sound proofing.

SCOOTA44

Ok ive done the Y pipe got a good sound until Im cruising 1500 rpm and below, and the low note gets a little louder, It seems to be reverberating through the wheel arches etc. Is there a soulution to sound proofing?

Exhaust drone can be tackled with the right muffler/resonator combination. Can require a bit of design and or costly trial and error though. Are you rear mufflers round or oval style? Round ones tend to cause more drone than oval, but it's all part of the overall design however.

Yes you can attempt to soundproof starting by laying the entire floorpan etc with some sound absorbing material, but I reckon that for exhaust drone, you may need quite a bit of it which can be costly as well.

Both options can be costly either way and may not guarantee a fix. So I guess it depends where you want to spend your money.

Exhaust drone can be tackled with the right muffler/resonator combination. Can require a bit of design and or costly trial and error though. Are you rear mufflers round or oval style? Round ones tend to cause more drone than oval, but it's all part of the overall design however.

Yes you can attempt to soundproof starting by laying the entire floorpan etc with some sound absorbing material, but I reckon that for exhaust drone, you may need quite a bit of it which can be costly as well.

Both options can be costly either way and may not guarantee a fix. So I guess it depends where you want to spend your money.

Thanks Daryl as usual. currently I have oval redback straight through mufflers, which I had long before the Y pipe mod, while these give a nice note giving it some stick, not too loud, its the low rumble which is louder than I wanted, and it travels through the car. I may have to change mufflers to a semi chambered type like I had on my camry.

If theres room you could try putting one some really small round straight through mufflers, like the one I use as a resonator.

Top one in this pic:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~nfrancis/gotflow.jpg

I cant even imagine what my car would be like without that...

If space is more of an issue, theres those twin entry twin exit style ones...

Edit: sound proofing material is expensive. Cost me $400 to dynamatt my boot!

Edited by Mole

If theres room you could try putting one some really small round straight through mufflers, like the one I use as a resonator.

Top one in this pic:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~nfrancis/gotflow.jpg

I cant even imagine what my car would be like without that...

If space is more of an issue, theres those twin entry twin exit style ones...

Edit: sound proofing material is expensive. Cost me $400 to dynamatt my boot!

definately be cheaper for either the right mufflers or another resonator. thanks for that.

sound proofing to cut down on exhaust noise, especially drones, will be especially difficult as the exhaust is usually of a much lower frequency than most sounds we hear - lower frequency sounds have a tendency to travel through most types of sound barriers we have available for use in a car.

Even expensive stuff like Dynamat will be of limited use for these kind of noises. Your best chance is to tune the exhaust however required to reduce/remove this drone.

If that REALLY isn't possible and you're willing to do alot of work, then I would use a single layer of Dynamat, plus about 10mm of noise absorbing felt under the carpet if you want to have any significant effect... though you'll probably find the Aurion comes from the factory with some degree of undercarpet sound dampening and adding much more will make things harder to refit.

... though you'll probably find the Aurion comes from the factory with some degree of undercarpet sound dampening and adding much more will make things harder to refit.

Not much found underneath the carpet unfortunately/fortunately (lighter, lol). If you were to add a decent later of Dynamat though, you could get away with removing the layer of felt stuck underneath the carpet.

But as said, it can be tricky to try and cut out the drone with such material. Reducing it so that is is a little quieter would be possible I'd say, but for the cost involved, you would be better off with fixing the exhaust.

just on that note, would dynamatting the floors cut out the tyre noise? ive currently got my doors rear shelf and boot lid done with dynamat but have always wondered what effect dynamat on the floors and wheel arch would have....

Ok ive done the Y pipe got a good sound until Im cruising 1500 rpm and below, and the low note gets a little louder, It seems to be reverberating through the wheel arches etc. Is there a soulution to sound proofing?

G'day Scoota,when i worked in spare parts a few years back there was a product called stone guard or stone chip,i think VHT brand,can't really remember exact name,it's a rubberized black spray that you can spray layer upon layer to your wheel arches until you have the desired thickness/deadening affect (basically brush on body deadner in spray form).I do remember it was around $15 a 450g pressure pack,and i didn't go far,from memory it took 2 cans per wheel arch to do it properly.

Sorry i can't recall the exact name,but if it's still available it might be worth a try,especially if you do have noise is coming thru the wheel arches,i'm thinking this would be one of it's many handy uses. :)

G'day Scoota,when i worked in spare parts a few years back there was a product called stone guard or stone chip,i think VHT brand,can't really remember exact name,it's a rubberized black spray that you can spray layer upon layer to your wheel arches until you have the desired thickness/deadening affect (basically brush on body deadner in spray form).I do remember it was around $15 a 450g pressure pack,and i didn't go far,from memory it took 2 cans per wheel arch to do it properly.

Sorry i can't recall the exact name,but if it's still available it might be worth a try,especially if you do have noise is coming thru the wheel arches,i'm thinking this would be one of it's many handy uses. :)

yes I have seen that before, I changed part of air intake ( first stock piece ) this has tamed it a bit. that stuff would be good for tyre noise too. I think theres only one answer now VAREX. closed for working and open for fun. lol

scooter,

If you need some dynamatting, I can get there Extreme Bulk Pack (36ft2) for $225 ext GST no shipping. I'm happy to arrange it if your interested :D

scooter,

If you need some dynamatting, I can get there Extreme Bulk Pack (36ft2) for $225 ext GST no shipping. I'm happy to arrange it if your interested :D

Thanks for the offer, but I will stay with the resonator set up. I am confident that it will fix the problem.