Replacing motor

Hi guys,

i'm just having issues with my motor due to wear and tear. the motor is now knocking its balls off... and i really mean it.

my mechanic diagnosed it with mild knocking ages ago but i ignored it.

just need a run down approx .. how much it would cost to get a 2nd hand motor, labour + time frame it would take to replace providing they have the motor there.

thanks

looks like im keeping the rolla for another year or 2. lol

Edited by DuGong

i reckon it would take a day to replace providing they start it 8am, and u pick it up 5. as for cost :unsure: mechanics charge what $80/h ??? i know we charge $110.. id get different quotes from a few places

you can get a fresh 1zz from most wreckers for ~$700, they're not in huge demand compared to front end panels.

$500 labour to swap it over is fair, takes less than a day in a properly equipped workshop.

the motor is now pending. mechanic going to look for a new fresh 1zz..

labour is 500 bucks for the swap with the charger...

$500 is a good price. I got an engine changed over, also had front/rear main seals, new clutch and new water pump installed for $550.

While it's out, I'd probably spend that little extra and get things like that done too as labour is the main killer when you need to fix them.

thanks

replacing the motor.. do u need a engineers cert or do u need to do any new paper work?

no engineer cert aslong as the engine is the same size, as in 1.8L tho im sure you will have to let the rta know the engine number has changed.

im planning to keep it the same at the moment just that the motor died earlier than expected. i should have the car back on the road in 2 weeks.

Oh ok,

i did not know it was supacharged ;)

if you want, i will 'look' after that supacharga haha lolz :P

in all seriousness, it would be better to get a second-hand 1ZZ for your forced induction :D

say, how much was actually involved in sc the 1ZZ?

Evo

Hi guys,

i'm just having issues with my motor due to wear and tear. the motor is now knocking its balls off... and i really mean it.

my mechanic diagnosed it with mild knocking ages ago but i ignored it.

just need a run down approx .. how much it would cost to get a 2nd hand motor, labour + time frame it would take to replace providing they have the motor there.

wear and tear because of the S/C?

I would say its the wear from poor or aggressive tuning, and not from force induction specifically.

To give an idea...

I have had the same supercharger and now running a turbocharger

Supercharger - approx 16,000km (can't remember exactly)

Turbocharger - approx 9500km

Motor has done 104,000kms

Had the same clutch from 36,000km

IMO, the motor does fine with good care, tuning and i am by no means a 'granny' driver.

Wanted to clear this up before everyone starts to think its force induction that kills motors. :)

Cheers.

thanks

replacing the motor.. do u need a engineers cert or do u need to do any new paper work?

If you only putting the same type and size of engine back in you only need to take to an inspection place that can do blue slips (old name) and show them the new engine number which they record on the blue slip and you take that to the RTA.

They might even do it at the inspection place over the internet.

Last I heard about $50.

I would say its the wear from poor or aggressive tuning, and not from force induction specifically.

To give an idea...

IMO, the motor does fine with good care, tuning and i am by no means a 'granny' driver.

Wanted to clear this up before everyone starts to think its force induction that kills motors. :)

Cheers.

you dont need FI to kill a motor hehe :D

To give an idea...

Cheers.

Learn from the BEST :clap:

Evo

To give an idea...

Cheers.

Learn from the BEST :clap:

Evo

well... ive had the supercharger for about 2.5 years and clocked up lots of k's... i thrashed so hard that i forgot to fill the motor with oil.. thats when the problem started... just little ticking noise... then it got worse..

the mechanic found a motor with 60'ooo ks on it for $1100.00.. so the total bill is $1600 for the swap.... this sat the car will go for the swap... not sure whether i should keep the charger or not... lol... we shall see by sunday...

just curious, did you ever seriously consider adding lift (2zz) to your corolla, since youre going to have to take out your 1zz anyway? how much more would it cost? money + time..?

just curious, did you ever seriously consider adding lift (2zz) to your corolla, since youre going to have to take out your 1zz anyway? how much more would it cost? money + time..?

thought about going 2zz auto.. but nah.. too much money spent...1zz prolly the best option for me....

Im 99% sure im staying NA.. CBF swapping the supercharger over... lazy...