my Corolla is shaking

hi guys , sorry im not a native english-speaker , so hopefully the below descirption will make sense for your guys. as one of corolla fans , I really need you help , appreciate!!

my 2008 Corolla AUTO just done 5,500km , ten days ago it had engine oil(gold castrol 5w-30) and oil filter (Repco) change by my friend who is a toyota mechanic.

but after that , my car starts shaking especially when I am waiting at traffic light or gear is at "P" position with engine running ,

and engine noise is louder than before . I checked oil level indicator which is normal, and rpm stays normal as well

my friend says alright , but shaking is really annoying me in past week , i

just wonder Have your guys ever met this problem before? is this because i dont use toyota genuine toyota oil and oil filter or could be other problem ?

could please someone help me out with this issue..........many thanks !

Edited by A.K

never came about to this kind of problem before.

since your friend serviced your car, you should bring it back to him to see what he thinks of it. if this doesnt resolve the problem, then it would be best to seek help from the toyota service department as they are most famililar with toyotas.

could it be broken engine mounts ? much alike to mazda rx8 engine mounts which break pretty easily as i have heard and read.

you should get it checked out immediately, can be much worse than what it is.

-BK-

Edited by BlackKnight

could be the fan turning on

thanks for your reply,

could you tell me which fan you talking about,

just forget to mention, If I change "D" to "N" , the shaking 's gone immediately. no shaking at all as i feel

could be the fan turning on

thanks for your reply,

could you tell me which fan you talking about,

just forget to mention, If I change "D" to "N" , the shaking 's gone immediately. no shaking at all as i feel

the radiator fan at the front. Same thing happens too my car, when in drive its gone. im pretty sure its the fan.

My old Camry had a similar issue. When in drive it would have a vibration to it but when shifted into Neutral or park it would go away. As well if I left it in Drive and had one foot on the brake, pressing the accelerator slightly to up the revs by a couple of hundred would stop all the vibration. It turned out that I had a busted engine mount.

Another thing to look at is the level of oil in your automatic transmission. This can potentially introduce unwanted vibration when the levels aren't right.

i also suggested the engine mounts but being such a new car, i dont see how it would have broken already...

-BK-

im very disapponit if engine mount have broken already as a new car ........-_____-!!! hopefully it is not this problem . sounds I have to take it back to toyota or my friend...

but thanks your guys anyway.

i also suggested the engine mounts but being such a new car, i dont see how it would have broken already...

-BK-

im very disapponit if engine mount have broken already as a new car ........-_____-!!! hopefully it is not this problem . sounds I have to take it back to toyota or my friend...

but thanks your guys anyway.

The shaking wouldnt the fan,the fan electric motor itself is small & in no way would the normal operation resonate through the car,If ur in drive or neutral & it does it I would definetly be checking the mounts..mounts still fail no matter how long since release from the line..ive seen aurions do the same..just hike it back on the hoist,wif u in the drivers seat *& ur mate wif a torch under & put in drive & neutral ..youlle be able to see the if its mount failure but gear changes

Pfft fan turning on. why do you bother to post that rubbish.

My dad's ageing lexus recently had the same problem. BK is right, it was a cracked engine mount.

The rpm's would drop below 500 and the car would start to shake, but as soon as they were above 1k it would be fine.

If it was the cooling fan out of balance or faulty bearings, the vibration would get worse as the rpm increased. You should go back to your mate before heading off to toyota.

Pfft fan turning on. why do you bother to post that rubbish.

My dad's ageing lexus recently had the same problem. BK is right, it was a cracked engine mount.

The rpm's would drop below 500 and the car would start to shake, but as soon as they were above 1k it would be fine.

i am not worthy
Lol @ Fan Turning On...If Your An Ignorant Like Me...Just Stfu Rather Than Making Asif You Know Your Stuff! :) Lol

im not worthy

Edited by Ascendant Rice

Judging by some of the replies in this thread, I dont't think anyone here is a mechanic. I don't mean to offend anybody that has replied but some of the replies in this thread and many others I have read have some very far out ideas.

Worn engine mounts is a possibility but very highly unlikely as it is an 08 model with only 5500kms on it. If the shaking only started happening after the oil and filter change then its likely thats what has caused the problem. A 5w oil is much too thin for the 2zr. They have a tendency to use a lot of oil by way of design. I would recommend draining out the 5w and replacing with a 15 or 20w which is what we use at work.

If by coincidence something else has gone wrong then it sounds like a rough idle problem. In which case i'd be looking at the ISCV or perhaps a dodgy batch of fuel. But i'm still sticking with my first idea.

These are my educated guesses but guesses none the less. Its very hard to diagnose a car wothout actually looking at it.

~Josh

i have no clue where the oil filters are located on these engines, but when its changed does the old oil run somewhere? did he wash the engine bay?? could he may of d/c a vacuum hose accidentally while doing this service??

is warranty covered if you dont get it serviced by toyota? maybe if u get it under warranty best not say u carried out an oil change?

I`m having this problem atm too..when i stop at the lights..the car jerks as if its about to stall and at one occation the engine light came on for like 2 seconds and then disappeared again..

im thinking it might be the MAF prob as my MAF isnt 100% as the cai`s screw holes r slightly bigger than the stock ones..so air might be leaking in from there..

i`ll have a talk with damo this sat when i service my car and see what he thinks..

i had this prob quite some time ago and it stalled..i drive an auto rolla btw..

i have no clue where the oil filters are located on these engines, but when its changed does the old oil run somewhere? did he wash the engine bay?? could he may of d/c a vacuum hose accidentally while doing this service??

is warranty covered if you dont get it serviced by toyota? maybe if u get it under warranty best not say u carried out an oil change?

I would not tell toyota it had a oil and oil filter change recently if I have to take it back. -_- but i think they will find out anyway because the oil filter is changed to Repco , not toyota Genuine.

Edited by A.K

I will ask someone to check it this weekend, and see what they say.

but I will let all your guys know if we find out the reason so that would be useful if anyone has similar issue in future.

thanks everybody again.

HI Guys

got my friend checked today, didnt find anything faulty, like engine monut . he said every is alright , -_- WTF......

but I still feel slight shaking since oil and filter changed. maybe I am too sensitive or 5w-30 oil is too thin for corolla?

BTW , Is any problem with warranty if my car only had oil filter changed to Repco instead of toyota's

thanks

Edited by A.K