My Latest Aurion Mods

mkay

You need a real fabricator to make the required merge collector from some straight tube and a donut bend as the radius on off-the-shelf mandrel bends is too large to do neatly. Craig at Extreme can do this, your average exhaust shop will want to use the crappy off-the-shelf pressed collectors.

So no-one is left wondering what is happening here, I have decided to cancel my plans for doing this modification... in the meantime anyways. If I do want to bring it up again, I will be speaking with Craig at Extreme Engineering as per CHA54's recommendation.

This is the way I'm looking at it. Lets say this modification is good for an extra 15HP at the wheels maximum. For the cost that is going to be involved with doing this (I am only going to do it as equal length for the simple fact that Toyota wouldn't have done so in the first place for no reason), I can not justify spending it for that marginal power gain.

I have decided to take a more cost efficient process in the meantime and work on improving the car's power-to-weight ratio... starting with a goal to lose 20kg... of my own weight. Then finding ways to get weight out of my car.

thats a shame daryl... but i completely understand your point of view...

to do it properly, its gonna cost a bit of coin... and its on my list of "one day when i have a spare 1k lying around"... lol

but even then, i want to develop a whole new section, i dont want to cut any of the standard pipes, so there is even more money involved in that... :(

to do it properly, its gonna cost a bit of coin... and its on my list of "one day when i have a spare 1k lying around"... lol

but even then, i want to develop a whole new section, i dont want to cut any of the standard pipes, so there is even more money involved in that... :(

It's more of the point that it's justifying cost over performance. I am quite satisfied with how my car is performing as it is, and until someone with another Aurion decides to challenge that and bump me back, then I will consider doing what it takes to keep myself satisfied. This is an open invitation by the way. Bring your Aurion to the 1/4 mile and let it loose.

On the topic of spending, as you mentioned, it will cost a bit of coin to get the y-pipe sorted out properly and that is where you need to ask yourself, if you are spending such money to fix just that little bit... do you think you may as well go all out and get the full potential and do the extractors as well?

I must say I'm a little bit on the sad side I couldn't get that done as easily as I would have wanted it to be. It isn't entirely power that I was looking for... just this smoother exhaust note people were talking about. As well, a change is a change and I like to make changes every now and again.

... However, I just got a knock at the door and my disappointment has gone away:

dsc05643d.jpg

It's more of the point that it's justifying cost over performance. I am quite satisfied with how my car is performing as it is, and until someone with another Aurion decides to challenge that and bump me back, then I will consider doing what it takes to keep myself satisfied. This is an open invitation by the way. Bring your Aurion to the 1/4 mile and let it loose.

On the topic of spending, as you mentioned, it will cost a bit of coin to get the y-pipe sorted out properly and that is where you need to ask yourself, if you are spending such money to fix just that little bit... do you think you may as well go all out and get the full potential and do the extractors as well?

I must say I'm a little bit on the sad side I couldn't get that done as easily as I would have wanted it to be. It isn't entirely power that I was looking for... just this smoother exhaust note people were talking about. As well, a change is a change and I like to make changes every now and again.

... However, I just got a knock at the door and my disappointment has gone away:

dsc05643d.jpg

It is a shame that you've decided to back off from the exhaust modification but I can totally understand why. I am going to give the guys at A1 a ring either tomorrow or Monday to go in and give them some designs that I've jotted on paper and see what they can do for me.

I did some measurements when I had the car up on the hoist last time to see how my crazy idea would go. But it did involve keeping the pipes at identical length to the way they are now. However the kicker being that there would be no Y-peice at all. I think it can be done but it's going to be tight....and expensive.

Will keep you all posted.

I'll ask Craig for a rough price on what he'd charge for a proper merge modification to those pipes when I'm at this workshop next, I'm doing the engine loom for his latest workshop project car.

I'll ask Craig for a rough price on what he'd charge for a proper merge modification to those pipes when I'm at this workshop next, I'm doing the engine loom for his latest workshop project car.

Thanks mate. I think as well if any car needs this the most, it would be the TRD <points to you Ash and Dave>.

As for this thread, I guess you can now add me to the list:

Okay guys, relax relax... especially you Evan; you should take a Valium (Drew will understand the joke behind that). After all, as Mick said, it is just an intake. Plus I'm not the first one to get it mate.

So fitting it was a piece of cake, nothing out of the ordinary. Everything fit perfectly and was very well constructed. Instructions were detailed, but who needs them :P

Then I took it for a test drive, and covered a good distance. People on the highway were probably wondering WTF I was doing constantly putting my foot down while next to a barrier.

All I can say is the sound is orgasmic. Not like Northy's V8, but it's probably all I can expect with this car. I certainly had a huge smile on my face... much larger than that of a Mazda 3's.

Only 'issue' I have found after all that driving (I'm not sure if it is good or bad), but if there is enough structure around me to reflect some sound from the engine bay back into my car, I can hear this whistling noise. It happens when you are held on a gear and your put your foot down slightly. For example, lets say I'm in 3rd (easier to hear it and replicate it in this gear), and the revs are at 2,500RPM. If I put my foot down a little so it's enough to bring the revs to 3,500RPM, I get a whistling sound similar to a turbo spool while the engine is increasing speed from 2,500 to 3,500RPM after which it then goes away. I'm just concerned that this is a problem with something.

Anyways, a couple of photos.

Before:

dsc05645c.jpg

After:

dsc05646e.jpg

This might be a stupid question, but if all this Y-Pipe stuff is costing so much, why not just run one pipe? Ditch the split all together and pop a fake tip on the other side. It should flow better and be cheaper.

Nice car btw.

This might be a stupid question, but if all this Y-Pipe stuff is costing so much, why not just run one pipe? Ditch the split all together and pop a fake tip on the other side. It should flow better and be cheaper.

You're thinking of the wrong side mate. This y-pipe is where the two banks of the V6 merge together underneath the engine:

dsc02997tq5.jpg

Wow what a pain in the ****. Suppose thats the problem with a transverse V6.

I'm guessing with the cost of everything your just going to be better off getting tuned length headers for a few extra $$.

Damn all these mods going on...

I now want the intake...

I want to design my exhaust system so I can show Daryl that the equal pipe length is possible... (i know this isnt the reason he backed out, but eh :P)

I want to lower the car...

TOO MUCH TO DO! :P

I really need a pay rise haha.

Thanks mate. I think as well if any car needs this the most, it would be the TRD <points to you Ash and Dave>.

As for this thread, I guess you can now add me to the list:

Okay guys, relax relax... especially you Evan; you should take a Valium (Drew will understand the joke behind that). After all, as Mick said, it is just an intake. Plus I'm not the first one to get it mate.

So fitting it was a piece of cake, nothing out of the ordinary. Everything fit perfectly and was very well constructed. Instructions were detailed, but who needs them :P

Then I took it for a test drive, and covered a good distance. People on the highway were probably wondering WTF I was doing constantly putting my foot down while next to a barrier.

All I can say is the sound is orgasmic. Not like Northy's V8, but it's probably all I can expect with this car. I certainly had a huge smile on my face... much larger than that of a Mazda 3's.

Only 'issue' I have found after all that driving (I'm not sure if it is good or bad), but if there is enough structure around me to reflect some sound from the engine bay back into my car, I can hear this whistling noise. It happens when you are held on a gear and your put your foot down slightly. For example, lets say I'm in 3rd (easier to hear it and replicate it in this gear), and the revs are at 2,500RPM. If I put my foot down a little so it's enough to bring the revs to 3,500RPM, I get a whistling sound similar to a turbo spool while the engine is increasing speed from 2,500 to 3,500RPM after which it then goes away. I'm just concerned that this is a problem with something.

Anyways, a couple of photos.

Before:

dsc05645c.jpg

After:

dsc05646e.jpg

great work daryl, where did you get the intake from and how much ? I haven't found one in aus only in the us. on the noise, I get a whiring noise too, it maybe the power steering or airconditioning pump or just noise from the trans that may have been insulated by the airbox, havent't worried about it myself.

great work daryl, where did you get the intake from and how much ? I haven't found one in aus only in the us. on the noise, I get a whiring noise too, it maybe the power steering or airconditioning pump or just noise from the trans that may have been insulated by the airbox, havent't worried about it myself.

Got it from Autocom Performance on eBay for $365 shipped to Aus.

Whirring or whistling? I have both. The whirring was noticeable without the intake and it was kind of similar to a straight-cut gearbox but very light sounding. I just figured it's to do with the gear ratios as I only ever heard it in first and second (ie. the gears are spinning faster). Then I put the intake on and I can hear a whistling sound around 2,500RPM up to 3,500RPM but only when accelerating. It's the type of sound like when a big rig is overtaking you and you can hear the turbo spool.... just faint sounding though.

But from looking at comments in my 'Members rides' thread, it appears it is a 'normal' sound.

yeah thats the noise I get, like staight cut gears, oh well if it sounds a bit like a turbo and is not annoying its all good ? thats a good price thanks for that might have to trawl through bank acc, lol

Edited by scootastaxisx6

Back on the subject of the K&N Intake that Daryl's just bought. I did happen to stumble upon a Youtube Video of a Fujita Cold air Intake system being installed on the Camry/Aurion V6 as seen here.

This is the youtube Video

(It's in spanish or whatever but the video speaks for itself.)

I had a look into it and I guess I wanted your opinions on wether you'd really see much difference between the K&N kit (which is about $340 delivered) or ths Fujita kit which at the time of writing this is about $287 AUD excluding postage costs etc.

This is the Fujita kit that I located on EBAY Motors. Same one used in the Youtube Video.

Since this decision will be complimented with the Exhaust stuff I'm working on, I'd like to make the right choice.

Do I go with the method everyone else is using, or do a Daryl and go crazy? :P (no offence Daryl)

Hey Nathan. I did actually consider getting the Fujita CAI when the time came to order my intake. I think it even worked out to be cheaper. So far the only person on this board I know to have one is Soloman, but I'm not sure what he's up to these days.

I had previously seen a YouTube video of someone revving their engine with the Fujita kit on it and it did sound nice and deep with no load. I would be guessing the extra length of pipe on it would contribute to having a nice note.

I think in the end, I stuck with the K&N intake because it's just a well known brand that I trust. I'm not too sure of the origins of Fujita so I guess that's what steered me away.

I guess it comes down to what you really feel like having on your car.

So a few days later hows the K&N system going? added any oomph or just a smoother sound?

After a few hundred or so kilometers of driving with the intake, all I can say is the sound hasn't gotten old yet. The note has remained the same so there is no changes in that due to ECU adjustments.

As for power, just as expected... there is no change in the overall feel. I will be taking it to the 1/4 mile this coming Saturday though to make sure that I have not lost any power. I'm not expecting to get any improvements in my time.

The video does no justice to the sound of it but here is a video of my car accelerating onto the highway with just the exhaust, then the second video is with the exhaust and intake:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

So Nathan... I see you are lurking here :P

Come on.... you know you want to get the Fujita kit.

Don't tempt me Daryl... I am still unsure on the whole non-common-productness of it all.

Right. I've decided on the K&N Kit based on the fact I don't want to remove the front bumper just to get the filter on. I also believe that I doubt there will be much difference in air flow down there based on the youtube video. It's pretty closed off down there by looking at my own car.

I am also ditching the twin pipe idea for the exhaust but I feel I might be able to work with a similar pipe routing method used already but without the merge point as is.