Cold air intake location

To add to this discussion, I'm getting a little tied up with what filter system to buy...

I was convinced that a TRD CAI was the way to go, then I discovered the blitz sonic air intake....

After having a look at it, it came with its own heat shield and the design looks promising for max airflow and performance gain. However, it sits in the engine bay while the TRD CAI system has the filter sitting away from the heat.

Any thoughts on which way to swing? Both are relatively same price... Heres a pic of the Blitz system...

post-542-1114303817_thumb.jpg

<_< As mentioned perviously - seek and you shall find <search tool>.

Pinned: Parts Locations

Parts where to get them

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...3&st=0&p=25929&

Toyota Racing Development - TRD

Performance Products and Accessories.

Official Australiasian Distributor: -

Sollitt Trading Company Limited.

58 Fitzherbert Street, Petone.

Lower Hutt, New Zealand.

Telephone +64 4 570 1552 - Facsimile +64 4 577 1765.

http://www.trdsales.com/ e-mail: bsollitt@trdsales.com

Official Local Australian Distributor: -

Penrith Toyota.

5 Morley Avenue.

Kingswood, NSW, Australia.

Telephone 02 4736 4888.

Rick Wolany Toyota.

86-100 Lock Avenue.

Werribee, Vic, Australia.

Telephone 03 9974 0200.

Canberra Toyota.

160-164 Melrose Drive.

Canberra, ACT, Australia.

Telephone 02 6222 1829.

Lan Weigh Toyota.

127 Denison Street.

Rockhampton, QLD, Australia.

Telephone 07 4924 5200.

Proformance Spare Parts.

Unit 5/1 Stockwell Place.

Archerfield, QLD, Australia.

Telephone 07 3274 4769.

Source:- Page 83, Hot 4's Toyota Special Collectors Edition. [/b]

Edited by sport1vo

To add to this discussion, I'm getting a little tied up with what filter system to buy...

I was convinced that a TRD CAI was the way to go, then I discovered the blitz sonic air intake....

After having a look at it, it came with its own heat shield and the design looks promising for max airflow and performance gain. However, it sits in the engine bay while the TRD CAI system has the filter sitting away from the heat.

Any thoughts on which way to swing? Both are relatively same price... Heres a pic of the Blitz system...

Had another thought and needed to build on this idea...

Would it work if I got the sonic air intake, and used it as the filter on a TRD CAI?

Best of both worlds?

Had another thought and needed to build on this idea...

Would it work if I got the sonic air intake, and used it as the filter on a TRD CAI?

Best of both worlds?

perhaps....but the gains u receive (most likely minimal) will not be worth the money uv spent in buying the blitz pod (they arnt cheap if i remember correctly)......the TRD pod that comes with the TRD CAI is good enuff for everyday use (fitting is a tad tight).....the KnN is a perfect size for fitting and then there is also the ITG pod a few of the members on here have (apparently it does wonders but is a biatch to fit)

Possibly because the Blitz unit does come with its own heat shield leaving only the mouth of the pod exposed, If you could run a nice big 5 or 6 inch pipe directly into the mouth from underneath the headlight that would work quite well. Sound nice too !

Possibly because the Blitz unit does come with its own heat shield leaving only the mouth of the pod exposed, If you could run a nice big 5 or 6 inch pipe directly into the mouth from underneath the headlight that would work quite well.  Sound nice too !

I was thinking all these ideas (including the nice sound part.. :D ) but if the power gains are gonna be more or less the same, I think i'll just go with the CAI.

After all, it is away from all the engine heat...

Err .. silly question ... do you still get the benefits of a CAI, without upgrading the exhaust ? ... (would that not become another bottleneck?)

Kijana

-------------------------

basic car | Corolla wink.gif

Err .. silly question ... do you still get the benefits of a CAI, without upgrading the exhaust ? ... (would that not become another bottleneck?)

Kijana

-------------------------

basic car | Corolla wink.gif

Yes you will still see benifit of CAI without upgrading exhaust..... These performance parts compliment each other they DO NOT really on each other...

cheers

Bill

I would've thought an exhaust and CAI would have a synergistic effect?

I have larger piping leading into my airbox and now that I have an exhaust and extractors on the car, I can definitely hear a sucking sound, whereas before the exhaust and extractors, I couldn't hear anything... if noise is anything to go by, I'd say more sucking sound means air is being pulled into the engine faster? equalling more power?

What kijana has said is logical, if the engine isn't expelling air at a greater rate it can't suck in air at a greater rate...

I agree with Bill, you should still see an improvement from the colder denser air, but I'd say not as much without exhaust upgrades...

This would certainly be true for the 1ZZ but the sportivo exhaust has better capabilities then the airbox allows so the CAI noise, feel and effect is still quite noticable.

or if u could recommend a place where i can i get and install it in SA, that'd be even better.

is it true that u need to throw away the trd pod if u want to fit it in the stivo? i search the forum and this is the impression i get. that's why i want to get other brands as i don't want to waste my money on something that i don't need.

thanks for every reply in advance.