Bridgestone or Goodyear

Speed

hey there, i after a 4 set of new tyres. but i dont know any brand tyre, my friend tell me to get bridgestone or goodyear, i search around for my tyre : 205/60R16, Bridgestone ER300 for $160 each, and Goodyear Assurance $170 each. make i ask, what should i get ? and which is the best to suit for camry sportivo 05.

goodyear assurance arent all that great from what ive heard, but the er300 arent bad. i've got dunlop sp sport 300e's, and theyre good. theyre a tad slippery in the wet when you go hard, but otherwise good.

botht the tyres you mention are pedestrian tyres.

look into potenzas or g3 from those manufacturers if you are comfortable with those brands

you get what you pay for with tyres. i run potenzas

whitestivo

all fine to say, but 205/60R16 is an odd size, and not many performance tyres are made in 60 series for passenger cars, especially with the 205 width and 16 rim diamater. hence why majority of tyres in this category are all touring tyres

Edited by lateralus

botht the tyres you mention are pedestrian tyres.

look into potenzas or g3 from those manufacturers if you are comfortable with those brands

you get what you pay for with tyres. i run potenzas

It depends on what he is after really. Not everyone is performance oriented. When I refer to the Potenza here, I mean the Adrenalin. Of course there is the Potenza R050 which is more of an all-rounder, but they cost like double the price of what he has been looking at.

Now of course I see the advantage of having the Potenzas even if you don't plan on doing spirited driving due to the extra safety that comes from grip. However, if he is after just more of an all rounder, I would suggest to not go for them. The one thing I have noticed with the Adrenalins is that they lose their grip in the wet from wear much sooner than your general all-rounder tire. As well, I don't imagine them lasting as long as well even when driven lightly.

For an all-rounder, Michelin Energy MXV8's do their job pretty well. I've subjected a set of them to a mountain run and if they manage to hold alright on that, they will be more than enough grip for everyday driving. They are also decent in the wet and don't really lose their performance until they are close to the end of their life.

The ER300's held there own in a tyre test carried out by Wheels or Motor a couple of years ago. This was in a 17inch size but it was against "performance tyres" I think they came 3rd overall.

Not everyone needs or requires a tyre for cutting laps at QR. The wet weather performance of the Adrenalin's is not equal to other performance tyres either.

Edited by SupaTouring

PLus im not sure about Goodyear but Bridgestones are made in Australia ;)

Bridgestone claim they are Australia's only tire manufacturer.

PLus im not sure about Goodyear but Bridgestones are made in Australia ;)

Bridgestone claim they are Australia's only tire manufacturer.

From memory not all of their range is made in Aus though...pretty sure the GIIIs were imports from Japan when they used to still sell them.

if my Rim 205/60R16 can i use 205/55R16 tyres to my rim ?

Actually, if you wanted to step down a profile, you are best to go to 215/55/R16. This will provide the least difference in rolling circumference. Also a little more common of a tire size.... and it's an available size for Adrenalins :spiteful: :spiteful:. Mind my bias.

A good site to check these things is: 1010 Tires - Tire Size Calculator

tire.jpg

listen to djkor, the man speaks the word of mod very well

55, heaps better, pretty sure can get some decent rubber with that

if that photo in your sig is your car, man, i'd be putting decent rubber on it as it looks terrific

packaged wheels and tyres are usually crap, hankook, falken, firestone, nankang

whitestivo

That picture the TS-01. :P And just remember with the 215s its going to make your tyres bulge out a little more and I think is the largest you can go with the stock width rims.

That picture the TS-01. :P And just remember with the 215s its going to make your tyres bulge out a little more and I think is the largest you can go with the stock width rims.

very true. and with that, youd most likely be back to square one as it wouldnt increase steering feedback or handling, even though it is a little wider.

very true. and with that, youd most likely be back to square one as it wouldnt increase steering feedback or handling, even though it is a little wider.

If you step up the width of the tire and step down the profile, you aren't making that big of a difference. I just did that lately with my Aurion on it's 7 inch wide 17 inch rims. I have had not lost any ride quality, feedback, or handling.

Before (215/55R17):

dsc03338ou6.jpg

After (225/50R17):

dsc04227n.jpg