Water Temp gauge

Hey guys.

I'm going to be installing my water temp gauge sometime soon and I was wondering what size the radiator hose is? I need to purchase an adapter so it would be good to know the specific size.

Also would I need to drain the coolant if I was to cut into the upper radiator hose? Would this be the best place to put the the sensor?

Cheers

Hi mate,

I'm pretty sure those inline water temp gauges go on the top hose. So what you can do to measure the ID of the hose is loosen the clamp a little, just enough so you can slide it back a bit to measure the bung off the radiator with some vernier callipers (or whatever you have available). That way you shouldn't make a mess everywhere, until you actually go to install it. :P

Gav.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine is on the top hose as well, unless of course I remembered it wrong (size). :lol:

Anyways, it was a rather tight fit for mine, no leaks etc. So all is good I suppose.

You guys using the factory black hose?

As long as the 34mm fits though. Got one sitting at home already.

Also in regards to preparation before cutting, how much coolant do I have to drain, the whole lot??

Isnt there a signal wire you can tap into?

If you do that you change the resistance of the signal, which makes the reading very wrong.

Gav.

Ok sorry to ruin the thread, first off, thanks for the info. saved me a lot of hassle. secondly, is there a signal wire for the oil sensor or same deal as with water?

is there a signal wire for the oil sensor or same deal as with water?

Depends on what you are measuring. Pressure or low level? ECU doesn't measure oil temp. Either way I wouldn't tap into those wires as it will change the resistance.

As for installing the water temp gauge, no need to drain the radiator. Wait till it is cool/cold, and get a sharp knife and cut out 1" to fit the temp sensor mount in. Could probably get away with not even removing 1" of hose. Then top it up with what ever you lost, and get a hose to wash the spilt fluid out (don't wet the battery! bag it or something).

Isnt there a signal wire you can tap into?

If you do that you change the resistance of the signal, which makes the reading very wrong.

Gav.

Ok sorry to ruin the thread, first off, thanks for the info. saved me a lot of hassle. secondly, is there a signal wire for the oil sensor or same deal as with water?

If you want to get oil pressure and temperature, you can add a sandwich adapter to the oil filter location and tap into that. These are usually used for adding an inline oil cooler, but also work great for tapping in sensors too.

Here is a link to an eBay sandwich adapter, but be mindful of the thread and pitch for where it threads onto the oil filter. If they are the wrong diameter, they are a great source for oil leaks! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Oil-Filter-Adaptor-...93%3A1|294%3A50

Gav.

Alrighty got the hose adapter in..

34mm is a bit too big. I think 32mm would have been perfect.

It's on and there's no visible leaks when I had the engine on.