How much can the stock "basic" head unit push?

TheMirror

Hey all,

Just wondering how much RMS power the stock basic head unit can push out? I look to buy four Pioneer 6 x 9's (those cheap $100 for two ones), and wondering if:

1.) They would give better bass?

2.) Would I need an external amp to run these properly?

Cheers

Edit: Those Pioneers are like 80W RMS I think..

Edited by TheMirror

The power ratings of stock head units aren't usually a published value. Without testing/measuring it, in most cases you will just have to estimate.

I would estimate it to be anywhere between 25 watts and 40 watts RMS per channel.

In my opinion, changing the stock speakers is definitely going to improve your bass... even with those cheaper Pioneer ones. The amount of extra bass you can get out of any aftermarket speakers though depends on how well you can seal the rear of the speaker from the front of the speaker. Usually putting some Dynamat or something like that on the door/parcel shelf would help. It's up to you how far you want to go.

You can certainly run those speakers from the stock head unit, but if you want to run them up to their full potential, an amplifier would be recommended. If you get an amplifier though, I would recommend doing it right the first time and getting better speakers.

As well, just be aware that the depth of the speaker will determine whether you can use them or not. Those cheaper Pioneer ones may be too deep to be used properly in the doors or the parcel shelf. The speaker thread pinned to the top of this forum (for now) has some recommendations and measurements in there.

do you really think the standard headunit would put out anymore than 25w RMS? I'd figure that 25w would be the best case scenario for a factory amplifier, it's on the higher end even with aftermarket headunits.

Based on how lightweight and efficient the factory speakers are, I would guesstimate the factory output to be around 15-20w RMS. Whether the aftermarket 6x9s will give better bass will depend heavily on how they're installed (as mentioned), and how efficient that are compared to the factory speakers.

do you really think the standard headunit would put out anymore than 25w RMS? I'd figure that 25w would be the best case scenario for a factory amplifier, it's on the higher end even with aftermarket headunits.

The cost of basic amplifier components these days is barely anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock head unit can push between 25 and 40 watts just because of the components needed for it. Remembering, even if it did push high figures, it doesn't mean that it's going to be a clean signal.

If I ever get the patience, I will test my stock head unit. Either way, it's not going to be enough to make use of decent aftermarket speakers.

Just a word on the stock head unit.

Tash who owns a Gold Gen6 Camry Sportivo recently installed an amplifier and replaced all 4 of the speakers with 6x9's (front doors and parcel shelf). Now the head unit thats used there is a Fujitsu Ten which is the same HU as the Aurion holds (the non sat-nav version that is.)

Now adding and amplifier and still running it off the head unit she claims is pretty darn good. I'm yet to hear it myself but hopefully will soon! :) Big improvement though, so I'd say go for it.

Just wondering how much RMS power the stock basic head unit can push out?

Based on how lightweight and efficient the factory speakers are, I would guesstimate the factory output to be around 15-20w RMS.

Okay... I took my head unit out of storage for some earlier tests so I will be able to answer this question more accurately.

While I had it out, I decided to pull it apart and have a look at the amplifier that is inside it. The amplifier is an STMicroelectronics TDA7384 4 x 35W Quad Bridge Car Radio Amplifier. As I previously said though, just because this amplifier can push up to about 35W, it doesn't mean this signal is going to be clean.

Just a photo of the amplifier for reference:

dsc05528f.jpg

And just for fun while I was at it... something I had always been curious about the workings of:

<div>Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!</div><object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="

<embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I think you're getting confused between Max values, and RMS values, in regards to output. The 4 x 35w is the max value of that amplifier, same as how aftermarket units claim 4 x 50w are also max values.

Looking through the data sheet, I see the actual realworld output is only around 17w RMS - which makes sense as aftermarket units claiming 4x50w usually put out around 22-25wrms per channel.

It still strikes me as pure advertising BS when companies still advertise Max values when selling their products - you will see that all the companies that sell high end gear to customers who know their stuff, will only quote in RMS values (real world output)

Still thanks for the input and effort, now we know exactly how much you stand to gain even just by installing a basic 4x50wrms amp (cheap as chips these days)

I think you're getting confused between Max values, and RMS values, in regards to output. The 4 x 35w is the max value of that amplifier, same as how aftermarket units claim 4 x 50w are also max values.

Looking through the data sheet, I see the actual realworld output is only around 17w RMS - which makes sense as aftermarket units claiming 4x50w usually put out around 22-25wrms per channel.

I was only specifying the amplifier in it. I didn't actually mention the 35W as being RMS. And yeah, I do know the difference between maximum power and RMS. Just I don't think clearly when I haven't had much sleep.

Thanks for adding that in though. At the time of the morning that I actually pulled it apart and made the post, I wasn't really thinking to add those figures to my post.

And just for fun while I was at it... something I had always been curious about the workings of:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Thanks for this! Been really curious on how the unit works with changing the cds and stuff. :lol:

Great work!

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Thanks for this! Been really curious on how the unit works with changing the cds and stuff. :lol:

Great work!

x2 xD love the videooooo