Steering Wheel Shake Over 120km

Yeah whats up.

I had my king spring lows installed at my local mechanic. (they gave me a good price).

Then i drove to my local Bob Jane T-Mart (TAKING IT EASY) for an anignment and balance.

While on the way I noticed it was pulling left. Meh.

2 hours later (not too happy about that) they were finished.

While on the 10 minute drive to the Highway I noticed the left pull had gone. YAY.

One problem. Once I hit the highway I threw it into 4th, screamed upto 120Km/hr and the steering wheel started to slowly shake. I slowed back down to 100 - gone.

"Hmmm" I thought. "Cross Wind?"

I stayed in 5th this time, slowly sped upto 120, it started again, sped upto 130, it got worse, upto 140, even worse!!!

I'd had enough. 100Km all the way home.

Since then i've been super busy with work only once or twice hitting 120 so it hasn't been on my mind.

Currently there are no other steering/handling issues.

So...what could be the problem? lol

NOTE: I didn't receive an asignment/balance report from Bob Jane.

Thanks in advance guys/gals.

-Azza

Edited by mrcrazyrolla

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I also have king spring lows

I got a left sway bar link in from japan and replaced mine for another reason, but replacing it got rid of most of my steering wheel shaking.

it cost me $165 and took my about 20 mins to put in (take off wheel, take old link out, screw new one in). Jump under the car and have a look. They might of busted it when replacing your springs.

My car makes very very strange sounds when turning left and right and i thought the busted boot on my sway bar link was the problem. But it wasn't.

It kinda sounds like a bit of sheet metal rubbing against my tire. I know its nothing touching the tire because i have not burnt any of the plastic under the guards. Anyone any idea's?

Edited by Madrox

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I also have king spring lows

I got a left sway bar link in from japan and replaced mine for another reason, but replacing it got rid of most of my steering wheel shaking.

it cost me $165 and took my about 20 mins to put in (take off wheel, take old link out, screw new one in). Jump under the car and have a look. They might of busted it when replacing your springs.

My car makes very very strange sounds when turning left and right and i thought the busted boot on my sway bar link was the problem. But it wasn't.

It kinda sounds like a bit of sheet metal rubbing against my tire. I know its nothing touching the tire because i have not burnt any of the plastic under the guards. Anyone any idea's?

So you think they busted my sway bar link?

And replacing yours fixed the shake?

-Azza

I am actually really impressed so far that no one has flamed you for driing at such high speeds (without justification).

Good luck with the fix...

TBH 120 isn't that fast :)

140 was just to test if it was a steering issue or cross wind.

ty for your well wishes :D

-Azza

I am actually really impressed so far that no one has flamed you for driing at such high speeds (without justification).

Good luck with the fix...

TBH 120 isn't that fast :)

140 was just to test if it was a steering issue or cross wind.

ty for your well wishes :D

-Azza

a piece of advice, speeding = BAD!

so keep it at the speed limit, and you have no problems :D

Evo

Would be the easy way out, but it isn't solving the problem.

I would seriously get your wheels balanced somewhere different to where you last went.

i reckon Bob Jane T-Marts CRAP!!! i took my gurlfrenz Kia Rio there to get a wheel alignment, i drove it out of the shop n it kept pulling to the left... So i took it back, they did another wheel alignment it was still the same!! USELESS THEY ARE!!!

i reckon Bob Jane T-Marts CRAP!!! i took my gurlfrenz Kia Rio there to get a wheel alignment, i drove it out of the shop n it kept pulling to the left... So i took it back, they did another wheel alignment it was still the same!! USELESS THEY ARE!!!

Hmmm unless its not the alignment thats the issue?

-Azza

-Azza

yeah RIGHT MATE..

-Azza

yeah RIGHT MATE..

You can do all the wheel alignments in the world but if it's a steering-related problem (ie rack or the like) then it won't change it one bit.

Would be the easy way out, but it isn't solving the problem.

I would seriously get your wheels balanced somewhere different to where you last went.

Thanks daryl having it done friday.

-Azza

DEFINITELY A WHEEL BALANCE PROBLEM. iF YOU GOT STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION AT 60-80KMS, IT WOULD BE A TIE ROD END OR A STEERING RACK PROBLEM.

Never go to those places for wheel alignments. They never do a good job. If your in Sydney, try ACE tyres as they will tell u if they can do it or not or they never touch a car with suspension problems or or steering problems.

DEFINITELY A WHEEL BALANCE PROBLEM. iF YOU GOT STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION AT 60-80KMS, IT WOULD BE A TIE ROD END OR A STEERING RACK PROBLEM.

Never go to those places for wheel alignments. They never do a good job. If your in Sydney, try ACE tyres as they will tell u if they can do it or not or they never touch a car with suspension problems or or steering problems.

Thanks mate. Unfortunally i'm not in the sydney area and I already have another balance booked in.

I'll go to them on friday and make sure they do it properly.

I'll ask to see the scale each time each wheel is weighed, aswell as seeing the balance report.

Other wise no $$$ for them.

-Azza