You are the new RAV4 consultant--what would you change?

junebug1701

If Toyota called on you for suggestions on how to improve the RAV4, what would you tell them?

What annoying things would you take out, and what features or functions would you add?

So far I've got:

Automatic door locks at 15mph.

Better cargo area lighting.

If Toyota called on you for suggestions on how to improve the RAV4, what would you tell them?

What annoying things would you take out, and what features or functions would you add?

So far I've got:

i totally agree with the above and plus:

1) Trip Computer

2)bigger wheels for rav v6

3)spare wheel under neath

4)diesel engine

The ability to cancel that annoying beeping when you leave the keys in and open the door!!!

Hate it!

Love your ideas though....

Wish the layout off the steering controls ie.radio buttons and cruise control where more like my BA XR6.

And I hate having to press the volume button down for 5 mins (exaggerated) just to get the volume up to a decent level.... is soooo slow.

The ability to cancel that annoying beeping when you leave the keys in and open the door!!!

Hate it!

Are you talking about the seat belt warning? You can have that turned off at the dealership. They plug in their OBD tool and can disable it for the driver, passenger, or both. People that usually get that disabled are those who have to get out of the car to open or shut a gate.

There are also several parameters they can change regarding how long the interior lights stay on, how long before it re-locks if you don't open the door, etc. They can change some of the A/C parameters as well--for instance, if you don't want the A/C compressor to automatically come on when defrost is selected they can turn that off.

I would have to add these:

12 volt accessory outlets that can be ignition controlled or always on--chosen by driver.

Better lighting of controls, i.e. power window, power door lock buttons, power mirror buttons, stalk controls.

Pneumatic hood support struts--no prop rod. And a light under the hood would be nice.

Greater adjustment range for tilt/telescopic wheel and driver's seat.

All of above and

Memory settings for drivers electric seat, SatNav thats usable when

moving, more illumination on door switches, rear cabin light that's

not behind you when the door is open.Better fuel economy or closer

to what's quoted by Toyota Oh and a clock that you can see easily

So far I've got:

Better quality cloth in seats in the RAV4 2008 model. It catches easily and is not easy to vacuum.

After 3000 km and 5 weeks of ownership, I've already got a bit of a list of changes -

1) A radio (or radio and antenna?) that has decent reception. On FM it is annoying with a lot of distortion, stereo changes to mono and back all the time.

2) Decent speakers. The OEM ones are bassy and woolly. Not enough mid-range response.

3) 255/60 tyres on 17 X 7.5 rims for all V6 models, or at least an option to upgrade them. 225 are too narrow for v6 power.

4) Front bucket seats seats are too narrow, particularly the backrest. Also front seat bases are too firm.

5) Cruise control stalk is difficult to use. There should be buttons on steering wheel instead.

6) Rear side hinged door is hard to open, particularly if your RAV is tilted down on LH side (kerbside in Oz). A lift up tailgate on struts, with an openable glass like a Mazda Tribute is much easier to use. You can unload/load in the rain and not get yourself or your stuff wet with the tailgate up. You can open the back window to throw in small items, and you can leave glass up to transport long items.

7) The padding on the storage console between front seats is too firm and also too low to rest your arm on comfortably.

8) A tinted band across the top of the windscreen so you don't get blinded by the sun going up hills would be good. My sun visor goes up and down about 8 times a day.

Do I regret buying the vehicle? Hell no! I love the way it goes, stops, handles and that all the controls (except no. 5 above) are "just right".

I would not change too much except for larger wheels on the V6 and the ability to place into true 4WD at any time especially when travelling over 40kph (good on wet roads). Oh and of course the ability to remove the "I agree" msg on the satnav - pain in the b*** and lastly enabling many of the functions currently disabled with the satnav like speed camera warning etc.

I find it annoying to re enter the ignition key to close the windows. Regularly happens when I'm parked in my garage and just opened the car door with my keys in my hand, but noticed the windows opened.

I'm suggestion a 10 sec buffer between the keys being withdrawn and the window mechanism stopping to work.

Cheers

Tony

I find it annoying to re enter the ignition key to close the windows. Regularly happens when I'm parked in my garage and just opened the car door with my keys in my hand, but noticed the windows opened.

I'm suggestion a 10 sec buffer between the keys being withdrawn and the window mechanism stopping to work.

Cheers

Tony

Actually there is a 3 minute "buffer" for the windows to operate after switching the key off. Problem is, it gets canceled when you open the door.

Yeah i agree, it sux! I had the same drama in my '06 Hilux.

In my BA XR6 i was able to walk away and return and it would still funtion as long as you where within the buffer time.

Whatever you do Toyota, always leave the spare wheel on the oustide. I just love the extra space made available inside the cabin. On the RAV ZR6, the special compartment now available (where the US version holds the spare, I think) is very very useful for my fishing/golfing storage needs and does not interfere with the rear space which can be used for larger items such as luggage etc. The only problem is, you need to come up with some better way of securing the spare from burglary.

• Like 1

Whatever you do Toyota, always leave the spare wheel on the oustide. I just love the extra space made available inside the cabin. On the RAV ZR6, the special compartment now available (where the US version holds the spare, I think) is very very useful for my fishing/golfing storage needs and does not interfere with the rear space which can be used for larger items such as luggage etc. The only problem is, you need to come up with some better way of securing the spare from burglary.

I agree, I like the spare where it is. In the US, only the "Sport Appearance Package" version does away with the spare on the door. It comes with run-flat tires, and no spare, so you still get the handy storage compartment. In the UK, some of them come with run-flat tires, and some come with a puncture repair kit and air compressor! Believe it or not.

• 5 weeks later...

• Smart start and entry system that is available everywhere else (I would have paid the difference to get the ZR6 if it came with this)
  • 18" alloys and some firmer suspension (18" alloys seem to be available everywhere except aus)
  • Sequential auto mode for the v6 (come-on the kluger and aurion both have this)
  • Euro style instrument cluster with flat bottomed steering wheel and paddle shifters (this includes all the trip computer info you get on the top model corolla)
  • More adjustable seats (still haven't found a comfortable driving position yet)
  • Auto-dipping rear view mirrors (this is available as an option in japan)
  • Auto wipers (rolla zr gets this)
  • HID headlights (rolla zr also gets this)
  • Full auto windows all around
  • Cooled and heated leather seats for ZR6

I'm sure theres more on my wishlist but thats all i can think of for now

• 7 months later...

So far I've got:

Change the external rear view mirrors.

Is there an alternative to those annoying external rear view mirrors, I have almost had three accidents due to the fact that images appear to be further away than they actually are.

Change the external rear view mirrors.

Is there an alternative to those annoying external rear view mirrors, I have almost had three accidents due to the fact that images appear to be further away than they actually are.

X2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Upholstery in the CV made from something decent (I will be taking one of the Rav,s in for warrenty on the seat fabric as soon as I can take it of the road )

Floor carpet made from something that DOSE NOT TRAP and hold dirt.

Sun visors that extend to block the section of window around rear view mirror not covered when fliped down oor when rotated to block on the doors.

Gas struts on the bonnet.

Decent under body protection applied to the complet underbody.

Head light lens that don't start to yellow after 6months.

Good Sized Mud flaps on the front wheels (it is front wheel drive after all ).

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

So far I've got:

Less noisy tyres & cabin noise...honestly the standard tyres on our 2010 CV on country roads are as bad as a 80's Holden Carmia!!

hi all, I would like to add auto foldable review mirror, power assisted front seat, decent mileage from the start ( instead of waiting to reach 30000 to 40000 ks to start geting better),and a folding key for easy to keep in the pocket, for a cruiser 2011 model, and avoid the center safty belt comes from the ceiling : (already the back veiw is restricted )

cheers

• 8 months later...

What are the thoughts on the new RAV4 coming out next year given the above wishlists? My main complaint against the RAV4 was that is just needed better styling and I think they accomplished that and added some of the luxuries as well.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/index.php/news/toyota-rav4-gets-a-turbo-diesel/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/203137/2013-toyota-rav4-revealed-turbo-diesel-confirmed/