2007 Camry Sportivo Fuel Economy??????

andrewaa1

My camry sportivo fuel economy runs at best 14.2/100km. I had Toyota perform several diagnostic tests and they have advised me thats it, thats the standard fuel economy for all camrys. Strange I thought, the reason why I bought the vehicle was for its advertised fuel economy 9.9ltrs/100km so I am convinced there is something wrong????But I have been told otherwise!!

One of the excusses given from Toyota for the different fuel economy compared to 9.9ltrs was that the advertised fuel economy is based on the engine only test, that means no alternator, wind resistance, no car body, Nuda, just the motor???

Question I ask all, What should your fuel economy be on a 2007 Camry sportivo 2.4Ltr. Driven very easy, with no air con, suburban driving???

I know there can be lots of variables but should the true fuel economy be close to 9.9ltrs/100kms????

The vehicle is fully serviced!!!!!!!

One of the excusses given from Toyota for the different fuel economy compared to 9.9ltrs was that the advertised fuel economy is based on the engine only test, that means no alternator, wind resistance, no car body, Nuda, just the motor???

That’s total Bull! The fuel consumption figures are not even done by Toyota, but by Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, in real world situations, with a combination of urban, and highway driving. Your car should be getting a lower figure closer to the 9.9L/100kms.

Well there could be a few reasons why it's getting that. Suburban driving as in lots of lights and peak hour stop start? Tyre pressure? Are you using the same tyre and wheel combo?

However saying that your are getting the same fuel comsumption as me with the supercharger and thats with me giving it some at times lol.

My camry sportivo fuel economy runs at best 14.2/100km. I had Toyota perform several diagnostic tests and they have advised me thats it, thats the standard fuel economy for all camrys. Strange I thought, the reason why I bought the vehicle was for its advertised fuel economy 9.9ltrs/100km so I am convinced there is something wrong????But I have been told otherwise!!

Question I ask all, What should your fuel economy be on a 2007 Camry sportivo 2.4Ltr. Driven very easy, with no air con, suburban driving???

I know there can be lots of variables but should the true fuel economy be close to 9.9ltrs/100kms????

The vehicle is fully serviced!!!!!!!

yea mate. those figures dont seem right at all. fully serviced and your still getting shoddy results like that... doesnt seem right. ur burning ur fuel elsewhere. theres something wrong. i don't kno if its something id be able to live with tbh. get it checked out by a few other mechanics n don't settle until you find out whats wrong with it. if you cant get it fixed ... id consider selling it. but thats just me.

My mom has an '05 2AZ Automatic Camry, and once pulled off: 34 miles per gallon (US) equals 6.92 liters/100 km.

In my '96 V6 Auto Camry, I've pulled off: 30 miles per gallon (US) equals 7.84 liters/100 km.

In my same car, since I added a Supercharger, I have pulled off as high as: 27 miles per gallon (US) equals 8.71 liters/100 km.

So no matter you look at it, your figures are really bad. The testing done in the US for MPG is done by the government, with a real car, being driven outdoors, in real world situations.

i'm not sure about around town figures much, but on the highway i can average under 8, usually low 7's

Maybe take it for a highway run, that will eliminate the fact that it might be a heavy right foot causing it?? :)

damn that sucks, my boy got an auto camry tivo 07 too, his pulling about 12-14ltrs per 100 haha, i got a gen6 camry tivo manual and i get about 6.0 hwy driving and about 8ltrs in city. :)

Lead foot is out of the question, Sometimes I take of so slow from light I have pensioners honking there horns at me. 95% of the time female (wife) driver with 3 kids in the back (all under 5)

I did consider the 6cylinder at time of purchase as it has the same fuel economy 9.9ltr / 100km (well that might be bull too)

Highway driving is somewhat better around 11ltr / 100km..

Forgot to mention on a full tank the onboard computer indicates 476km range. 70 ltr tank capacity, thats 6.8km per ltr..

How can I push this on Toyota to fix, advise please

i honestly dont think toyota will do anything, because it could be the way you drive the car that makes the car drink alot. an advice, as soon as i fill up from the petrol station, i never let the my revs go past 3-4 thousand RPMS, for about 10mins of driving, do this and youll notice your _ ltrs / 100kms will drop rapidly. ive done it to my mates aurion too :) got it down to 10.8 haha

I take no responsibility for this BUT I have a tivo 07' as well had the same problem as you (was getting 12.4l) and I flashed my ecu a few times over a wknd and drove it like I stole it most of the part. After that I went for a 300k country run and ever since then have been good for 9lt on suburban and lowest 6.4l - 7.4l hwy its amazing how economic it can be on hwys if you "manage" too keep her below 2grand ...hope that helps

I take no responsibility for this BUT I have a tivo 07' as well had the same problem as you (was getting 12.4l) and I flashed my ecu a few times over a wknd and drove it like I stole it most of the part. After that I went for a 300k country run and ever since then have been good for 9lt on suburban and lowest 6.4l - 7.4l hwy its amazing how economic it can be on hwys if you "manage" too keep her below 2grand ...hope that helps

What is ecu??? And to flush it what needs to be done???

What is ecu??? And to flush it what needs to be done???

the ecu is the engine computer. to clear it of all settings you just need to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, clear all residual charge (pump brake pedal hard a few times) and leave it for an hour or so before reconnecting it. this will get the ecu to learn your driving habits and adapt the best settings for your style of driving

Edited by lateralus

My wife has an 07 Ateva auto and it gets between high 7's and low 10's per 100km. Most of the time it sits around the high 8's to mid 9's with a 30/70% mix of suburban and highway driving.

We run the Camry of Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, but have found it gets about 0.5l/100km better economy on the V-Power.

• 2 weeks later...

14.2 definately sounds a bit high for suburban driving, but for city driving it wouldn't be too surprising.

Here's a quote from an NRMA 2006 Camry review:

However, the Camry's urban test figure, gained during the same test procedure but not made public, is 13.8 litres/100km, on regular unleaded. We recorded 11-14 litres/100km on test.

So the Camry, in city driving at least, is one of the thirstier four cylinder sedans, because it's also relatively big and heavy.

relatively high mass, automatic transmission and stop-start driving is not good for fuel economy, even with a 2.4 four cylinder.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2010 Camry sportivo, and I do 100% city drive, my fuel comsumption was around 12L/100km. I always keep my rev under 3000 rpm and I am using Shell 95. I consider this a lot! Now knowing you are getting like 14L/100km, this is worse man! I think Toyota need to fix up their new generation Camry! I am gonna reset my ECU and hope this will fix the problem.

Thats good private number!!! I can never achieve that!! But mind you, When I first got the car, I use 95 shell, I manage to got about 10.6L/100km which is equivalent to around 550km per tank. Then I deicde to change to E10 just to see what difference it will make, then I only manage to squeeze 450Km per tank out of it. So I swapped back to shell 95, now i am stuck with about 480km/tank, I can't do 550km anymore... I wonder if the ECU getting confuse everytime we change fuel...., I've always drive very softly to safe fuel, so i just can not accept the fuel economy I am getting at the moment... very frustrating especially with the petrol price so high.

Good news!!! I reset the ECU, and now the economy has improved! City drive back to around 10.5L/100km. This is what I got at the end of the day, hopefully more driving will improve it more. Because I took the battery terminal off, now I into myself some trouble. The radio is asking me for the 3 digit security code which i don't know. I got the 2010 camry which has the head unit with 4.3 inch screen, so the reverse camera and the sound system is not working. The head unit allow 10 incorrect pin code attempt, I've tried 4 already. So this is a worry for me now...

Good news!!! I reset the ECU, and now the economy has improved! City drive back to around 10.5L/100km. This is what I got at the end of the day, hopefully more driving will improve it more. Because I took the battery terminal off, now I into myself some trouble. The radio is asking me for the 3 digit security code which i don't know. I got the 2010 camry which has the head unit with 4.3 inch screen, so the reverse camera and the sound system is not working. The head unit allow 10 incorrect pin code attempt, I've tried 4 already. So this is a worry for me now...

What ever you do dont lock out the head unit. you may want to call the dealer first before you kill it...

Atleast your fuel consumption has improved :)

Yeah there is something wrong with your Camry there... Aurion’s return much better fuel efficiency than that and you get much more g.o for it too...

What was your previous car to the Camry though? I quite often drive a Camry Sportivo at work and i find i get better figures from my Aurion, purely because I have to work the Camry's 2AZ much harder than the Aurion's 2GR to get the same sort of performance and I’m not even talking caning the car here either just normal town driving and highway kms on/off ramps. It's a alotta car for 117kw.. Your car is probably 2 litres more than it should be. You’ve checked the normal things, air/fuel filter wacked a bottle of injector cleaner through?