Armrest breaking, follow-up

the.rid

Following on from my post of March 22nd., I have had the passenger side door panel replaced due to the armrest cracking (or breaking) due to it's inherent weakness. As mentioned our vehicle had a build date of August 2007 and this weakness in the armrest has obviously been fixed in later builds.

How much later I do not know. Out of curiosity I called the dealer's parts Dept. and asked how much the inside door panels would cost. I was quoted a figure of $2,150.00 each side. What the ..... . I said I didn't want to buy the complete door just the inside plastic door panel for a Grande. But the answer was that as they are currently being replaced under warranty that is the listed retail price.

Certainly happy they broke while in warranty.

I've a August 07 build one too and it split around the 2500km mark.

I've now almost got 28000kms and decided back then not to get it repaired in fear the dealer my create door squeaks in the replacement process. Possible door squeaks or rattles would bother me more than the split.

But your posts hear will prompt me to raise the issue at the 30000k service.

Thanks for your posted info.

I've now almost got 28000kms and decided back then not to get it repaired in fear the dealer my create door squeaks in the replacement process. Possible door squeaks or rattles would bother me more than the split.

I think I have one of the first Klugers in the Country, ours are still fine what do you look for and where?? :blink:

I think I have one of the first Klugers in the Country, ours are still fine what do you look for and where?? :blink:

Ok then, sitting in the car seat (either driver or passenger and now I find out that the rear armrests are the same so will have them checked out) with your elbow on the armrest, press down slightly with your elbow and you should feel it bow under the pressure. Not just the padding but the plastic underneath the padding bends. If you then press with your fingers along the armrest in the middle you will also feel it flex easily. It is not firm and solid as an armrest should be. That is of course if you have a 'dodgy' armrest. Our rear armrests also show this tendency to easily flex and will have to be attended to. If they do break (or snap) when you lean on them they then become quite spongy and ours made a cracking sound as the two halves came back into place.

Hope this helps. I read on a US forum about the rear armrests also presenting the same problem even though they are slightly shorter in length.

It is not a 'mileage' issue as much as it is just a weakness on our particular builds. Definitely no door squeaks after replacement. Obviously this has been fixed on later builds as where else would Toyota obtain the replacement panels. From what I can read on other forum sites it is a worldwide problem.

Following on from my post of March 22nd., I have had the passenger side door panel replaced due to the armrest cracking (or breaking) due to it's inherent weakness. As mentioned our vehicle had a build date of August 2007 and this weakness in the armrest has obviously been fixed in later builds.

How much later I do not know. Out of curiosity I called the dealer's parts Dept. and asked how much the inside door panels would cost. I was quoted a figure of $2,150.00 each side. What the ..... . I said I didn't want to buy the complete door just the inside plastic door panel for a Grande. But the answer was that as they are currently being replaced under warranty that is the listed retail price.

Certainly happy they broke while in warranty.

Ouch...all four of my armrests have these cracks, and is becoming very annoying everytime you rest your arm on them etc.

Wonder what Toyota will have to say when I ask for all of them to be replaced under warranty????:)

Edited by wilsact

Hi guys

- can you please post some pictures of this cracking / splitting ?

Hi,

You wont see anything because it is under the armrest padding, but you can feel it. Also it flexes and creaks everytime you put your arm onto it. With time it would probably/possibly damage the padding, so definately worth getting replaced while under warranty.

I saw Toyota today and they are now replacing all four door trims.......glad im not paying!!!

Edited by wilsact

The wife broke the drivers side rest in our '07. Took it to the dealer for the 30K service the other day and told them about it. They rang today to tell me the part had come in.

Fantastic service from Toyota!

I hope so <_<

I asked the ACT dealer if they are aware of this apparently common problem - response - no!

Need to see the car to assess it - fair enough, but the fact that Toyota has not advised dealers about the issue is rather perplexing :unsure:

I hope so <_<

I asked the ACT dealer if they are aware of this apparently common problem - response - no!

Need to see the car to assess it - fair enough, but the fact that Toyota has not advised dealers about the issue is rather perplexing :unsure:

Mine goes in Friday week for a service and to have it replaced. I've asked them to check all of the doors. The service centre didn't say either way whether it was a common problem.

• 1 month later...

I have a aug-sept 2007 Kluger, all four armrests snapped, Toyota said it was wear and tear it wasn't until my wife contacted conumer affairs that they agreed to fix it. I'm pleased to hear it shoddy components and other people have the same problem, they should announce a recall!!.

Got the 30,000k service done a few days ago and mentioned the armrest problem.

Was told firmly, toyota would fix both front ones this time and only once will they be fixed.

Was also told that I should not be leaning my body weight on them or using the doors/arms pads as an entry aid ?? :( ??. They believed thats potentially why they both split. (I'm not crippled tooo!)

I wasn't going to explain that the main body weight contact is when you are cornering left and your arm digs in more, as they are going to fix it when the parts arrive. Maybe when you hit a left cnr you should raise your elbow onto the window edge. :( :(

My wife is a size 10-12 and yet the front passenger side predoninately used by her and is split too.

No one really sits in the rear of my car so the rears are OK.

Anyway, great service as usual by Toyota and in particular my local dealer, :rolleyes: Just a wrong reasoning on why they spilt directed at me the operator of the vehicle.

Edited by fish475

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had the driver's side replaced. It doesn't seem any sturdier. Local Toyota dealer refuses to replace others unless they break.

• 3 months later...

My Kluger is only a few weeks old and I checked the armrests this morning after reading your post and they seem very flexible.

Seems as if there is no fix to the part in newer models - this is just a weakness in the part.

• 4 weeks later...
Just noticed a thread on the US forum which says the replacement armrest has a different part number:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311707

Does anyone know if the part numbers have been updated in Australia as well?

Had the arm rest looked at when my car was serviced today as it had broke again. Previously the whole panel was replaced, which took 6 weeks to ship the part from Japan. This time round I was told that they were aware that this was an issue with some Klugers and that parts would be in from Sydney in two days. Was told that replacement parts were different from the original.

• 4 weeks later...

New modified arm rest has been fitted to the drivers side. It is a lot sturdier than the previous ones that were fitted. Plastic fatigue was cited as the issue on the job sheet. Unfortunately they only did the one.

New modified arm rest has been fitted to the drivers side. It is a lot sturdier than the previous ones that were fitted. Plastic fatigue was cited as the issue on the job sheet. Unfortunately they only did the one.

Plastic fatigue .... go figure ... this on a 1-2 year old vehicle. They are toying with you.

So what you do is go and lean on the armrest/s in question with your elbow as someone would do

when adjusting their seating position. If it is not able to withstand that then it is certainly not worthy of being

called an arm-rest and should be replaced with one that is of sufficient strength for the purpose.