Speeding

Are you a little heavy in your right foot? Do you have the urge to go from 0-100klm regardless of where you are? Do you look left and right at a red light? Are you always checking your side and rear mirrors? Do you like licking the redline in your shifting? Does your car roar from point A to B?

An issue that has long dawned on all drivers. (a friend of mine recently got done in his STi doing 100klm down a 50klm/h residential zone). Lets just say bye bye licence for 1 year, hefty fine and either illegal driving or being taxied around from now on.

Is it really worth the risk? Especially with the new probationary licences; eg. red P's, green P's, restrictions, restrictions, restrictions. Police love those plates.

We must all think before we plant the right pedal down, just to be ahead, just to beat someone, just to get there earlier. Is it really worth it? Is your licence worth it? Is your job worth it? Is your car worth it? Is your life worth it?

Don't get me wrong, i drove my old celica like a GTR skyline on NOS on my P's. But since getting my full licence and ZR, i got over the whole speeding thing. (with the odd 140 at night) oops. :huh:

The younger drivers of our time are impressionable and need to rethink how important their licence is and that many things get affected by not having a licence.

Theres been countless times where i almost lost mine and it would of hurt, esp with work.

Wanna speed? Save it for the tracks.

Johnnie boi

too true.

took my p plates off the other day, going on the highway, wanted to go 110 without dirty's, so happily driving 110, ( 20 days till im on my fulls ), and it was raining, decided to lick the redline as you suggested in gear 4 B) pulled 180 on m4 at roughly 2pm. sprinkling, but its the adrenalin rush johnie, leave us P platers alone, we live to learn the hard way

too true.

took my p plates off the other day, going on the highway, wanted to go 110 without dirty's, so happily driving 110, ( 20 days till im on my fulls ), and it was raining, decided to lick the redline as you suggested in gear 4 B) pulled 180 on m4 at roughly 2pm. sprinkling, but its the adrenalin rush johnie, leave us P platers alone, we live to learn the hard way

...I dont think he is suggesting you red line, especially in 4th, on wet roads, while on your P's, without your P plates on.

That was meant to inspire safe driving

Well done Johnnieboi

*Puts on flame suit*

You have made some pretty valid points in your post there, but as much as I would agree with what you're saying, words like that alone aren't going to have any impact on the issue. People tend to require a bit of convincing before they would change their minds and their habits. Things like this, people just tend to shrug off. It's like the whole 'smoking kills' campaigns. Putting a large warning and disgusting photo on the side of a cigarette box doesn't seem to deter anyone.

Just how I see things though. I'm referring to the range of 10-20km/h over the limit. Purely just my take on the subject, not here to get counselled:

We must all think before we plant the right pedal down, just to be ahead, just to beat someone, just to get there earlier. Is it really worth it? Is your licence worth it? Is your job worth it? Is your car worth it? Is your life worth it?

Of course it isn't really worth it, but people don't tend to think along these lines at the time. If it's a habit, it will just happen regardless. Once one gets the feel for driving, it becomes a stage of competence known as 'unconscious competence'. It all becomes second nature and you don't really think about it. So if you aren't really thinking about your driving in general, if conditions around you seem clear enough, you aren't going to go into deep thought about what CAN happen.

I speed on a daily basis. It's not something that I intentionally do but it's because I have done it that little bit to much in the past on my early stages of my Provisionals that it is what feels 'normal' to me. I gauge my driving by how I feel and not by what the speedo tells me.

Don't get me wrong, i drove my old celica like a GTR skyline on NOS on my P's. But since getting my full licence and ZR, i got over the whole speeding thing. (with the odd 140 at night) oops. huh.gif

I guess I could say I'm over it as well now that I'm on my opens, but that's to say I don't speed to gain enjoyment. As per my note above, it's what has been 'programmed' into me as normal driving behaviour.

The younger drivers of our time are impressionable and need to rethink how important their licence is and that many things get affected by not having a licence. Theres been countless times where i almost lost mine and it would of hurt, esp with work.

I would have to say I am pretty damn lucky that I still have my licence. Regardless, it doesn't change my driving habits, and thinking about it now still won't. Just an example how it's not always that simple to change ones mind.

^x2

let me put this question out there do u think the australian govermant wants to stop speeding? the answer is no. at the end of the day it all comes down to $$$$$$ just like every thing else in this world, the goverment makes money off u when u break the law.and the trade off is some runs the risk of dieing. if theres one thing history has shown us time and time again it is $$$$$$ seems to be more inportant than a human life.

yes yoshi i know ta, tho i must admit, after i do speed and i stop at lights, i take a look at the person nxt to me in their car and think if i lost control and hit his car who's family am i destroying, :( so i do have a guilty conscience, and i try and only do it when i know its safe and i can't destroy other peoples family, and no-oone else is in my car.

^x2

let me put this question out there do u think the australian govermant wants to stop speeding? the answer is no. at the end of the day it all comes down to $$$$$$ just like every thing else in this world, the goverment makes money off u when u break the law.and the trade off is some runs the risk of dieing. if theres one thing history has shown us time and time again it is $$$$$$ seems to be more inportant than a human life.

x2

and it was raining, decided to lick the redline as you suggested in gear 4 B) pulled 180 on m4 at roughly 2pm.

2pm on a weekday whilst its raining on the M4. Not the smartest thing you've done in life hey? But probably not the dumbest.

but its the adrenalin rush johnie, leave us P platers alone, we live to learn the hard way

I'm sure that the judge, jury & the families of innocent bystanders that you kill would be most interested in hearing that...

I generaly stick to between the limit and 10 over but some places are REALLY hard as the limit is just sooooo slooow. I regularly drive through areas that used to be 100 and are now 60!

I get very frustrated that these slow limits are everywhere because of a mixture of bad drivers and total **** box cars that cause these limits to be dropped. If everyone had to go through VERY stringent advanced driving courses and tests as a part of getting ur licence and cars had compulsary regular checks of the performance of their shock absorbers and brakes, raised the standards for what is considered a street legal tyre (abolish all the sub-$100 tyres) and made basic handling upgrades compulsory for old cars like HQ's that didn't even come with swaybars, the limits could be higher, road safety would be better, there would be less crashes and the roads would be more convenient as ppl could get from A to B quicker and use less fuel and produce less emissions which is better on the environment (eg going 70 where the speed limit is currently 50). Yes this would cost some people more money but if U can't afford a safe car that handles well then get off the road! Also as people get into their elderley years and their senses start to deteriorate, as chopper would say, get off the ******en road!

Edited by bradsm87

i agree with that^^

But the thing is not every1 can afford to buy decent cars with better safetly ratings...this is the reason alot of ppl drive around with unrepaired damage on their cars really, very true but unrealistic. Maybe a system like in sweden would work well, with everyone having to pass an advanced drivers course and be able to perform handbrake turns and J turns, I did an advanced drivers course and it helped.

I am also a P plater but in QLD i got my P's before the new laws came in so I dont have to display them, one night i finished work and on my way home (highway amongst cain farms) I decided i wanted to see what the rolla could do, with only 1 personon the road behind me i planted it... got to 140 and the red and blue lights came on.. 3 months off the road... bugger..

My 2c

Tom

I speed safely - I know it's apparently an oxymoron but it's the truth. I'm going to cause more road accidents going 10km under the limit than I am going 10km over the limit - think about it. Cars behind me will get annoyed, try to overtake me and putting themselves in danger. If I can safely go 10km over the limit, I will as it generally helps traffic move along and stops some idiots acting like idiots. If speeding is apparently the main reason for road accidents, why do other countries have MUCH higher or no limits at all and still have less deaths on the road?

Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars, etc.

Okay, i think we've all thrown our thoughts out on the table. I agree with what your saying DJKOR. That my simple message wont do much to stop people from their driving habits. I guess, because i've had someone close affected by it i can see how bad it is.

And i guess people will never truly understand something until they learn it the hard way. And having someone else say "dont do it", "its not worth it" wont change their mind. Maybe it takes one accident, maybe it takes one close call, maybe it takes one pullover with the red and blue.

So if anything, i hope that this topic encourages one driver to rethink the next time he steps on the pedal;

one driver, one licence, one car and one life.

Johnnie boi

i agree with that^^

But the thing is not every1 can afford to buy decent cars with better safetly ratings...this is the reason alot of ppl drive around with unrepaired damage on their cars really, very true but unrealistic. Maybe a system like in sweden would work well, with everyone having to pass an advanced drivers course and be able to perform handbrake turns and J turns, I did an advanced drivers course and it helped.

I am also a P plater but in QLD i got my P's before the new laws came in so I dont have to display them, one night i finished work and on my way home (highway amongst cain farms) I decided i wanted to see what the rolla could do, with only 1 personon the road behind me i planted it... got to 140 and the red and blue lights came on.. 3 months off the road... bugger..

My 2c

Tom

Enforcing it by law would be a good way to force rubbish cars off the road. There's still plenty of public transport.

While on the subject of speed (lol), what sort of speeds are you guys hitting in the Sportivo's in 1st and 2nd? Just curious.

Cheers

1st roughly 65, 2nd just over 100.

yes we all know speeding is stupid, and should not be done, we all say its stupid and should not be done but everyone does it. May be stupid but i never drive my car, its at a family's house 30km away from me, im paying of a debt and when i do get the chance to drive it, i feel that ive worked hard for it and i can enjoy the ride, most the time i take it easy and enjoy the ride, but shameless to say, as ive said before i do speed and i do feel stupid after it. and sorry for saying what speed i do, to most its bragging, but stupidity on my behalf, im just a ****** p plater who thinks their invincible behind the wheel :excl:

While on the subject of speed (lol), what sort of speeds are you guys hitting in the Sportivo's in 1st and 2nd? Just curious.

Cheers

1st roughly 65, 2nd just over 100.

yes we all know speeding is stupid, and should not be done, we all say its stupid and should not be done but everyone does it. May be stupid but i never drive my car, its at a family's house 30km away from me, im paying of a debt and when i do get the chance to drive it, i feel that ive worked hard for it and i can enjoy the ride, most the time i take it easy and enjoy the ride, but shameless to say, as ive said before i do speed and i do feel stupid after it. and sorry for saying what speed i do, to most its bragging, but stupidity on my behalf, im just a ****** p plater who thinks their invincible behind the wheel :excl:

Wait till you have your first big miss. That mentality seems to change VERY quickly after that; I've been in some situations I've narrowly escaped from a potentially fatal crash (probably half the time my fault) and apart fro giving my pants a bit of mileage, I slow down a fair bit after that.

The main problem with me is I feel confident to speed in my car. In the MR2, no way - Rowan can attest to that.

i dont think it has any thing to do with the cars on the road or what safety rateing they do or dont have, do u think if your in a potentially life ending accident your going to be any safer in that brand new clubsport than you are in the hq? i dont think so, plus when was the last time u saw a hq on the road any way? i think firstly it comes down to the driver and what he's driveing habits are, and we all know humans are not good and following simple rules (especially under 25s). there for the answer is harsher penalties no tolarance on hooning and bad driveing. no fines just severe action taken, loss of car, loss of licence, jailtime etc.

i dont think it has any thing to do with the cars on the road or what safety rateing they do or dont have, do u think if your in a potentially life ending accident your going to be any safer in that brand new clubsport than you are in the hq? i dont think so, plus when was the last time u saw a hq on the road any way? i think firstly it comes down to the driver and what he's driveing habits are, and we all know humans are not good and following simple rules (especially under 25s). there for the answer is harsher penalties no tolarance on hooning and bad driveing. no fines just severe action taken, loss of car, loss of licence, jailtime etc.

So, so wrong on all accounts. Driver education is where the changes will occur, not the route the government is currently following. More strict = more people running from accidents. To top it off, EDIT: Have you actually seen the differences in an accident between a new car with a high ANCAP rating to some old junker? You would be surprised how much of a difference there is, regardless of car size.

Edited by the_random_hero

I already mentioned driver training is the most important.

I don't care what the outcome is once you've put yourself into an accident, When I talk about the quality of the cars I mean if U have a better car, your braking distance is reduced and your grip is increased if u ever need to swerve to miss something and just a generally better handling car that doesn't hold up traffic.

There are way too many early '90's hyundai excel with $39 155/80R13 tyres and completely ****** shocks and bushes with about half a turn of play in the steering wheel getting around and it's partly cars like this that make our speed limits so damn low. It's drivers like that that just don't give a **** that shouldn't be on our roads.

I was on my way home the other day in the rain, and a fella in an old heap of crap was doing the speed limit, however I think his brakes had failed and he was forced to rip the handbrake causing him to slide and swerve across the lane next to him (we were approaching a red light), I was in the 1st lane, he was in the 3rd moving into the 2nd. Luckily most of the drivers were aware and an accident was avoided - however he was fairly close to me and while he had the wheels turned I happened to notice barely any tread on his tyres... Rediculous...

Edited by leviin

So, so wrong on all accounts. Driver education is where the changes will occur, not the route the government is currently following. More strict = more people running from accidents. To top it off, EDIT: Have you actually seen the differences in an accident between a new car with a high ANCAP rating to some old junker? You would be surprised how much of a difference there is, regardless of car size.

have i seen the difference of the damage? i answer that with i was a spraypainter for 5 years. in a medium to small hit you would be better off in a brand new car, in a big hit there would be little difference. i do understand what your saying about the older cars being badly maintained and that leads to accidents. in all honesty i dont think driver training/education does ****, they'll just walk away laughing at the instructer saying to them selves what tool he was, u give a younge mind to much credit. i know what option id fear more a couple hours of training or some serious jail time....how about you?

Edited by spillige

have i seen the difference of the damage? i answer that with i was a spraypainter for 5 years. in a medium to small hit you would be better off in a brand new car, in a big hit there would be little difference. i do understand what your saying about the older cars being badly maintained and that leads to accidents. in all honesty i dont think driver training/education does ****, they'll just walk away laughing at the instructer saying to them selves what tool he was, u give a younge mind to much credit. i know what option id fear more a couple hours of training or some serious jail time....how about you?

It's not about fear though - at least, it shouldn't be. People won't give a **** about road rules no matter how strict they become, as I've said before if there was gaol time for fairly minor offences you can bet on people running from accident scenes.

The problem with most people on the road is they don't know the difference between their limits and their cars limits. Just because you think you can handle going around a corner at 90 in the wet doesn't mean your car can. A bit of track time with a qualified school and you soon learn what your car can and can't do. If the government also invests more money into raceways/etc and makes it cheaper and easier for people to get into events like this, it's more likely that people will take their 'hooning' out to a track where they can do it a lot more safely and legally.