It's going to be a cold winter for me in the Aurion.

Before I forget to ask this I'll post it up now.

In my car, I cannot turn on the heater without the windows fogging up. Every time I want to turn on the heater the windows start fogging up. What can I do about this?

Few nights its been really cold in Melbourne, and I can't even turn on my cars heater because the windows fog up. I think maybe if I leave it long enough the heat might unfog the windows but it just gets worse which then I have to turn on the aircon and then I'm freezing my butt off in the car.

Also, when I swap between heater and aircon, during the first few seconds its a very musty, damp smell... Would this be causing the windows to fog up when turning on the heater?

Ever since I got my car I have not been able to use the heater properly because my windows fog up. I even spent like $50 on a new aircon filter from Toyota few weeks ago.

edit: I should also say I always drive with the car with the arrow inside of it on. So the light is always on.

Edited by unique

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My case, it foggies up the windshield at start, but slowly, it'll fade away. I don't understand why yours never fade away.

I remember there's like a spray to prevent fog on glass. While I searched, I stumbled across this one. You can give it a shot. ;)

http://www.ehow.com/how_10042_make-own-anti.html

Edited by VF-X

The reviews for that make it yourself anti-fog don't speak to highly of it :)

RAINX make an anti-fog solution that comes in either a bottle or as pre-moistened wipes. You can pick it up ant any auto store like Supercheap etc.

Just read the instructions because too much will actually fog up the glass :)

I heard spraying Glen20 might work? I think I'm getting a musty smell because the owner prior was definitely a smoker. It won't kill to try. But I have no clue where to spray it? In the airvents on the dash? Or into the fan after removing the filter where the glovebox is or into the vents under the hood near the front windshield?

And do I the aircon set to fresh or recirc?

Same thing happens to my car too.

I simply keep the heater going, turn the A/C on and the fog disappears.

Sure, it sounds a bit silly, but it works.

be careful with FogX. may not be safe for tinted windows?

Front screen shoud not be tinted,try anti fog from Rainx it works,but read the instructions on how to apply.

we know the physics

both cold or hot air should work provided its high air flow

is mid range temperature and/or low air flow that can cause unexpected results

just try things out when you're parked so its not as scary

also, have you been cleaning the windsceen?

dirty windscreen appears to fogs up easier for me

Edited by tekkyy

As Tofu said, turning on your A/C will actually help. The reason for this is the A/C also acts as a dehumidifier. Sure it will use a little extra power, but at least it removes moisture from the cabin that would otherwise be turned into steam and fog up your windows.

Reason for this is because the glass will be at a cooler temperature due to the outside temperature. Because the heater will heat the moisture up that is in the air (also remembering that you breathe out moisture), the steam in the air will collect on the cooler surface which is the glass.

edit: I should also say I always drive with the car with the arrow inside of it on. So the light is always on.

The amount of difference this will make is not too much when you are running the heater with the A/C off. Reason for this is the air in the car will still contain the same amount of moisture or there abouts regardless.

Just came back from a short drive to woolies, and I had the heater on at 26. Its really cold in Melbourne tonight. The windows fogged up very little, but that was with it set to 26 and my window open just a very little bit.

I'm going to try and clean my from window with amonia and water mixed in a spray bottle. I heard this is good.

By the way, when turning on the heater I accidentally turned on the A/C and did not realise. I only realised after I had that musty smell come again and I turned it off.

you could move to queensland.

No way. I love Melbourne. :P

Today I cleaned my front window about 5 times to get every smudge, dust, hair line smudges etc off the front window. Now need to get it foggy again and see what happens.

Whats the best way to go about using it?

I would personally pop open the glove box (as in fully like you are changing the pollen filter), then remove the pollen filter. With the cover off, turn your A/C onto full (fan and cold) and while it is running, spray this into the front where the pollen filter goes. Do this for several seconds. You should be able to smell it coming out of the A/C vents.

That oust spray leaves a very oily residue,the missus was using it some time ago in the bathroom and it left an oily film over everything it touched,so i made her switch back to Glen20.

That oust spray leaves a very oily residue,the missus was using it some time ago in the bathroom and it left an oily film over everything it touched,so i made her switch back to Glen20.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Are you serious? Damn it!!!!!!! Thats the last thing you would want on your air con fan to have an oily fan. Dust would stick to it like ****! Are you sure that the Glen20 isn't the same?

I only got oust because because it smelt much better then Glen20.

what i do is on cold nights, turn on the aircon and set the unit to the windscreen de-mister, and raise the temp up to about 26-27. this usually clears the fog, and still keeps you warm!! :D

what i do is on cold nights, turn on the aircon and set the unit to the windscreen de-mister, and raise the temp up to about 26-27. this usually clears the fog, and still keeps you warm!! :D

I want to avoid doing this at all costs man. I really don't want to use the extra fuel to run the heater and aircon. Huge waste of money when I just want the heater.$$.

In my car, I cannot turn on the heater without the windows fogging up. Every time I want to turn on the heater the windows start fogging up. What can I do about this?

Few nights its been really cold in Melbourne, and I can't even turn on my cars heater because the windows fog up. I think maybe if I leave it long enough the heat might unfog the windows but it just gets worse which then I have to turn on the aircon and then I'm freezing my butt off in the car.

Also, when I swap between heater and aircon, during the first few seconds its a very musty, damp smell... Would this be causing the windows to fog up when turning on the heater?

Ever since I got my car I have not been able to use the heater properly because my windows fog up. I even spent like $50 on a new aircon filter from Toyota few weeks ago.

are you checking the radiator for water - regularly topping it up because you could have an issue with you heater core leaking

are you checking the radiator for water - regularly topping it up because you could have an issue with you heater core leaking

I regularly check all fluids, parts, hoses, etc at least weekly and everything is on the levels it should be. Nothing suss.

I want to avoid doing this at all costs man. I really don't want to use the extra fuel to run the heater and aircon. Huge waste of money when I just want the heater.$$.

Well you are going to have to make a compromise somewhere. Either run the heater on with your windows down a bit, use the A/C to de-humidify the cabin, or live with the condensation that can build up, even when using anti-fog coatings.

Or you can stop breathing. That's where most of the moisture in the air comes from in a car environment.

Well you are going to have to make a compromise somewhere. Either run the heater on with your windows down a bit, use the A/C to de-humidify the cabin, or live with the condensation that can build up, even when using anti-fog coatings.

Or you can stop breathing. That's where most of the moisture in the air comes from in a car environment.

I think your right. I'm just going to try everything I can to get that moisture out. And you are correct, I should stop breathing :P. It literally does help from fogging up the car. Fogging up the windows is only good when you are parked in an empty parking lot with a girl :lol:

It seems most people’s cars steam up when the air con first turns off as the condensation on the evaporator clears.

If your car uniquely continues to steam up where is the moisture coming from? A few possibilities :- Is the drain for the air con system is blocked? Is there is a leak into the car. Do you ever find the condensation on the inside of the windows before you drive the car in the morning? Do you drive round with the heater on recirc? Have you tested this to see that it is opening to let fresh air in? Or maybe there is an issue with the Aurion and everyone else with an Aurion leaves the aircon on....?