My gearbox shifting problems solved????

Hi guys, well for those of you who dont know i bought my sportivo with 67k on the clock. Anyhow soon after i got it i joined the forum and researched the whole crunching in lift issue related to the sportivos and read up on what gearbox oil to use so i got a GB oil change at 70k.

Now i did read through the numerous pages of advice on what brands and grades of oil to use and opted to buy the castrol syntrax 75w90

To my dissapointment the problem wasnt resolved and i still couldnt flat change past 7800rpm or even change past that rev even if i took it easy at all. It did help to some degree but i still wasnt happy. Btw the previous owner had already done the clutch pedal adjustment.

Over time i grew used to it and thought that i had to deal with the issue rather than going through hassles of adjusting it again or changing clutch (as ive heard off a few others hadn't helped the problem either)

Now here comes the good news!

The other day my 100k service came up and i decided to get another GB oil change. this time with the advice of my mechanic mate i decided to change the grade of oil to castrol 75w85 even though i could not see that posted anywhere on the forum. And once again as i was against any form of additives i did end up putting in this nulon product ( will get details on what was used, cant remember at the moment.)

Now im not saying this will solve everyone elses problems but

From having a tight box (esp getting into reverse) and not being able to flat change or shift any higher than 7800rpm over the last few days ive been playing with the car a little bit and seeing if it made any difference.

Well, the box is sooo much smoother to change now with normal driving and i can even hit limiter if i want and flat change to 2nd or 3rd with NO CRUNCHING!!!(cold mornings it still shifts smoothly)

Now like i said, maybe it just helped solve my GB issue, but id say to others to give it a try as well. The box isnt new seeing as the car has done 100k with the factory clutch and had its fair share of crunching trying to get that perfect shift but it has helped me. It still is only early days as ive only had the new oil in for 3-4 days.

So incase i have missed a topic in which this problem was solved i appologize for writing so much, if not hopefully i can help others with the same problem.

Thanks guys!

Cheers mate,

I've tried a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL+MT90 and Royal Purple SynchroMax, both not really doing anything spectacular beyond what feels like a slightly smoother shift on a cold box. But if you could find out exactly what your Nulon 75W85 product is, it'd definitely be worth a look!

I'm still trying to find a place that will follow the Toyota Technical clutch pedal adjustment down to the tee... :rolleyes:

Gav.

The gearbox oil was castrol syntrax 75w85 with a seperate nulon additive added into it when the oil was put in. It wasnt one premix.

Nulon product would have been Nulon G70. Just popped a tube into my gearbox when it was out. Def smoother but I'm still crunching because I don't think my clutch has been adjusted correctly.

The gearbox oil was castrol syntrax 75w85 with a seperate nulon additive added into it when the oil was put in. It wasnt one premix.

Nulon product would have been Nulon G70. Just popped a tube into my gearbox when it was out. Def smoother but I'm still crunching because I don't think my clutch has been adjusted correctly.

Sounds about right.

• 2 weeks later...
How much am i looking at paying for a local GB oil change. I am a noob and dont have time to do it myself.

I ended up paying $100 all up with oil and additive. but i think i got a discount. Just get it done properly and get the same oil.

Hey Mr LFT,

It's been a couple of weeks now. Do you still think this is the cure to crap shift and crunching gears?

Gav.

Took the car for a mad thrash last night....STILL GOING STRONG............i seriously think this that solved my problem. no crunching WHATSOEVER .....i got a shift light in my car but still have the bad habit of shifting before the light comes on thinking that its still gonna crunch, but i force myself to wait for the light which i set to 8k and by the time i shift its just about to hit limiter ( gotta admit sometimes it does). Perfect shifts, it just wants to go in so easy now, feels like a different gearbox

SERIOUSLY GUYS GO GIVE IT A TRY, Like i said, my gearbox in no way was new or perfect and i honestly cant believe how well its been going.

nice.....ive got 75w90 castrol syntrax with nulon G70 at moment in mine, been in there since 45k (now 73) is good and smooth although still crunch occasionally....more so prob due to me not concentrating or concentrating too much and stuffing up the change...

nice.....ive got 75w90 castrol syntrax with nulon G70 at moment in mine, been in there since 45k (now 73) is good and smooth although still crunch occasionally....more so prob due to me not concentrating or concentrating too much and stuffing up the change...

Like i said i used that before and had same results as you, easier gear changes but still crunching, but now went to 75w85 and its even smoother and no crunching no matter how crap i shift.

mine used to crunch from 2nd to 3rd at high rpm, mainly in lift, very embarrassing when u crunch it lol, i carried out a clutch pedal adjustment because the friction point was a tadd lower than the middle, i adjusted it so its around the middle, bit less than half way, and noticed the difference straight away,

no crunch, quick shifts, wheel spins between gears... i havnt changed the transaxle oil since i got the car

not like i do it any more as my licence is hanging in the balance with the courts :(

its 3,500rpm shifts for me and increased fuel economy lol

• 2 months later...

How is this going so far for you? Still good???

Also, another question for the masses.

What's the difference between 75W90 and 75W85 ??? Visocity? Thinner?

Any consequences of using it and so on so forth? Difference?

What's the difference between 75W90 and 75W85 ??? Visocity? Thinner?

Any consequences of using it and so on so forth? Difference?

The 75W90 will behave slightly more viscous than the 75W85 when hot. I wouldn't be too worried about the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

my gear changes does not crunch and is fairly smooth.

but inbetween gear changes it feels like it bogs down then engages next gear, doesnt feel the same as other manual cars when changing high rpm. just doesnt bite straight away if you know what i mean. this is not normal is it?

it is much more noticeable from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd you can still feel it a bit. and the rest of the gear changes are fine. do i need to adjust my clutch? even though i am not crunching at all?

Edited by hAmZ

my gear changes does not crunch and is fairly smooth.

but inbetween gear changes it feels like it bogs down then engages next gear, doesnt feel the same as other manual cars when changing high rpm. just doesnt bite straight away if you know what i mean. this is not normal is it?

it is much more noticeable from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd you can still feel it a bit. and the rest of the gear changes are fine. do i need to adjust my clutch? even though i am not crunching at all?

Slipping clutch?

i dont think the clutch is slipping otherwise my revs would be rising and the car going no where. it's like a half second pause of acceleration when i change gears 1-2, 2-3 (less noticeable), 3-4 (normal)

• 5 weeks later...

Like i said i used that before and had same results as you, easier gear changes but still crunching, but now went to 75w85 and its even smoother and no crunching no matter how crap i shift.

since i fixed my cv's GB oil came out, so i thought may aswell do an oil change on that, went for the 75w85 Nulon, with the G70 addative, im so pleased with it !

i went to supercheap to get the oil, and they didnt sell it in 5L bottles, tho they loooked up the book and said it requires only 2.3L or something like that, so it only came in 1L bottles, at $30 each, ouch ! so pretty much a full bottle left, cause i bought 3, so when i do my HD clutch, i can top it up! woot

once again very pleased with 75w85 :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

ok fellas, quick update again. cars has sorta started to crunch again, and i dont know if its me getting nervous, cause if i shift bymyself it never happens but if someones in the car it does.lol.

But then its only like 1 out of 10 times. Im also thinking that my clutch is starting to go on its way out as i can feel it ride when its gets warm and i also think i need a clutch pedal adjustment again which could be the problem.

Will let you know soon.