09 Levin ZR, Auto or manual?

Hey'all. First post for me here. I would just like to say what a great site and everyone seems so nice and helpful here.

Anyway, Im just finalizing my order for my ZR. Thing is I thought i wanted an auto. Now im thinking manual. Ive searched to see if there were any similar threads but i couldnt find any that dealt with the new series gear. Ive just read the post regarding thr 6 speed and everyone seems pretty happy with it so far..

Ive hired plenty of previous model corollas, not the lastest tho. All have been auto and they drove quite well. However, Im used to manuals, previous owner of a '91 twin turb (1jz)cressida and now a '98 318iS Euro M spec. Granted the power wont be there in a ZR, but i just wanted to gather some thoughts on the new auto vs the 6 speed manual.

Whats your thoughts? PS, ive only got a few days to make my decision!!

Thanks everyone,

D

Edited by dutchie101

Thanks for the input peeps,

I just took the auto for 1/2 hour drive and then took the manual for a good 1/2 hour drive up our famous Gorge Rd. Mountain climb stylie. The manual was great fun, so ive changed my order and save 2k off the price! Need to eliminate that body roll and do the strut braces straight away but apart from that it felt great.

Thanks again

B)

Edited by dutchie101

Very wise choice. Trust me, if you got the auto, later down the line you'd probably regret that decision.

Every day I drive, I keep wishing I had a manual.

Just got a call from Toyota customer service this arvo. Im a bit ******. Seems no more ZR current shape manuals are being made nor any in the country. Scheduled production will be January '10. Ive asked them to track me down any fully optioned ZR here in Aust, cause i really dont like the new front or rear bars. Bugger bugger bugger, the new shape is just crap. Hope they find me a fully optioned ZR or i might pull the pin on it.

Arrrghhhh.

but you lose the smart keyless entry and auto headlight/wiper and different dash board.

Yeah thats what you miss out on but with cruise pack you get cruise,leather wheel with built in audio and the enhanced safety pack is all that plus

VSC/TRC ,all the airbags and optitron dash..

So basically it could be a ZR minus keyless,HID and auto wipers.. Popular though, ive seen heaps and 7 of them last week on test drives..

but you lose the smart keyless entry and auto headlight/wiper and different dash board.

Yeah thats what you miss out on but with cruise pack you get cruise,leather wheel with built in audio and the enhanced safety pack is all that plus

VSC/TRC ,all the airbags and optitron dash..

So basically it could be a ZR minus keyless,HID and auto wipers.. Popular though, ive seen heaps and 7 of them last week on test drives..

You also lose climate control, electro chromatic rear mirror, upgraded cloth, and ZR alloys. Oh and the ZR badge. Headlight washers I'm not sure about...

I looked into an edge when they first came out 2 or 3 months ago. I could get both the safety and cruise pack in a black manual only. There is only a couple on carsales that have one or the other but not both. A dealer might say different but I think you are too late.

I'm waiting til I see the facelift in the metal and may wait til January for a ZR. Time will tell.

Edited by Hawk

Sorry to hear about the prod cut off before the new model...I've had an auto for a couple of months now and it's great.

I've driven the manual as well but I'm so over having to change gears with a clutch, it's so 20th century and if you hit traffic it's even worse.

The auto box does the job, the shift on it is great when shifting down into third and second when you need to take a fast corner.

One more thing, if they do locate a model in oz that you're happy with see if you can get one with roof, the moon roof is great.

Well i MAY, may have tracked down the last sterling silver Zr with a moon roof in Oz. After getting screwed around a fair bit by my dealer, i found one myself thru another dealer. I went back to the original dealer where i placed my order and demanded they get that car or i would cancel my contract with them. Negotiations are ongoing and hopefully ill know by tomorrow if they scored it for me. Fingers crossed. Its been a tense last few days for me to say the least!!

Ill keep you posted :)

From the brochure:

Levin ZR features in Addition to Levin SX

Exterior:

-Rain sensing wipers

-Auto headlamps

-HID Headlamps

Interior:

-Climate controlled air condish

-Optitron combimeter

-Electro-chromatic interior mirror

-Smart entry and Start System

(Tatami Dark grey interior trim-different softer material)

Safety:

-Dual front side airbags, dual full length curtain shield airbags and drivers knee airbag

-Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRC)

Options available on Levin ZR:

-Moonroof

-Mica/Metalic paint

From the brochure:

Levin ZR features in Addition to Levin SX

Exterior:

-Rain sensing wipers

-Auto headlamps

-HID Headlamps

Interior:

-Climate controlled air condish

-Optitron combimeter

-Electro-chromatic interior mirror

-Smart entry and Start System

(Tatami Dark grey interior trim-different softer material)

Safety:

-Dual front side airbags, dual full length curtain shield airbags and drivers knee airbag

-Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRC)

Options available on Levin ZR:

-Moonroof

-Mica/Metalic paint

then What's the main difference between Levin SX and Levin ZR? [both Auto- other than the price tag of $2-3K]

Also easily researchable by going to Toyota's website:

http://www.toyota.com.au/corolla/specifications

the website had too much stuff for my parents to cipher..

thanks for the list and links.

much easier =]

I stole / got the last ZR in NSW :P

^^ this is a unconfirmed fact.

Good luck with the find, when I was looking for mine, one sales mans told mehe could get one from NRTH QLD wildfire with a roof, but i'd have to pay the delivery costs....WANYE KERR!

Good luck :)

6spd manual. Dont even bother with auto. Quote my dealer when i asked for 6spd-manual ZR "Are you sure? You sure you want 6spd? Its a lot of power?!" I laughed to myself, seriously its a 1.8lt FWD, if i dont get manual.. wats the point.