Steve's Aurion ZR6

Steven

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

****. Woke up this morning and the windscreen has cracked!

Possibly from twisting the cars body by jacking one side up too high. Only explanation I can think of...

Can u get a free replacement from insurance?, i just had mine replaced free from NRMA

• 2 months later...

Haven't got the option for free windscreen, however I'm sure I will opt for that cover before the time comes for a roadworthy and re-registration.

Been a little busy with things in my personal life however I haven't been neglecting the car fully. See below for a teaser shot of my next mod currently underway.

post-13080-0-46898400-1290647478_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

A few things. Changed the color of the new steering wheel controls to blue to match the rest of the dash (no pics, will come later). Also installed my auto-dimming rear vision mirror, looks OEM I reckon.

It's all fun and games with the steering wheel though - twas badly warped so I've had to send it back to the good ol' USA for a replacement. Naturally they refuse to send me the new one until they're recieved the twisted one so I'm still without a wheel. Real shame because the Airbag did arrive the other day, and I've already got to work on it removing the Lexus emblem, grinding away the plastic and adding a patch of vinyl to the center so be the background of the new Toyota emblem when it arrives. Picture shows the Lexus emblem with the "L" removed on the modified airbag to give a bit of an idea of how I've changed it.

post-13080-0-19885200-1291623595_thumb.j

post-13080-0-75758300-1291623603_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Got the replacement steering wheel today and got it semi-installed in the car - just waiting on my replacement Toyota badges for the steering wheel, which sadly is looking rather bland without any shiny emblems.

In reality it looks so standard that, especially now the Lexus badge has been removed, you'd be hard pressed thinking the car didn't come that way standard. Forgive the shoddy pictures, garage was very dark at the time. Once I get everything reinstalled and finished I'll give her a clean and take some proper pics.

post-13080-0-26183800-1292573163_thumb.j

Nice work! I really like that. I'm really impressed with all these little things you've been doing with the Aurion. Makes me wish I could get off my butt and do some haha.

another little mod that didn't work out - some of you may have seen the camry chrome side mirrors on ebay, about $50 a pair and they come with pretty sleek LED indicators too.

Bought a pair with the idea of color coding them to the car, just because I wanted the indicators. Bad news - they look almost EXACTLY the same as the Aurion mirrors in regards to mounting clips etc, however something about the top of the Aurion mirror is just slightly bigger which means the chrome mirrors don't fit. Normally I'd just modify my mirror housing to get it to fit, however the LEDs in the chrome mirror are extremely weak and in my opinion wouldn't pass muster if an insurance claim were ever made.

So let my mistake be a lesson for you all!

I'm not having a good day with deliveries. The steering wheel badge finally arrived, the chrome is very low quality and covered in marks (looks like they chromed over a human hair in one spot!), and it's also too small to use.

Also just heard Toyota don't sell the Steering wheel badge separately from the airbag, going to try to stop in there tomorrow and see if they have any other badges close to the right size.

Stole the badge off the stock airbag and used some CF wrap as a background to install it on the new wheel. In person it actually looks pretty look, it's just typical of how this wrap never shows up well in photos.

Now I need to decide whether to wrap the controls as per the other attached photo. Opinions?

post-13080-0-67692700-1293101109_thumb.j

post-13080-0-73298600-1293101133_thumb.j

I've caved to peer pressure and wrapped the buttons in CF - glad I did too, the standard wheel is very bland and this adds a bit more character to it.

It's finally all bolted in and finished - sorta, the standard IS250 airbag leaves a bit of a gap on each side and this one isn't sitting centered properly, but mostly this is how it now looks.

post-13080-0-18915900-1293159175_thumb.j

mate ......that is just awesome!!!!....does the steering wheel paddle shift work on the aurion?

Yeah you just need to wire it in parallel to the gear lever "sequential" shifter. The result is that I can sequential shift using either the steering paddles or the gear knob now.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some modifying of my headlights. Got a bit ****ty as the passenger side was covered in streaks on the inside when reassembled, turns out it's just because it's the original light where as the drivers side is brand new (from the truck).

Some polish got it a bit better but it will never be as good as the driver's side.

Also disassembled my old sportivo taillights to practice painting there reflectors black as well, only to discover they're black from the factory! It's just the red tinted lenses that make them look like a dark tint. It's very risky though as it involves actually cutting the taillight lens off then gluing it back on -> not too keen after the last fiasco.

With the new look headlights the eyelids don't really seem to match anymore - makes the front end seem too busy, so I'm leaving them off until I decide to paint them body color or just sell them.

post-13080-0-94730100-1294646640_thumb.j