' kit. You can pick them up for around $30 in either the Meguiars or Mothers brand. You only need to do this every couple/few months, and one kit should last 2-3 uses on average.

During the colder months, I use Meguiars NTX 2.0 paste wax. Costs about $50 per tin, but will provide many coats. This stuff gives a really deep gloss, but it's protection wears out fairly fast. I always reapply it weekly.

During the warmer months (definitely now), I use a wax called 'Sonax Xtreme Wax No 1'. It costs around $35 from Repco. This is a very hard wearing wax and provides good protection, especially when it rains. A good thing about this wax is that it dries extremely fast. Most waxes dry in about 20-25 minutes. Sonax on the other hand only needs 5 or less. It also requires less application than other waxes.

That's just my preferences anyways.

I just love how deep the colour comes out after a waxing with NXT 2.0:

DSC02693.JPG

As for the 5 Star Shine, I can't care how many washes a wax is guaranteed for. After just one wash, I am already unsatisfied with the finish and it is then time for another waxing. a 5 year guarantee is a bit pushing though in my opinion. Just marketing hype.

Also check out this thread:

Car Detailing Tips

No dj There more involved... there diffrent product available these days all claiming to be the best for your paint.

wax

silcon

Acylic

PTFE

Glaze

PPS

and list continues... They all have there pro's and con's

that why Iam asking - the prevous link post don't really say much or covers everything

and no Iam not being lazy..... Your just being the typical daryl I know from day one just bugger off mate if you don't have constructive replys save then band width and your breatth. :angry:

PS just a suggestion you know what works well for me type what you have to type in word pad walk away for few hours then come back to it and see if you really want to post it, after you have cooled down. :yahoo:

Azza

What on earth did I say that directly attacked you? I was just saying that I was being lazy (because I am and I can't touch type) and quoted myself. Why should I not have the right to quote myself and save on typing the exact same thing again, when that is my input for the question at hand? It is also to maintain accuracy and to prevent statements that may accidentally be contradicting to others. I even typed the first sentence to show that I am not posting this to offend you in any way; because I suspected that you may take it the wrong way.

You need to chill out man. You asked what (quote) 'what have you guys been using?'. My answer was just that. How was that not constructive? I even included a response to your question asking what I thought about the 5 Star Shine. Maybe you should type your post into Wordpad and think about if you asked the question properly before posting. You did not specify everything (as shown in your second post) that you wanted our replies to cover in your first post, therefore how can I answer a question you have not asked?

And as well, I skip some steps here and there in regards to doing the perfect paint treatment. That's why I included the last link which includes some of the best tips I've come across on the boards here.

products i use for my car are the meguiars nxt car wash then meguiars nxt tech wax 2,0 and every couple of weeks the meguiars ultimate quick detailer .

I like using the nxt generation 2.0 as it gives a great deep shine on the car.

What on earth did I say that directly attacked you? I was just saying that I was being lazy (because I am) and quoted myself. Why should I not have the right to quote myself and save on typing the exact same thing again, when that is my input for the question at hand? It is also to maintain accuracy and to prevent statements that may accidentally be contradicting to others. I even typed the first sentence to show that I am not posting this to offend you in any way; because I suspected that you may take it the wrong way.

You need to chill out man. You asked what (quote) 'what have you guys been using?'. My answer was just that. How was that not constructive? I even included a response to your question asking what I thought about the 5 Star Shine. Maybe you should type your post into Wordpad and think about if you asked the question properly before posting. You did not specify everything (as shown in your second post) that you wanted our replies to cover in your first post, therefore how can I answer a question you have not asked?

And as well, I skip some steps here and there in regards to doing the perfect paint treatment. That's why I included the last link.

I apologies if you were not directing it to me.......

Azza

rofl at the noob... :lol:

mate, daryl has covered everything at least once... so if he wants to requote himself, he's allowed to do it... :lol:

for me... i rarely wax my car... i just dont have the patience to do it... plus, i've got a bad back, so by the time i'm finished waxing, i'm ready to collapse... :lol:

i hear the best thing to use is the "clay" thingy.. but i've never used it myself... and wouldnt even know how to start it... hahaha

if i want a "detail" done on my car, i have three different guys i use in the brisbane area... it just depends on the level of detail i want... one guy does absolutely everything (engine bay / behind the wheels / interior / exterior / exhaust / etc) for $250... takes him 5hrs, but the car comes back looking better than new!!

• 2 weeks later...
rofl at the noob... :lol:

mate, daryl has covered everything at least once... so if he wants to requote himself, he's allowed to do it... :lol:

for me... i rarely wax my car... i just dont have the patience to do it... plus, i've got a bad back, so by the time i'm finished waxing, i'm ready to collapse... :lol:

i hear the best thing to use is the "clay" thingy.. but i've never used it myself... and wouldnt even know how to start it... hahaha

if i want a "detail" done on my car, i have three different guys i use in the brisbane area... it just depends on the level of detail i want... one guy does absolutely everything (engine bay / behind the wheels / interior / exterior / exhaust / etc) for $250... takes him 5hrs, but the car comes back looking better than new!!

Could you give me the number of the guy who does everything? i am the same, just dont have the patience to do the wax on my own and i am not sure how to start.

i have always used autoglym on my car from the day i bought it. i've helped mates detail their cars with meguiars, and ive found that autoglym does require more skill and patience to get an awesome finish, but when done properly the quality and duration over meguiars is fantastic.

it does cost more, but i think if you love your car its worth the cash.

i'm abit of an autoglym whore though - i've got everything, haha.

Edited by lateralus

well, i dont have the number of one of the guys anymore for some reason...

but i only used to get my car washed/vaccumed/armorailed once a week by him when i was working in milton anyway...

the guy that does absolutely EVERYTHING and is obsessive compulsive is called Larry, and his number is 0412559344. (well it was correct about 4mths ago)

the other guy which i havent used yet, but i've seen his work (and its great!) is called watto and his number is 0427 966 213.

both of these guys are mobile and come to you... and their work is by far the best i've seen in brisbane...

but if you're just looking for a "wash", honestly, you cant go past this automatic car wash on gympie rd (outbound) where trade secret is (near chermside)...

me, my mum's merc and my dad's merc all go through this car wash once a week and apart from needing a polish once its done, its GREAT...

and i haven't got a scratch on any of the car by using this car wash...

just the machine alone cost the guy 5mil!! :o

Edited by SecaBoy

well, i dont have the number of one of the guys anymore for some reason...

but i only used to get my car washed/vaccumed/armorailed once a week by him when i was working in milton anyway...

the guy that does absolutely EVERYTHING and is obsessive compulsive is called Larry, and his number is 0412559344. (well it was correct about 4mths ago)

the other guy which i havent used yet, but i've seen his work (and its great!) is called watto and his number is 0427 966 213.

both of these guys are mobile and come to you... and their work is by far the best i've seen in brisbane...

but if you're just looking for a "wash", honestly, you cant go past this automatic car wash on gympie rd (outbound) where trade secret is (near chermside)...

me, my mum's merc and my dad's merc all go through this car wash once a week and apart from needing a polish once its done, its GREAT...

and i haven't got a scratch on any of the car by using this car wash...

just the machine alone cost the guy 5mil!! :o

Ash you obviously haven't had a detail by me then :toast: Most of what "Larry" did to your car i used to do in my everyday wash and vacuum packages. A full on detail on a car like yours doing everything(even detailing under the guards and door jambs and fuel door LOL) would take almost the entire day.

As for Mother's it's ok but more time consuming than Meguiars'. I used to have my own business detailing top end of town cars and time was money. I used the majority of Meguiars products and actually was a guinea pig in developing some of the products you see on the shelf today( Scratch X, colour boost etc etc) Meguiars requires a lot less elbow grease over Mother's any day.

As for autoglym it is very good but takes a hell of a lot longer to achieve a better result that is hard to pick for the untrained eye over Meguiars stuff.

The key is patience and attention to fine details to get your car looking as good as it can be. I didn't win a truck load of trophies for my old sportivo corolla for nothing LOL.

Brissy boys if you have any questions about detailing chat to me on thursday nights. Happy to give pointers and tips.

Everyone else I'm not telling LOL. Nah if you have a problem or want some info drop me a PM.

2nd'd for Watto (Tommo), Top work, top bloke. His new car build is pretty cool too

Iam sorry but part of loving your car is washing it and detailing it early on saturday mornig or sunday morning and then going for nice cruise.

it spart of the fun and satisfaction of owning your car and admiring it as you do t and seeing the diffrence.

But Iam sorry I would never never pay a detailer to do what i can with the right knowledge and equipment. unless i was entering a show and shine contest.

I have very little time but i do make the effort.

The initial cost might be high but over period of time it pays it self off - yeah sure these's people with no patiants but all that boils down to is lazyness

Azza

Edited by Azza73

mine are tax deductible :P

And he does a much better job on my black car than I could possibly do myself. With the water restrictions we've been faced with in QLD I'm not phased by paying for a decent job.

I have the gear to do the work, but I'd much prefer to do performance mods and fabrication in my spare time.

Edited by CHA54

SB: well, the last job that 'larry' did for me was on my euro, and that took him 5hrs...

but seriously, the car came back looking better than it did when it was brand new!!! its was honestly the best $250 i spent in my life!

also, i didn't know that you detailed cars for a job... sorry, just wasnt aware of that!! :)

Azza: you really need to watch what you say on forums mate... my lack of detailing my own car has nothing to do with laziness... its got EVERYTHING to do with having a bad lower back from injurying it playing soccer... so even though i'd LOVE to go out and wash my car and polish it, i physically cant do it... if i try, then i end up collapsing afterwards... so seriously, just watch it!!

Chaser: i'm actually gonna get watto to do my trd some day soon... just been putting it off for too long!

Hi All

Here's a product for those with limited time: Eagle One's WAX AS-U-DRY, which gives a good shine on my Series II Avalon.

Simply spray it on to several spots per panel, then rub it over gently with your drying towel, and you're done.

My car - in Tuscan Red - had a problem from new, with the paintwork hard to dry, but very easy to scratch, and I've washed a lot of cars over the years.

The scratching was becoming bad, so I had it "Paint-Protected" twice, without much luck; it was still necessary to dry the paintwork with the lightest touch, and use a scratch removal product every few months.

The situation has improved enormously since going on to WAUD and life is much better. The car gets washed more often, now!

Hope this helps. BTW, I have no connection to Eagle One.

CHEERS

NOEL GORDON

Edited by NOEL GORDON

Hi All

Here's a product for those with limited time: Eagle One's WAX AS-U-DRY, which gives a good shine on my Series II Avalon.

Simply spray it on to several spots per panel, then rub it over gently with your drying towel, and you're done.

My car - in Tuscan Red - had a problem from new, with the paintwork hard to dry, but very easy to scratch, and I've washed a lot of cars over the years.

The scratching was becoming bad, so I had it "Paint-Protected" twice, without much luck; it was still necessary to dry the paintwork with the lightest touch, and use a scratch removal product every few months.

The situation has improved enormously since going on to WAUD and life is much better. The car gets washed more often, now!

Hope this helps. BTW, I have no connection to Eagle One.

CHEERS

NOEL GORDON

the quality of the paint job between cars straight out the factory would not differ very much at all. i would guess that the scratching was due to not removing excess surface contaminants before detailing it. being a darker shade of red, it would also be more likely to show the swirl marks than blue or silver.

paint protection is only intended to act as a defense against surface contaminants, such as bird *****, tree sap, and oxidation of the finish. it won't protect against scratches.

Edited by lateralus