Rough Rough Idles

Hi guys,

My family have been dominate Toyota drivers since we’ve been to Australia:

Our first family car was: 89’ Toyota Camry SV21 Executive

Our 2nd family car was: 96’ Toyota Camry SXV10 CSI

My sister’s car was: 89’ Toyota Camry SV21 Executive (hand me down car from above)

My sister’s 2nd car was: 02’ Toyota Corolla Ascent

My first car was: 89’ Toyota Camry SV21 Executive (hand me down car from above)

My 2nd car is: 02’ Toyota Camry SXV20R CSI Advantage

I didn’t really need to type all that out to illustrate my point lol, but i thought it would be handy har har.

Reoccurring Issue from 20years of Toyota driving:

ROUGH IDLE when engaged in Drive gear when car ages or is above 100,000kms

I have read this thread post sometime ago:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...&pid=156255

But thought i’d re-share this, rough idle is always consistent with all models of Toyota pre 2004. I don’t know post 2004 cars as i don’t know anyone that has travelled beyond 100,000kms.

What do i mean by rough idle when stationary in Drive gear?

• Dashboard shakes and vibrates

• A low humming sound is apparent – the older the car gets, the deep and louder it gets

• Steering wheel shakes and vibrates

• The auto gear knob & seats tend to go with the flow of vibratoring

Question is, why? Does it happen on all other FF drive cars?

Particularly in my situation, I purchased my SXV20R when it was 55,000kms – it ran like air. It was purring with goodness, all the way up to 98,000kms. ONLY just RECENTLY within the last 2 weeks has the rough idle been apparent, thus reminding me of my old SV21.

Because of this, it has really prompted me to ask the question, ‘If it just started to idle roughly like every other Toyota that is aging, something must be the cause of this evil, and can be replaced.’

I’ve asked a mechanic, my old man, and they give you the same generic answer – ‘it’s ageing, what do you expect?’ I fail to believe just because a car is ageing, doesn’t mean it cant idle smoothly.

Searching the internet has given me responses about changing electrical wiring, spark plugs, change transmission fluid, engine mounting (a common expensive one that rarely solves the issue) blah blah blah, all have been assumptions but no hard evidence to the cause of this annoying Toyota symptom.

Does anyone got any, any, answer? I shall bow down and serve you if you do.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

ISCV seconded....As it happens, I cleaned one on a 5s this morning. Made a huge improvement. Go buy a can of throttle body and carby cleaner, take your air box off at the throttle body. You'll see an odd shaped hole just before the throttle butterfly. Spray the cleaner in the hole, then turn your ignition on (dont start it ) and spray it again. Put you air box back on and start it. It'll take a bit of cranking as the cleaner doesnt combust as well as air and fuel. You should definately notice a difference.

~Josh

ISCV seconded....As it happens, I cleaned one on a 5s this morning. Made a huge improvement. Go buy a can of throttle body and carby cleaner, take your air box off at the throttle body. You'll see an odd shaped hole just before the throttle butterfly. Spray the cleaner in the hole, then turn your ignition on (dont start it ) and spray it again. Put you air box back on and start it. It'll take a bit of cranking as the cleaner doesnt combust as well as air and fuel. You should definately notice a difference.

~Josh

Yep, I noticed that as well when I was driving my mum's car (2001 rolla >120,000kms). It shakes while idling, but it didn't seem to worry me.