My Latest Aurion Mods

mkay

the only way to equal them up is add length to the rear pipe and somehow bend it around to meet up with the collector, not sure it will go any better than the mod shown. maybe someone will try the longer pipe and compare.

I've spoken with an exhaust shop or two. It is possible to maintain the length using an appropriate bend and then merging it neatly. The bend shouldn't cause any restrictions so they say. I never inquired about the advantages etc though which was stupid of me. Like I said, I will wait for the dyno results and if the improvement does not seem significant (relatively since it is a dyno test after all), I will choose the equal length option.

the more I look at pics, I wonder if the crush section be cutout from just after the o2 sensor on the rear bank and just before the crush point on the front bank, put in the new merge to collector, therefore the best of both worlds more equal lenth pipes and no need to relocate the o2 sensors.

the more I look at pics, I wonder if the crush section be cutout from just after the o2 sensor on the rear bank and just before the crush point on the front bank, put in the new merge to collector, therefore the best of both worlds more equal lenth pipes and no need to relocate the o2 sensors.

Now you're a thinker. Actually, this is what SupaTouring (David) was thinking would be a good idea (discussed with him a couple of weeks back)... and he has some good advice and suggestions.

Main thinking behind this is because the bends in the pipe look quite good as they are and the crush is probably the point of restriction.

Now you're a thinker. Actually, this is what SupaTouring (David) was thinking would be a good idea (discussed with him a couple of weeks back)... and he has some good advice and suggestions.

Main thinking behind this is because the bends in the pipe look quite good as they are and the crush is probably the point of restriction.

on closer inspection of those crush sections they are also "dimpled" on the inside too, so when I go ahead I will ge pics of how narrow they are. be like a bypass op for the aurion.

• 2 weeks later...
where is the best place to get K&N short ram ? saw it in "autoanything" for $292. is there a better price or better site to look at ?

You can find them on eBay for around USD$250 plus around USD$80 for shipping. If you can get shipping cheaper than USD$40 from Autoanything, than that would be a good price.

add says free shipping, doesn't say if price in aud or usd,might look around.

I got mine for $380 Australian delivered on e-bay. $100 of that was for shipping but I recieved it from the states in less than one week. You just have to compare totals as some plces sell cheaper but charge more for shipping.

I haven't forgoten about posting the videos and will try and do so next week when I get some time off work.

mkay any video yet? and hows it all going,any dramas?

booked in friday for crush pipe mod. after some discusion with mech I am going with the same method as "mckay" will post results saturday (got to work friday night ):

got the mod done today OMG what a difference in sound, it now has the deep earthy rumble I was after, not the hum it had. haven't had much of a chance for some spirited runs yet, but it has more "bottom end" around town. got the mech to cut cross section of the crush just to show how much restriction there is as stock.

it looks small in that shot, are you posting some pics of your mod?

if you look at mckay's pics at the start, its the same setup, the only thing I was not sure about was removing the rear manifold cat, but we did anyway. the front manifold still has the cat in place.

booked in friday for crush pipe mod. after some discusion with mech I am going with the same method as "mckay" will post results saturday (got to work friday night ):

got the mod done today OMG what a difference in sound, it now has the deep earthy rumble I was after, not the hum it had. haven't had much of a chance for some spirited runs yet, but it has more "bottom end" around town. got the mech to cut cross section of the crush just to show how much restriction there is as stock.

well done scoota! glad it worked out. did you move the o2 sensor like what mkay did?

[attachmen

t=11934:sx6_mods_028.jpg]to answer cranky and chicken, yes I have the original cat still on the front bank and the main cat in line. and yes the 02 sensor is just after the first one, same as mckay's, fortunately no errors showed up. so far I can do pics off phone but haven't worked out video. can play with cars but not computers. lol just to let you all know this mod cost $270 inc g.s.t.

Edited by scootastaxisx6

Just an update on the "Y" pipe mod. took it out for some flying runs yesterday, both in auto and "S" mode and there is a noticable difference in performance and the note is great. its not overly loud but comforable sweet burble, its at its loudest cruising 60 to 80 km/h in top, very low rumble not a drone like before. now someone says extractors, wish I hadn't seen that. still cant wait to add K&N SRI still waiting for some other quotes.

Edited by scootastaxisx6

Damn.... I just couldn't resist. I went in today to enquire and now I have booked my car to get the y-pipe re-done on Thursday. May end up being the same as what's done here due to space restrictions holding back the equal length idea.

And to settle the score and see if it has gains, losses, or remains the same... a Test 'n' Tune is coming up at the end of the month.

Damn.... I just couldn't resist. I went in today to enquire and now I have booked my car to get the y-pipe re-done on Thursday. May end up being the same as what's done here due to space restrictions holding back the equal length idea.

And to settle the score and see if it has gains, losses, or remains the same... a Test 'n' Tune is coming up at the end of the month.

i might wait to see if it does any difference besides eliminating drone. Then I'll get mine done. :) the eliminating drone is good enough reason for me though.

:lol: daryl, i wouldnt take no for an answer on the whole equal length thing...

remember they told us 'no way the varex will fit'... and both of us have proved them wrong... :lol:

Good point. I'm trying to measure it all up (waiting for the car to cool first) because it does seem like it's going to be an issue if I plan to keep the 3rd cat there. It seems hard enough to keep the exhaust flex there as it is. You can see above that scootastaxisx6 seems to have had the flex removed.

I really want the equal length setup because that damn O2 sensor. I won't settle for it on the same bank. If I can't come to a solution I'm satisfied with, I'm just going to drop the idea.

I really want the equal length setup because that damn O2 sensor. I won't settle for it on the same bank. If I can't come to a solution I'm satisfied with, I'm just going to drop the idea.

What *I* would do, is unplug the o² sensor, and create an extension cable ie. buy a plug, socket and a length of 5 core (or whatever) cable.

What *I* would do, is unplug the o² sensor, and create an extension cable ie. buy a plug, socket and a length of 5 core (or whatever) cable.

That's what I'm thinking of now. Any ideas where to find the connectors (as in in-store)?

take it to Craig at Extreme Engineering, he'll be able to put in a proper merge collector and leave the o2 sensor in the factory spot, whole lot will be TIG'd too instead of MIG welded.

That's what I'm thinking of now. Any ideas where to find the connectors (as in in-store)?

you can buy the o2 plugs from toyota (i made a thread somewhere with a link to the toyota wiring manual) and source the crimps on jaycar

:lol: daryl, i wouldnt take no for an answer on the whole equal length thing...

remember they told us 'no way the varex will fit'... and both of us have proved them wrong... :lol:

Good point. I'm trying to measure it all up (waiting for the car to cool first) because it does seem like it's going to be an issue if I plan to keep the 3rd cat there. It seems hard enough to keep the exhaust flex there as it is. You can see above that scootastaxisx6 seems to have had the flex removed.

as you can see I have the pipes to a collector, then the flex, then the cat. at the moment when you give it some stick it sounds a bit like a porsche 911.

as you can see I have the pipes to a collector, then the flex, then the cat.

Sorry. The first set of photos you posted looks like it's solid right after the merge.

Anyways, I'm still going to stick with my desire to get the pipes formed in a similar shape to the stock ones. I had a look under my car again and noticed there is a bit of room to play with if they have the skill.

Sorry. The first set of photos you posted looks like it's solid right after the merge.

Anyways, I'm still going to stick with my desire to get the pipes formed in a similar shape to the stock ones. I had a look under my car again and noticed there is a bit of room to play with if they have the skill.

my fault taking phone photos under the car, should have done it up on hoist. with the second sensor they just oxyed a hole welded in the adaptor and screwed it in. Its due for a service friday so I will get better pics then. might paint it first, forgot to do that last week.

Hey Daryl, you thinking of going back to see Will at Pipewerx for this or elsewhere?

Hey Daryl, you thinking of going back to see Will at Pipewerx for this or elsewhere?

Despite my dissatisfaction for them refusing to fit my Varex saying that it wouldn't fit, I'm booked in with Pipewerx to give them one more chance at doing their job. The guys I spoke with this time were much friendlier than the last person I dealt with.

If they say they can't do what I request... I will probably put the idea on hold. I'm not the type of person who can be bothered mucking around. It I had the tools... I'd do it myself.