Steve's Aurion ZR6

Steven

In the light they're too dark and the finish isn't up to my standards. Putting the factory ones back in so I can work on these aftemarket ones properly

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay it looks like with a fair bit of sanding and prep work that I can restore these lights back to their original condition (if not better). However I still like the tinting idea, so I've spoken to a local panel shop that has done good work for me in the past and they've suggested a special tinted clear coat that can be applied over tail lights - the results are far more uniform and shiny than you could ever hope to achieve with the nightshade stuff alone.

They've given me a price of $200 for all 4 lights. However if multiple people in the Brisbane area are interested then he'll be happy to lower the price further. As an idea, if 5 people get theirs done it falls to $180 each (cash).

It's going to take me a few days to get my current lights fixed up due to other commitments chewing up my time, so if you are interested let me know. I'll be running this past Northy to make sure it's all on the level before any go ahead so for now it's EOI only.

hmmmmm, do i want to do my falcon lights? :ph34r:

Create a ride thread for it so we can actually see it :D -> although yes, tinting it's tail lights would probably look very mean!

Also, took me all day but got them back to normal.

post-13080-127926032288_thumb.jpg

... yes. I am not keen to repeat it again, however now that I am more learned about some things I'm finding myself thinking again in trying the nightshade :s

Call me bonkers but I've got enough left to try one of the inner lights again. They're not too hard to sand back and polish.

Update - No good, it was definitely the tail lights that were cracked, not the tint. Just put on a light coat of the tint and it actually cracked right in front of me! Tail light is now completely ******.

I'm sending it off to the nightshade suppliers down south - There must be something wrong with the batch I recieved. They reckon they'll compensate me if they find there was something wrong with the nightshade.

After all this trouble I've abandoned the tinting idea. It's cost me far too much time and money and I do not wish to risk this happening again.

Update - No good, it was definitely the tail lights that were cracked, not the tint. Just put on a light coat of the tint and it actually cracked right in front of me! Tail light is now completely ******.

I'm sending it off to the nightshade suppliers down south - There must be something wrong with the batch I recieved. They reckon they'll compensate me if they find there was something wrong with the nightshade.

After all this trouble I've abandoned the tinting idea. It's cost me far too much time and money and I do not wish to risk this happening again.

Ouch. That's certainly the first I've ever heard of that happening.

• 1 month later...

Okay it's been awhile. The car is spending the next few months off the road (those in the know will know why, if you don't then don't ask) so I'm getting a little creative.

First up is that bloody "pinch" in the standard exhaust. Currently trying to correct it the cheap way, pics show progress so far. Hope to get the welding done tomorrow.

post-13080-128356986437_thumb.jpg

post-13080-128356987548_thumb.jpg

I have no qualms if you boys wish to test drive it for me to figure the results.

I will warn you in advance that it's currently unregistered and doesn't actually have any rego plates... but that's just one of those minor details, don't let it stop you.

Welded up the pieces and gave a quick lick of hi-temp paint.

The weld job was quick, messy and ugly - however that's what grinders are for :D

Now just need to install it on the car, and hope their aren't any leaks...

post-13080-128366490575_thumb.jpg

I have no qualms if you boys wish to test drive it for me to figure the results.

I will warn you in advance that it's currently unregistered and doesn't actually have any rego plates... but that's just one of those minor details, don't let it stop you.

minor details

but fuck the revised y pipe looks good.

Finally got some stands, and it's 99% bolted into place. The only thing missing is the bolts from the rear exhaust header flange - They came out with fairly buggered thread, one even snapped. Already fixed it all up but now I need replacement bolts. SOOO tempted to start it up anyway but I know it will throw error codes and not sound as it should anyway.

Hopefully get some on the way home from work tomorrow (probably cost me $9 a bolt or something stupid, damn toyota spares)

Hot damn that makes me feel funny down there. I am somewhat tempted to take a day off to 'borrow' that pipe off you to test it on the TRD to see if I get any errors. Then if it works well, get an exhaust shop to replicate it for me (or even you if you are willing to earn some dough).

Hot damn that makes me feel funny down there. I am somewhat tempted to take a day off to 'borrow' that pipe off you to test it on the TRD to see if I get any errors. Then if it works well, get an exhaust shop to replicate it for me (or even you if you are willing to earn some dough).

If I didn't have to keep my car off the road for a minimum of a week. I would sure as hell give you money to replicate it on my merge pipe :)

Stupid living in Victoria and all.

you have done a really good job with this, work looks great but IMHO this is either going to feel the same or loose power.

the exhaust is merging at nearly 90 degrees to the other one this is going to create tremendous back pressure and turbulance!!

atleast the pinched on is going in the right direction and merging at the flex pipe

good luck tho, hope it works

you have done a really good job with this, work looks great but IMHO this is either going to feel the same or loose power.

the exhaust is merging at nearly 90 degrees to the other one this is going to create tremendous back pressure and turbulance!!

atleast the pinched on is going in the right direction and merging at the flex pipe

good luck tho, hope it works

I can see why you'd think that, but it actually merges close to the same angle as stock. Ive just put a lot more weld and metal at the join because that's how it worked out. When im at my pc tonight I'll do a quick paintshop to show how.

Here I've drawn the true outline in Red, and the rough centre of each pipe (to give an idea of flow) in blue.

As you can see, the join is nearly spot on 45 degrees. Although it's not as sharp as what can be done by creating a whole new Y-piece, I do believe it will none-the-less function better than the unmodified Y-piece and for a cost of some bolts ($11 from Toyota, will pickup on Wednesday morning and install on Thursday) I'm hoping it will be worth the effort.

BTW to any experienced welders, don't slag me off for the huge weld buildup at the join :o

post-13080-128375662848_thumb.jpg

Update

Exhaust is fully bolted up, and aside from the car needing a jump start she runs beautifully. No leaks and no error codes. From the back the exhaust is subtly different, but definitely has a deeper note to it when revved - REALLY wish I could hear it under load now!!!

Update

Exhaust is fully bolted up, and aside from the car needing a jump start she runs beautifully. No leaks and no error codes. From the back the exhaust is subtly different, but definitely has a deeper note to it when revved - REALLY wish I could hear it under load now!!!

You might need to start mass-manufacturing these if it turns out as well as it is under load. :) I know i'll buy one haha.