My Latest Aurion Mods

mkay

Right. I've decided on the K&N Kit based on the fact I don't want to remove the front bumper just to get the filter on. I also believe that I doubt there will be much difference in air flow down there based on the youtube video. It's pretty closed off down there by looking at my own car.

I am also ditching the twin pipe idea for the exhaust but I feel I might be able to work with a similar pipe routing method used already but without the merge point as is.

There is no need to remove your front bumper if you were to fit the CAI. Simply jacking the front of the car up and removing the splash guards give you enough room to work behind the bumper. This is what I did when I fitted my cool air feed (whilst changing my PS fluid) and had no issues with space. Then you can make a cutout on the splash guard underneath where the pod goes and it will get a good feed of air thanks to the way the splash guard there is designed (ie. it scoops the air).

Ignore the dirt and scrapes, but see how it kind of has a scoop to it. I was going to remove my fog light and use that as the scoop, but I just couldn't make myself do it:

dsc05654z.jpg

Right. I've decided on the K&N Kit based on the fact I don't want to remove the front bumper just to get the filter on. I also believe that I doubt there will be much difference in air flow down there based on the youtube video. It's pretty closed off down there by looking at my own car.

I am also ditching the twin pipe idea for the exhaust but I feel I might be able to work with a similar pipe routing method used already but without the merge point as is.

There is no need to remove your front bumper if you were to fit the CAI. Simply jacking the front of the car up and removing the splash guards give you enough room to work behind the bumper. This is what I did when I fitted my cool air feed (whilst changing my PS fluid) and had no issues with space. Then you can make a cutout on the splash guard underneath where the pod goes and it will get a good feed of air thanks to the way the splash guard there is designed (ie. it scoops the air).

Ignore the dirt and scrapes, but see how it kind of has a scoop to it:

dsc05654z.jpg

Hmmm..... I see what you mean. I guess I am skeptical of the way things get with having an pod filter that close to the road. considering i drive on dirt roads from time to time :( I'll see how I go. :)

I hope you are sucessfull with the merge idea,I really wanted to try using the pipes with a better merge, but im happy with the results just need to get some money for the K&N sri, still experimenting with the bits I have.

• 4 weeks later...

muffler update, got a pair of berklee chambered mufflers, only cant get them fitted till thursday, im impatient ! getting a muffler collection in the shed, 2 standard and 2 redback straight through, probably suit someone who hasn't taken out the resonator. will post results thurs night.

well got the mufflers on, PEX TRIPLE FLOW, and while the sound quality is better, still got that bloody drone !!! not as bad but still annoying me a bit, going to slip in a long fluted dog monday to hopefully fix it. also I have got some flexible hose and gone from an SRI to a CAI down in the guard. was looking at the mesh pattern next to the foglights, was thinking to knock centers out for more air. I will resist this cause I will prolly wreck it !

Do you know which K&N filter will fit an 07-8' Aurion? It's the Camery same year model right??

Does anyone know if mkay was getting 158kw after he changed his filter or before?

I'm sitting on 157.8 with a straight 2" pipe where the resonator was, and the two varex's... trying to figure out if it's worth it to pull the front of my car apart just for a filter, especially if it's only going to make a superficial difference...

Sigh... you guys are killing me btw... 2 years, spent no money on mods... started reading forums again yesterday to see what everyones doing with their Aurions... now today I've locked in over $3k ordering parts!!

damn you tocau!

darius: just think of it as karma... you are the reason why i went with the varex... so now its your turn to get screwed by us!!! :lol:

nah, seriously though, im glad i came across your youtube clips... that sold me on the first time i listened to it... the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th times i listened to it, i just became jealous and it made me go and buy it! :lol:

yep, filter is the same as the US camry v6 filter you can find on ebay... that's what i'm running on my aurion...

then there is the k&n SRI available too which a few people have... same deal... us camry v6 on ebay...

DO IT! you wont regret it! :lol:

darius: just think of it as karma... you are the reason why i went with the varex... so now its your turn to get screwed by us!!! :lol:

nah, seriously though, im glad i came across your youtube clips... that sold me on the first time i listened to it... the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th times i listened to it, i just became jealous and it made me go and buy it! :lol:

yep, filter is the same as the US camry v6 filter you can find on ebay... that's what i'm running on my aurion...

then there is the k&n SRI available too which a few people have... same deal... us camry v6 on ebay...

DO IT! you wont regret it! :lol:

LOL Seca... it'll be cheaper for you guys though, most of all your jobs are DIY, I don't even DIY wash my car! =p

So say goodbye to converting my own lights to HID's (which I'm getting done tonight, low beams and fog)

you're using the K&N panel filter right? not the intake or some crap that's going to dirty my hands... haha =p

hahaha... i CBF'd DIY'ing sh!t anymore...

daryl (djkor) has been very nice and done a fair bit of work for me!

exhaust was done at a shop...

washing!? FUQ THAT!! :lol: i get someone else to wash/wax/polish my car for me... :lol:

so suck it up b!tch... its all about karma... :P hahahaha kidding...

yeah, i've just got the panel filter in... it was a cnut of a job though!!! only because i was too lazy to undo the pipe coming off the air box to the throttle body... so its a real pain in the ***** to get the filter in and sitting properly... :lol:

my laziness screwed me again on that one! :lol:

but in saying that, installing the K&N SRI would not be any harder than doing the panel filter... it may take a bit longer, but definitely not harder...

and if the K&N SRI would fit my car, i'd have bought it a LONG time ago...

but unfortunately for me (and all other TRD owners), the kit doesnt work for us cause the throttle body is facing on an angle... :(

Yeh... All started from DARIUS with the Varex for d exhaust, and AUR30N for the kits and stuff.. And DJKOR for lots of DIY stuff. My hands are itchin now not doing anythin. I thought I was gonna stop with the wheels.. Look where I am now..

Btw, $3k parts worth? What did u order..?

Yeh... All started from DARIUS with the Varex for d exhaust, and AUR30N for the kits and stuff.. And DJKOR for lots of DIY stuff. My hands are itchin now not doing anythin. I thought I was gonna stop with the wheels.. Look where I am now..

Set of Wheels, HID's, Sports Grill, K&N Filter... so probably more than $3k all got dumped on the credit card... havn't calculated how much it'll all cost yet. :S

Yeah, I can't believe how many people have the Varex now... and to think that all my friends thought it was a rediculous idea when I was first considering getting it done!

But hey... They've all been pulled over and defected at least once for their normal cannons... I've never been done "touch wood"

[edit] actually, before I go buy panel filter, does the K&N SRI come with a kit for our Aurion/Camery V6?? If so, is it pretty much plug and play? Ie. Will I need extra hosing or can I use existing, will the sensors have a problem etc etc...

thanks!

Ps Seca. Maybe I would move up north with you guys so DJKOR can work on my car too! =p

Edited by Darius

Set of Wheels, HID's, Sports Grill, K&N Filter... so probably more than $3k all got dumped on the credit card... havn't calculated how much it'll all cost yet. :S

Yeah, I can't believe how many people have the Varex now... and to think that all my friends thought it was a rediculous idea when I was first considering getting it done!

But hey... They've all been pulled over and defected at least once for their normal cannons... I've never been done "touch wood"

[edit] actually, before I go buy panel filter, does the K&N SRI come with a kit for our Aurion/Camery V6?? If so, is it pretty much plug and play? Ie. Will I need extra hosing or can I use existing, will the sensors have a problem etc etc...

thanks!

Ps Seca. Maybe I would move up north with you guys so DJKOR can work on my car too! =p

LoL.. Only now U bought ur wheels? Usually people go Exhaust after wheels.. Well, ur not the only one.. Haha..

What wheels u gettin? Wheels alone would be the most expensive ones, the others are alrite. So 3k's about rite..

Here's the link for the SRI u'r wondering about

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...filter&st=0

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...16789&st=50

thanks!

The kit is completely plug and play (information page here). You will get your hands slightly dirty, but any guy should enjoy that. All bits and pieces come with it and it would have to have no issues with the sensors otherwise they wouldn't be selling it. If you want to see their installation guide for it, look here:

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/69-8611_inst.pdf

Also be prepared to add another AUD$360 to your credit card on top of the $3k you have charged already :P

Your choice mate :lol:

thanks!

The kit is completely plug and play (information page here). You will get your hands slightly dirty, but any guy should enjoy that. All bits and pieces come with it and it would have to have no issues with the sensors otherwise they wouldn't be selling it. If you want to see their installation guide for it, look here:

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/69-8611_inst.pdf

Also be prepared to add another AUD$360 to your credit card on top of the $3k you have charged already :P

Your choice mate :lol:

Hey that looks pretty damn easy!! Maybe I'll try do something myself for once!! If it stuffs up I'll just fly my car up to you DJK! Or I'll fly you down! =p

Finally a sound Im happy with, a sporty note where its needed and a nice purr down low, not the ear ringing drone there was. so it the end I have the "Y" pipe mod (minus the rear pipe cat) flex, main cat, small resonator, a 15 inch perforated hot dog down to the triple flow mufflers.

Finally a sound Im happy with, a sporty note where its needed and a nice purr down low, not the ear ringing drone there was. so it the end I have the "Y" pipe mod (minus the rear pipe cat) flex, main cat, small resonator, a 15 inch perforated hot dog down to the triple flow mufflers.

I'm just trying to picture the way thats been made up. I wish you coulda been able to get a photo of underneath to show us exactly how its mapped out. I'd take it to my exhaust guys straight away and go, "DO THIS." :P

I'm just trying to picture the way thats been made up. I wish you coulda been able to get a photo of underneath to show us exactly how its mapped out. I'd take it to my exhaust guys straight away and go, "DO THIS." :P

The idea of having a cat on only one bank and then the main cat after the merge doesn't really sit well with me. Personally, if you were to remove the cat from one bank, you may as well remove the other and get an O2 sensor simulator. Just all personal opinion really.

The idea of having a cat on only one bank and then the main cat after the merge doesn't really sit well with me. Personally, if you were to remove the cat from one bank, you may as well remove the other and get an O2 sensor simulator. Just all personal opinion really.

oh I completely missed that! I guess thats why i got confused when he mentioned two cats in the sentance.

Mmm yeah I'd rather keep all 3 still there.

It would be good to get a simulator,but it was easier (not essentially correct) to remove the cat from the rear bank and put both sensors on the front bank that still had the cat on it. the only niggle ive had with this mod is the buzz from the collector, being made from thinner material than the pipework. if anyone has a suggestion about thicker collectors please let me know.

get a proper fabricated merge collector from 1.6mm wall tubing, not the garbage pressed-cone collectors.

One similar to this:

7bfa6af972.jpg

that is the go, I will look into one of those when I get back from my holiday. thanks

I have noticed that where the tips fit on to mufflers, there is plenty of noise, and thats where a lot of the droning problems happen, sound reverberates into the open areas inside the bumper etc. would double wall tips or as I have seen tips with glass packing sort this out if they were welded on to the very end of the mufflers ?