VVTI noob question

Armstrong

i was thinking about an aurion for next year, but noticing that the engine has LIFT...now im really pleased to pay more money and move away from looking at a corolla sportivo because of the various problems with them.

My question is: why is the engine say VVTI when you look at the engine? shouldnt it be called VVTI-L if it has lift? :huh:

is there any things people looking for a aurion AT-X or SX6 be look for?

Edited by Armstrong

The things I would do to have lift on the Aurion.

What source told you they had lift?

On a side note, imagine an Aurion with lift. That would be like 250kW at the crank.

My question is: why is the engine say VVTI when you look at the engine?

Actually, when you look at the engine, it says 'Dual VVT-i'. Why? Because it has exactly that.

The things I would do to have lift on the Aurion.

What source told you they had lift?

My question is: why is the engine say VVTI when you look at the engine?

Actually, when you look at the engine, it says 'Dual VVT-i'. Why? Because it has exactly that.

i was guessing that, but then why does redbook state that the cam is "DOHC with VVT & Lift"

HERES WHAT IM SEEING

http://redbook.com.au/used-cars/details.as...id=123D8E4CBC94

Redbook Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy:

Legal Statement

1. Red Book has provided the material contained on this website in good faith. Red Book does not represent or warrant that the material is reliable, accurate or complete, or that the service will be uninterrupted or error-free.

2. You should not rely on the material at this site or any linked site without making your independent assessment of the material. The inclusion of links in this site is not intended as an endorsement or recommendation. Red Book is not responsible for the material on third party sites or the copyright compliance of third party sites.

Redbook Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy:

Legal Statement

1. Red Book has provided the material contained on this website in good faith. Red Book does not represent or warrant that the material is reliable, accurate or complete, or that the service will be uninterrupted or error-free.

2. You should not rely on the material at this site or any linked site without making your independent assessment of the material. The inclusion of links in this site is not intended as an endorsement or recommendation. Red Book is not responsible for the material on third party sites or the copyright compliance of third party sites.

thanks for clearing up that confusion quickly DJKOR ;)

obviously cos u own one and seem to know ur stuff ill take ur advice, thanks

btw any difference between the AT-X and the SX6 besides the interior and sporty body look?

Edited by Armstrong

btw any difference between the AT-X and the SX6 besides the interior and sporty body look?

Well functionally, the only difference is the suspension. The Sportivo's have stiffer springs and have different shock absorbers to suit. Apart from that, the other differences are pretty much cosmetic. Seats, steering wheel, dash cluster, 6 stacker stereo, external styling, etc.

Unless they had the TRD driveline in every model of the Aurion that can cope with so much power, having lift in an already well-refined and powerful engine would be quite unmanageable I would imagine. I'd rather see AWD in a new model than higher engine output.

Unless they had the TRD driveline in every model of the Aurion that can cope with so much power, having lift in an already well-refined and powerful engine would be quite unmanageable I would imagine. I'd rather see AWD in a new model than higher engine output.

Kind of difficult to manage, but would be hell fun! I'm a bit on the crazy side though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine#2GR-FE

This wiki entry says "This version features Toyota's Dual VVT-i, variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing

This wiki entry says "VVT allows the lift"

Maybe I am reading it wrong (uneducated) or Wikipedia has it wrong.

p.s. Ive had a few people under my Aurion out of curiosity and they all say "Why didnt they make these AWD? Toyota could have done it easy"

Stopped a few words short:

VVT allows the lift, duration or timing (
some or all
)

The VVT-i being 'some' and the VVTi-L being 'all'.

p.s. Ive had a few people under my Aurion out of curiosity and they all say "Why didnt they make these AWD? Toyota could have done it easy"

It may have been easy, but for them they figured the main market for these cars wouldn't be those wanting AWD so for cost efficiency, they chose FWD.

It may have been easy, but for them they figured the main market for these cars wouldn't be those wanting AWD so for cost efficiency, they chose FWD.

Plus weight, fuel consumption, servicing costs, no market etc

For the most part, a family sedan that will mostly be used either in the city or long cruising highway trips, AWD is not needed. If it was a back-road corner carver, or a high-mounted weekend-away offroader, then AWD would be of use. Australia doesn't have the problem with snow that Japan does (which is why almost every Toyota has an AWD version in Japan only), so the extra grip is mostly wasted on non-sporting or offroad cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine#2GR-FE

This wiki entry says "This version features Toyota's Dual VVT-i, variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust cams."

Corrected some stuff in the VVT page there as there was some incorrect terminology and poor grammar used that could cause confusion.

i think Subaru would beg to differ.

Subaru have always prided themselves on being slightly outside the box though. To them, AWD across the entire range is a selling point, hell they often hinge their entire marketing campaign off it, it is that much a part of their image, same with the boxer engine (with Porsche really being the only other company to have done anything good with them in recent times). Although even Subaru is moving away from some of their brand images (mainly frameless windows) in the quest for improved quality, cost and NVH.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Just guessing: I believe 80% of the market don't even know which wheels do the driving in their cars.

I agree with both of Hiro's posts. The Aussie market cant really be compared to Asian or Euro markets and a Subaru/Toyota comparison is chalk and cheese (although they both sport the motor longevity and built quality reputation)

With a big front wheel drive with lots of power the line is slow in fast out. If you try to brake late and push into a corner with the Aurion you will very quickly run out of talent unless your on a track i dont reccomend pushng into a corner with FWD of any sort, unless you like to make friends with gutters, poles, oncoming traffic, trees etc. Try to keep it neutral and power out its where the power getting down hard at the front wheels really shows its merits.

Just my opinion feel free to rip me to bits now guys.

how often do family cars get push through a corner anyway?

if you are not accelerating substantially in the middle of a corner, is there useful difference between FWD, RWD, and AWD?

i for one want a family car ( in time) that handles great, that way once kids and wife dropped off at shops i can go for a good fang.

nice vid below shows a few comparison vehicles.

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

PS.....GOT ENGAGED ON THE WEEKEND just to hijack thread a little lol