The best of them all!

peregrine

A recent report that I read, stated the best Camry ever built was the 1998- 2001 Camry. Well as the Camry is an on going model, there is reason to contest that line, drawing on the possibility that models after the date of that report could not have been considered. However as the top of the range Vienta was the last of the Camry bodied Vienta's, this must leave that Vienta as the best of all time! YES YES YES. That's my car and its MAGIC, Silent, Smooth and Stately. WHAT SAY YOU?

Edited by peregrine

I would have to disagree.

Dad owns a Camry Conquest, Brother owned a Camry Touring and Cousin owns a Vienta Grande. I can say with complete confidence the MCV36R (Camry Sportivo) is the best camry ever made :toast:

IF you legitimatley compare:

1: Quality

2: Reliability

3: Fit and Finish

4: Detail

5: Materials used

The Gen 3 (VCV10, SXV10, MCV10) is actually the best. In the US, I can actually pinpoint the EXACT year where Toyota hit the top, 1994. It started downhill after that.

I;m not arguing performance, looks, etc. That is different.

x 3 for the Gen 3.

I've driven a few Gen 3s and driven/been in a couple of Gen 4s.

Needless to say, Gen 3 feels stronger, design looks better inside and out and yeh, slightly biased for owning a Touring Series Gen 3 :P

if i had to own any other camry it would be a gen 4, theres something about the front of the gen 6 that makes me want to punch it, the grill looks like hitler's mustache or sumthn

gen 3 ftw

Edited by outback

G'day just purchased a 2000 model touring Camry for my youngest son after researching cars for under $10,000 and the 1997-2002 Camry models were rated highly by owners on Drive and also motoring writers as in a artical in car sales by Ken Cartwright.

The car is a low milage 1 owner with all service records and is a nice car to drive. He is very happy with the car as he is a good level headed person that understands about insurance costs and wanted a car that would not let him down as well for many years.

A couple of pics of the car.

post-16803-1261655681_thumb.jpgpost-16803-1261655697_thumb.jpgpost-16803-1261655727_thumb.jpg

The Gen 3 (VCV10, SXV10, MCV10) is actually the best. In the US, I can actually pinpoint the EXACT year where Toyota hit the top, 1994. It started downhill after that.

Ho Hum What you say is possibly true of USA but doesn't carry in Aus. For one thing the new all Alloy engine puts it the gen 4, streets ahead and well lets face it style of the newer caradded space etc etc?!!

Edited by peregrine

Ho Hum What you say is possibly true of USA but doesn't carry in Aus. For one thing the new all Alloy engine puts it the gen 4, streets ahead and well lets face it style of the newer caradded space etc etc?!!

I said not factoring in power or style.

The Quailty of the new camry's is ***** poor. And the 2GR engine is well, powerful, but crap. I am at my local dealership DAILY, and hang out with the mechanics. They constantly complain about the 2GR engine in every way, and how the MZ series is better. The design of the GR series engine is not good, and is too complicated.

As for the Gen 4, the quailty and design is not up to that of the Gen 3, but still a lot better then the Gen 5.

G'day just purchased a 2000 model touring Camry for my youngest son after researching cars for under $10,000 and the 1997-2002 Camry models were rated highly by owners on Drive and also motoring writers as in a artical in car sales by Ken Cartwright.

The car is a low milage 1 owner with all service records and is a nice car to drive. He is very happy with the car as he is a good level headed person that understands about insurance costs and wanted a car that would not let him down as well for many years.

A couple of pics of the car.

post-16803-1261655681_thumb.jpgpost-16803-1261655697_thumb.jpgpost-16803-1261655727_thumb.jpg

Must have been an early 2000 model because it has the Gen 4 backend compared to when the Gen 4.5s were made... looks nice though mate.

The Gen 3 Touring Series were called Vientas... I even have my Vienta badge for proof if anyone wants to see :P

Looks like a nice one - I'm also in the market for a similar model though pref in manual V6 which seem to be hard to come by - defn. the common sense approach to a first car (and quicker than the VT Commadore of the same era!) and the reviews are all good (but with the same bland appearance critique).

Must have been an early 2000 model because it has the Gen 4 backend compared to when the Gen 4.5s were made... looks nice though mate.

The Gen 3 Touring Series were called Vientas... I even have my Vienta badge for proof if anyone wants to see :P

While checking out the Gen 4 Camry's on the roads and have noticed the back lights in the rear are different in some of them .

I looked at the build date on the firewall on this one and it's a Feb 2000 build and rego'd in May 2000.

I've given it a oil filter change and used Mobil 1 oil as I've read reports of the Toyota V6 motor sludging up so fully synthetic oil is what is recommended.

I also changed air filter, flushed the coolant and brake fluids but the rear spark plugs looked a challange to remove so left that job looks a bit tricky. Also noticed under the car that both bottom ball joints and steering Rack had been replaced very recently . Also vey dry and clean under there not like a VS commodore I once had.

A family freind has a 1996 Gen 3 CSI which I had for a year while they were overseas and used it to teach the young bloke to drive in. Which won him over to Toyota's Camry's as he prefers to drive the Camry than our BA Ford and having drove the Gen 3 and 4 they are both very quiet cars but I personally think the later car drives better. Feels as nice to drive as my sisters 2009 Aurion but not as responsive in performance.

Hmmm.. looks like Gen 4s WERE built in 2000. Must have been the last of them.

If you look at a Gen 4.5 (facelift model) yes you'll notice the tail lights, headlights... some other stuff as well. I've never owned one, just know a lil bit about them.

I wouldn't bother with the rear plugs, unless you got skinny arms and some nice extension bars.. lol. I can't even get CLOSE to them. Gotta take the intake plenum off to get to them basically.

If someone gave me an Aurion... I'd be one happy lil camper. I went for a spin in my dad's Black ZR6 and it's fantastic. I love the dash cluster as well... looks like you're in the cockpit of a plane hahaha!! The TRD Aurions though are even better again. I've been in one of those (although not driving) and man they haul some ****!

I've owned a 94 gen3 manual and a 2000 gen 4.5 auto.. both 5s-fe.

Gen 4.5 is better because it's newer and as a camry, its better (more features, reliable, stylish).

My gen 3 was more fun on the basis that it was manual.

Also Australia's best camry is a gen 4.5! (anthony's!)

Edited by RoM2nV

• 1 month later...

gen 3's are the best out of all the series as i have owned 2 and at the moment own a early 97 gen 3 vienta that is factory 5 spd and not a touring model go the mighty gen 3 with its nice 3vz-fe even with its probs.

If you look at a Gen 4.5 (facelift model) yes you'll notice the tail lights, headlights... some other stuff as well. I've never owned one, just know a lil bit about them.

There were Gen 4s built in 2000 as the Gen 4.5 was not publicly released until September 2000.

I would hazard a guess production of the 4.5 would have begun late July/early August.

There were Gen 4s built in 2000 as the Gen 4.5 was not publicly released until September 2000.

I would hazard a guess production of the 4.5 would have begun late July/early August.

Yeah... much the same as Gen 3s built in 97, Gen 4s in '02 etc... you'd find that there would be a "Intrigue" model or an "Advantage" model at those times too. Usually to help sell the rest that Toyota had in the factories if I recall correctly. Basically "clearing out the old model to let the new models in".

Yeah... much the same as Gen 3s built in 97, Gen 4s in '02 etc... you'd find that there would be a "Intrigue" model or an "Advantage" model at those times too. Usually to help sell the rest that Toyota had in the factories if I recall correctly. Basically "clearing out the old model to let the new models in".

In reference to the Gen 4, the Intrigue and Advantage models were only released during Gen 4.5. To my knowledge, there was no "runout" of the Gen 4 series one but I am sure some good deals were available at the time, particularly on the Vienta.

The Intrigue was introduced in 2001 with a total of 1500 built (in two batches of 750) to counter falling sales of the four cylinder Camry at the time (Google Camry Intrigue). The Intrigue was walked off the 4 cylinder Camry Conquest and was not a runout model as such.

The Advantage was launched in 2002 as a runout model, walked off the CSi with Touring interior trim.

I can't speak for Gen 3, but I am sure the information on runout models is available through Redbook.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up a old thread but the Camry Tourer I purchased for the young lad that are in the above threads was made a statutory write-off because of hail damage.

What a waste of a great car the car was like new and drove better than my BA which also got written off with the storm. I ended up getting him a EL Fairmont on gas no where as nice a car but lucky I had a agreed value on the Toyota with GIO so received more than what I paid but would never find a low milage 1 owner with sunroof and all service records for the 7 grand mark that I paid for the car.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring up a old thread but the Camry Tourer I purchased for the young lad that are in the above threads was made a statutory write-off because of hail damage.

What a waste of a great car the car was like new and drove better than my BA which also got written off with the storm. I ended up getting him a EL Fairmont on gas no where as nice a car but lucky I had a agreed value on the Toyota with GIO so received more than what I paid but would never find a low milage 1 owner with sunroof and all service records for the 7 grand mark that I paid for the car.

what a shame :( - I still enjoy driving my Gen 4 1999 camry even though it now looks outdated.

The latest (gen 6) Camry range is the best (largest, excellent handling, most standard equipment, smoothest, feels connected to the road). To drive a gen 5 car is to drive a water-bed. The new car is far superior and handles twisty roads with aplomb. Yes, it is a little tardy, but imagine it with a V6 (hmmm...you would have a Lexus).

Personally, the gen 3 Vienta Grande has been the most opulent simply on account of the genuine timber inserts. No joke, they can still cut it as a prestige car.

The gen 4 was so boring - it is such a dull shape. The only good thing was the V6. That car is snooze-ville.

As for pre-gen 3, you must be kidding. Those are cars nearly a quarter of a century old now.

The latest (gen 6) Camry range is the best (largest, excellent handling, most standard equipment, smoothest, feels connected to the road). To drive a gen 5 car is to drive a water-bed. The new car is far superior and handles twisty roads with aplomb. Yes, it is a little tardy, but imagine it with a V6 (hmmm...you would have a Lexus).

Personally, the gen 3 Vienta Grande has been the most opulent simply on account of the genuine timber inserts. No joke, they can still cut it as a prestige car.

The gen 4 was so boring - it is such a dull shape. The only good thing was the V6. That car is snooze-ville.

As for pre-gen 3, you must be kidding. Those are cars nearly a quarter of a century old now.

I would have to disagree with your statements. Personally... using your comparison, I would call the Gen 6 a 'water bed'. In comparison to the Gen 5, the Gen 6 feels like it is less connected with the road and spongy. driving a Gen 6 is like driving a Gen 3 while wearing one of those inflatable sumo costumes.