Stupid wheelie bins

Kia Kaha

I really wish truckies would secure their trucks load before driving on a public road!

I was heading to work this morning and a wheelie bin came off the side of a truck in the left lane and landed in front of me in the right lane.

TRD vs Bin at 110km = Destroyed bin and busted front bumper and a couple of flat spots in my tyres.

I will take some pics and post them up later.

I will also try to keep the bumper when it's replaced and sell online to anyone who wants one to repair.

holy sh!t that sucks the big one, hope you were able to get their details because if your having to pay for it out of your back pocket theres a very good chance you will have heart failure :(

Yeah, guys. I got all his details, he was actually a pretty decent bloke. After I hit the bin a truck behind me hit it too, so he was there getting details too.

My insurance co. say that I could be up for $600 excess (WTF), but I am yet to hear if this will be waived or not.

Car goes in for inspection on Tuesday, I was hoping to salvage the grill but the mesh is a little damaged (bugger).

I will take some pics tomorrow when the sun is out and post them up, then I will cable tie the plastic part under the front bumper so I can drive faster than 80kms without wondering if it's going to come off and hit

another car.

The driver said to get a quote or go thru insurance, I said "mate, it will be cheaper for you if I go thru the insurance co.". I would hate to paying out of my pocket for a new bumper.

The driver said to get a quote or go thru insurance, I said "mate, it will be cheaper for you if I go thru the insurance co.". I would hate to paying out of my pocket for a new bumper.

TRD Kit sitting at around $13,000 RRP unpainted :P

:o :o :o

REALLY?

Hey,

How did you end up with flat spots in your tyres. Your car would have ABS which would prevent a lockup hence preventing a flat spot.

I was under the impression you could only flat spot your tyres if you actually locked up your wheels.

:o :o :o

REALLY?

Hmm.. I don't think so.. I asked for a quote last time... Not that high..

But still, not a figure I'd be willing to pay..

I'm actually surprised that a large wheelie bin at speed did so little damage to the front end, and it all appears to be down low too.

I guess the bin must have exploded upon impact, but I'm still amazed that there wasn't more damage done.

Good luck with the repairs mate.

Edited by michaelweare

I'm actually surprised that a large wheelie bin at speed did so little damage to the front end, and it all appears to be down low too.

I guess the bin must have exploded upon impact, but I'm still amazed that there wasn't more damage done.

Good luck with the repairs mate.

Thanks mate, wait until the bumper come off and then we can see the true extent of the damage.

Goes in this Tuesday for inspection.

I hit a shopping trolley in my old accord euro cause some punk kid thought it'd be funny to push it on the road in front of me.

All that happened was the headlight washer broke off and a few scratches on my bumper. Front bumpers can take a pretty big hit before doing serios damage imo.

Repair bill was $800 though. But that's cause it was a **** Honda.

Hopefully you won't get hit with the excess man. It wasn't your fault so I can't see how they cam charge u the excess. Especially since you have the other guys details.

Well, it looks like they are replacing the grill and the gray/silver part of the bumper, repairing and respraying the red part. So, if I can manage to keep the grill I will see if it can be salvaged at all, I don't think it will be worth while keeping the lower part of the bumper.

@ secaboy.... I doubt they will hit me with the excess. I just had a call from the truck driver wanting to varify some details with me as he is filling out his forms (I wish everyone that caused an accident was as decent as this bloke is, I kinda feel a little sorry for him).

Edited by Kia Kaha

• 2 months later...

Finally got my car fixed, took 3 weeks in total as the repairers had some trouble getting the parts.

All up, I have a new grill, splitter (lower grill), trd mesh and spray.

From what you can see in the pics and some areas resprayed, the panel beaters said the total cost was just over $4000.00

in parts and repairs.

Just glad to have my car back after driving my wifes Astra for 3 weeks.