The best of them all!

peregrine

The latest (gen 6) Camry range is the best (largest, excellent handling, most standard equipment, smoothest, feels connected to the road). To drive a gen 5 car is to drive a water-bed. The new car is far superior and handles twisty roads with aplomb. Yes, it is a little tardy, but imagine it with a V6 (hmmm...you would have a Lexus).

Personally, the gen 3 Vienta Grande has been the most opulent simply on account of the genuine timber inserts. No joke, they can still cut it as a prestige car.

The gen 4 was so boring - it is such a dull shape. The only good thing was the V6. That car is snooze-ville.

As for pre-gen 3, you must be kidding. Those are cars nearly a quarter of a century old now.

The biggest letdown of the gen6 is the engine. 2az-fe to power all that mass = not good. Especially with the Sportivo. Standard Gen5 Sportivo (the altise + ateva was different) suspension + chassis setup wasn't to bad at all; but I haven't been in a Gen6 before so I can't comment.

The biggest letdown of the gen6 is the engine. 2az-fe to power all that mass = not good. Especially with the Sportivo.

Yeah, that's the other big letdown. So sorry to disappoint, but I don't think the Gen 6 qualifies to fit into the 'best of them all' category.

Re: changes to gen 4 tail lights. This happened in late 2001. The main change was the Grande model was dropped and Azura replaced it (like a Grande but with less glitzy trim and sports (Touring) suspension. Safety on all models was improved, too.

Re: people being critical of gen 6. Ok, so it's low on power, but so are all previous 4 cylinder Camrys! Furthermore, the Aurion is built on the Camry wheelbase and essentially the same suspension and interior (save for minor differences). The one thing you get in an Aurion that you don't get in Camry is torque-steer.

Re: people being critical of gen 6. Ok, so it's low on power, but so are all previous 4 cylinder Camrys! Furthermore, the Aurion is built on the Camry wheelbase and essentially the same suspension and interior (save for minor differences). The one thing you get in an Aurion that you don't get in Camry is torque-steer.

Just because the Aurion is based off the Gen 6 Camry wheelbase, it doesn't make the Gen 6 Camry less of a boat. The Gen 5 still feels more solid on the road than the Gen 6 Camry or the Aurion... and part of this comes from the fact that the wheelbase is smaller than that of the Gen 6 and Aurion.

As for the torque steer comment... whatever makes you sleep better at night trying to justify why you personally think your Camry is better.

The latest (gen 6) Camry range is the best (largest, excellent handling, most standard equipment, smoothest, feels connected to the road). To drive a gen 5 car is to drive a water-bed. The new car is far superior and handles twisty roads with aplomb. Yes, it is a little tardy, but imagine it with a V6 (hmmm...you would have a Lexus).

Personally, the gen 3 Vienta Grande has been the most opulent simply on account of the genuine timber inserts. No joke, they can still cut it as a prestige car.

The gen 4 was so boring - it is such a dull shape. The only good thing was the V6. That car is snooze-ville.

As for pre-gen 3, you must be kidding. Those are cars nearly a quarter of a century old now.

I can imagine a gen 6 with a v6... actually, wait. I dont have to imagine, its called an aurion.

IMO they are an overweight land barge, and toyota should have put something with at least 150kw in them, not the lump thats in there now.

I quite like the look of them, but hate everything else.

I have to agree with you on that account. I was lucky enough to get a low milage example for a great price a few years back.

At home we have two Gen 3 Vientas (CSI & Grande) and a Gen 5 Camry Grande. Overall, I prefer the handling of the gen 5 but in every other regard prefer the gen 3's. Even my parents prefer driving the old cars over the new camry

Hahah I feel quite offended as a Gen 6 owner :P But I would totally agree with what has been said - though the manual gearbox makes for a MASSIVE improvement. I can finally say that with confidence having been driving an automatic Gen 6 Altise as a loan car whilst mine is getting some minor repair work (stems back to before I bought the car). I have a lot of fun in the Gen 6; I should have made the effort for more time and taken you for a drive Andrew/given you a drive. Plus as has been said it looks totally hot :D I would of course love more power but it suits my needs and it was what I could find in a manual. I'd also say that just the front strut bar has made a great difference in the handling stakes, nowhere near as boat-y.

I did adore the Gen 3 I owned as well, and I would 100% agree with the earlier comments made on build quality and reliability, that thing was unstoppable. And actually quite an attractive car as well compared with others of its generation. I haven't driven a Gen 5 (only been a passenger of a few) so I can't really comment too much on its handling, although I'd probably put its 4 cyl Altise variant on par with the Gen 6 Altise variant.