replacing water pump

hey guys, i think my water pump needs to be changed as there is water leaking thru the gasket. It's not leaking thru yet but halfway.

just wondering instead of buying the full pump which costs like 200 from toyota, is there a gasket replacement that i can use? or is the gasket glued on to the water pump?

trying to save a heap of money here...

cant talk model specific, but typically its a separate paper gasket. you certainly can get some decent gasket paper and cut your own. the only issue, is if you pull the waterpump off and find corrosion or excessive shaft play, you dont have a new one to put on.....

With the hassle of getting to the water pump, i would just change it anyway.

yeah i was thinking that too... with that said, changing the timing chain would be recommended too?

man, a job like that u need to take alot of crap off anyways... might as well change stuff that needs to be changed later on anyways

any aftermarket ones is ok? or just go genuine?

When my mate changed mine, (works at bridgestone) he said that he had 3 options, genuine toyota, next step down replica/aftermarket but still decent quality only cheaper and then 3rd was the cheap option.

Sorry i dont know specifically what was what, but i went second option and its been running nearly 20k so far with no issues. cant remember how much it cost total but i think it was less that $200 inc labour.

why would you ever change the timing chain?

sorry when I meant "change" u meant to retighten it or something? Just becuZ it's a timing chain, unfortunately doesn't mean it's maintenence free... I reckon it's good to check it out just in case it needs some

btw cme-lft, what brands did u use? Did u do anything for the chain as well? I think I'm getting a Bosch drive belt for my TiVo

The tension on the chain is controlled automatically by the timing chain tensioner. Just because it isn't maintenance free doesn't mean it needs replacing; measure the links (can't remember off the top of my head the requirements but it is in the manual). Only then if there is an issue should you proceed with doing the chain. I haven't done one but it isn't a small job to remove the timing chain cover. The chain should also last a lot longer than 100k, it isn't a belt.

When I had to change my water pump, I got mine off ebay for $150 delivered and then had to pay like $300ish to get it replaced. So be sure you enquire about labour as well before going ahead especially if you are on a tight budget.

Is coolant dripping off the weep hole? Because mine got blocked after a while but yeah I still changed it as I did not want to take any risk. Also, I think the mechanic also put a screwdriver somewhere to "hear" or "feel" the unsual sound the water pump was making to confirm that it was not right.

Not sure if it's weeping just heard my uncle say on the last service. I think he just saw a bit of flaking of the red toyota coolant and he assumed that. We also saw come flaking on the top radiator hose. Not sure if it's normal. Then there was almost overheating 2 weeks ago when driving my wife to work.

But I dismissed it bcuZ I disconnected the centre console. Few pplZ say ita not though. Confused...

Not sure if it's weeping just heard my uncle say on the last service. I think he just saw a bit of flaking of the red toyota coolant and he assumed that. We also saw come flaking on the top radiator hose. Not sure if it's normal. Then there was almost overheating 2 weeks ago when driving my wife to work.

But I dismissed it bcuZ I disconnected the centre console. Few pplZ say ita not though. Confused...

Mate I dunno how many times some of us have to tell you. The overheating incident has nothing to do with the centre console..

Also if I was to replace my water pump (not needed atm) I would get the MWR pully kit as well, plus new oil pump and circuitworx gears :P

You might wanna look at getting your radiator flushed while you get the new water pump.

far out man! i just wanted to get one thing changed, then u are telling me to change alot more other things? LOL i'm gonna go broke bro........................... >_>

Ever heard of the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

no offence but you seem to create all these fictional problems with your car! I know of a few guys with 2zz's that have gone 200,000km's without replacing a chain, water pump etc.

a bit of coolant is nothing to worry about. as soon as water starts pi$$ing out of the seal then replace. your car probably overheated because you were driving in traffic. 3/4 on the temp guage is nothing to worry about! once it gets to the H mark begin to worry.

truly man you are driving a very reliable car. just relax and enjoy it. dont spend unnecessary money on things that dont need to be fixed.

yeah i'll try to relax a bit more ;) the only thing really worrying me here is the diesel sound from the engine when idle, hopefully changing the oil from 10W40 to penrite 10W50 will eliminate that... gotta wait til another 7000kms though >_>

yeah i'll try to relax a bit more ;) the only thing really worrying me here is the diesel sound from the engine when idle, hopefully changing the oil from 10W40 to penrite 10W50 will eliminate that... gotta wait til another 7000kms though >_>

Hahahahaha! mate all 2ZZ engines have the diesel sound at idle. oil choice will not change it :)

trust me. your car is A OK! :D

Read the oil topic, i think most people with stivos on here opt for 5w30

umm... yeah never really considered 5W30... I always went with what they put in at the beginning... i'll think about it on the next oil change:)