Strange noise before 1st gear change

Auri

Ok.. I tried to listen to it just now when I used my car. The engine wasn't that cold as the revs wasn't that high. I DIDN'T hear it. =(. Or Maybe I missed it... How loud are we talkin about? I've pressed the brake really hard a couple of emergency times, and I noticed the clunk sound that it made. But this thingy, none.. =(

Don't worry. Sometimes I can't even hear mine even if I intentionally try to hear it. I guess it only happens sometimes or when it feels like it. We will never really know unless we speak with the people who made the Aurion, haha.

If something is wrong your ABS light wouldn't turn off.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man... sometimes the most simplest of answers always seems to escape me.

:lol:

Here it is guys, I took ten minutes to find it in the book, then scan it then upload on here: ;)

scan0001nh.jpg

DJKOR: you are a legend.

DJKOR? WHAT THE #$#??! I'm the one that did the scanning of the document and thought of it being the ABS check first and DJK gets the credit? You a-HOLE! :P :lol:

ahahahah

Well it turns out my first post was correct after all!!

Here it is guys, I took ten minutes to find it in the book, then scan it then upload on here: ;)

scan0001nh.jpg

DJKOR? WHAT THE #$#??! I'm the one that did the scanning of the document and thought of it being the ABS check first and DJK gets the credit? You a-HOLE! :P :lol:

ahahahah

Well it turns out my first post was correct after all!!

Haha, you are correct!

DJKOR? WHAT THE #$#??! I'm the one that did the scanning of the document and thought of it being the ABS check first and DJK gets the credit?

Reputation mate.... reputation.

DJKOR? WHAT THE #$#??! I'm the one that did the scanning of the document and thought of it being the ABS check first and DJK gets the credit?

Reputation mate.... reputation.

Aww come on. Credit should be earned when its earned, and I deserved that credit. So did you, but I got nothing! <_<

If only I had the knowledge you had, but unfortunately I'm not that technically minded. But then again, you have owned an Aurion way longer then me.

Edit: I wasn't trying to be mean or anything, just having laugh when I said that, just in case you thought different.

Edited by unique

That's what I thought too.. LoL! :lol: I suppose unique suggested the idea and gave the scan of the book but DJKOR clarify and quoted the same thing..

Credit for the both of u... Hahah.. :lol: We sure don't want to lose any precious source who contributes to the forum do we? ;)

scan0001nh.jpg

ha ha...Thanks alot unique. You are a legend too.

ha ha...Thanks alot unique. You are a legend too.

LOL!! There you go.. Even. Peace has been returned to this thread. :)

Edited by VF-X

• 2 months later...

that make sense. But why is it only making noise when I reverse the car first and drive forward (eg reverse from garage, reverse from car space) not when I select drive straight away after I start the car?

This exact same thing happens to me. Have to reverse first, then forward to get the "clunk". The longer the reverse distance, the louder the "clunk". (seems like this to me anyway... the volume is always different)

If it's ABS self check, why does it only "clunk" when the car start moving forward? Shouldn't I hear the "clunk" even when the car is stationary?

I have been to the service department to check it. But they said they heard nothing.

Edited by imtyr1

that make sense. But why is it only making noise when I reverse the car first and drive forward (eg reverse from garage, reverse from car space) not when I select drive straight away after I start the car?

This exact same thing happens to me. Have to reverse first, then forward to get the "clunk". The longer the reverse distance, the louder the "clunk". (seems like this to me anyway... the volume is always different)

If it's ABS self check, why does it only "clunk" when the car start moving forward? Shouldn't I hear the "clunk" even when the car is stationary?

I have been to the service department to check it. But they said they heard nothing.

It's normal mate. Have you ever been on a plane? If you have, as soon as the plane takes off the landing gear starts coming in and every time it fully folds in you can hear the loud clunk noise as the tyre comes in and the lid closes. Mine sounds exactly like this.

I guess Toyota made it so it does it within the first few seconds of driving forward is because chances are you won't be using your brakes but when reversing you usually have them applied the whole time, but thats totally a wild guess.

Nothing to be afraid of. In fact, if it was not making the noise from time to time you should be afraid because that means something is wrong!

Relax guys. In the scenario/s mentioned here, it is definitely the ABS self check. There's no need to worry that you Aurion is broken or is not operating as it should. The way the self check is performed is all in the way it's programmed to operate.

It is most likely doing the self check when you start the car and go straight into drive without reversing. You probably can't hear it in that scenario due to the way it operates (eg. reversing may have had more application of brakes etc).

I guess Toyota made it so it does it within the first few seconds of driving forward is because chances are you won't be using your brakes but when reversing you usually have them applied the whole time, but thats totally a wild guess.

I would agree with your hypothesis here. I have had the ABS do it's self check while the brakes were applied on numerous occasions, and I'll tell you for a fact that it makes a really strange noise when it does. Chances are, if it did that all the time, more and more people would be complaining that it's a problem when it isn't.

And by the way, the ABS can do it's self check in reverse. I get it a fair few times reversing up my driveway in the morning, hence why I mentioned about the brakes being applied. But if yours does't do it in reverse, it's not something to be concerned about. I drive a bit more aggressively.

• 3 months later...

I've been wondering, why Toyota did not make the ABS check discreet? Why did they have to make it sound like you ran over a kangaroo? lol.

Do all cars with ABS do an ABS check?

It seems a bit cheap for Toyota to do it like they did.

I've been wondering, why Toyota did not make the ABS check discreet? Why did they have to make it sound like you ran over a kangaroo? lol.

How can you say its cheap on Toyotas behalf :blink: .Get behind the wheel of a Commodore and you not only hear the servos doing the check but you can definately feel it through the wheel also. The check in the Aurion is very mild in comparison. :spiteful:

How can you say its cheap on Toyotas behalf :blink: .Get behind the wheel of a Commodore and you not only hear the servos doing the check but you can definately feel it through the wheel also. The check in the Aurion is very mild in comparison. :spiteful:

Okay then, because the Aurion is the only car I've ever been in that does the whole clunk thing checking the ABS.

• 2 months later...

I was just gonna ask you guys about the same clunk noise i get..and the answer was here..im sure i can hear it in the morning and pleased to know its normal..would be worried if i didnt get that noise :)

Fck.. That is a long number plate you got there Vijith. Damn Perth is good.

haha yeah..i think the max number of characters u can have here is 9. I had to put the 1s on both sides of my name because DPI wanted to charge me twice for just my name..i said stuff it and put the 1s on the sides..i like it this way..btw my name is Vijitha. So yeah :)

haha yeah..i think the max number of characters u can have here is 9. I had to put the 1s on both sides of my name because DPI wanted to charge me twice for just my name..i said stuff it and put the 1s on the sides..i like it this way..btw my name is Vijitha. So yeah :)

Hey I remember seeing your car on freeway one time. I think a saturday night a couple of months ago....I think on Mitchell/Kwinana Fwy going south. That was before I bought my new car.

Anyway back to the topic, I noticed the clunk as well when selecting reverse after 20-30 secs from start up. But no clunk when stopping to switch to D on the street. I guess it is the ABS self check!

why would you sticky this topic??

there is a reason why there is a FAQ thread up the top of the forum... it covers this question and more...

if only there was some way of making a noob click a button to say "i have read and understood the FAQ topic" before being able to post a topic in this forum... :lol:

Hey I remember seeing your car on freeway one time. I think a saturday night a couple of months ago....I think on Mitchell/Kwinana Fwy going south. That was before I bought my new car.

Anyway back to the topic, I noticed the clunk as well when selecting reverse after 20-30 secs from start up. But no clunk when stopping to switch to D on the street. I guess it is the ABS self check!

hey you are probably the first person to spot me from the club :)..yup i go down the kwinana fwy south a lot of times as i live in atwell..so you got a 10' touring i see? nice ride mate :)..that clunk is pretty random and sometimes you barely hear it..wouldnt worry about it unless you see the ABS light on the dash :)..