Steve's Aurion ZR6

Steven

Just got my new shift knob in the mail. Perfect fit except now the shaft needs to be shortened. As the gear knob won't get much work in sports-shifting anymore I went for something shorter whilst still avoiding the aftermarket. Those with keen eyes would recognise it being from a Lexus IS model.

Unfortunately my re-threading tool is imperial so I'll need to find a metric one before I can install it.

EDIT

Sorry guys, the internet is acting up and won't let me upload the pics. Pics to come early tomorrow morning.

EDIT EDIT

Pic was up all along dammit

post-13080-45920_thumb.jpg

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the new shifter installed. Feels very nice in the car - the shortened height really makes for a sportier feel.

FYI, in future I will cut the new thread BEFORE cutting the old thread off :|

Forgive the Iphone quality pics and the stupid flash. The first pic gives the best impression of how it looks in the car.

post-13080-0-83962100-1295143705_thumb.j

post-13080-0-24205300-1295143716_thumb.j

Yeah i concur you have some tasty mods there,well done.

i was only thinking a few months back about the height of the shifter and how would it look shorter,and now i know thanks to you. B)

quick question,do think it's possible/easy to modify the OEM Aurion shifter? i snagged one out of a wreck at my last job along with a few other bits & pieces so its just sitting in my office collecting dust. :D

Cheers

Lee

Thanks all for the positive comments.

Yeah i concur you have some tasty mods there,well done.

i was only thinking a few months back about the height of the shifter and how would it look shorter,and now i know thanks to you. B)

quick question,do think it's possible/easy to modify the OEM Aurion shifter? i snagged one out of a wreck at my last job along with a few other bits & pieces so its just sitting in my office collecting dust. :D

Cheers

Lee

As it is stock you can't shorten the factory one much as it will rub about the center console when in sequential mode - you'd need to modify the chrome bit first quite a bit. You could fibreglass a replacement bottom half and paint it or something, it depends on how handy you are really.

• 2 weeks later...

A few mods - finished the footwell lighting and all the roof LEDs, got to the glovebox and decided to carpet the base of it like so many luxo vehicles are - plus it will stop my Ipod from sliding around!

Traction control switch mod is well underway and I hope to have it finished this weekend. HOPE being the key word here.

post-13080-0-36191100-1296217683_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Swaybar was installed the other day. Also even though I SHOULD be getting it back together to go on the road I've started another little project which the hopes to make my interior a bit classier. Pic gives an idea however I havent yet decided what else will be covered.

post-13080-0-49654700-1297576247_thumb.j

Got some better picks, so far I've done the footwell pieces and the lower B Pillar trim pieces in suede as shown in the pics. I really makes the car feel a lot nicer and less cheap inside.

After some pondering the only other bit left that I'd consider covering is the lower portions of the center console as demonstrated in the photo. I can't make my mind up either way, so I'm keen for people's opinions!

post-13080-0-67210800-1297679594_thumb.j

post-13080-0-49011600-1297679610_thumb.j

post-13080-0-33468700-1297679644_thumb.j

that centre part looks difficult to cover but I guess it will match the pillars.

Do the aurions have exposed window frames in the cabin side? Showing the car paint? Covering the frames would be good if it isnt already.

The suede looks excellent Steve :clap: If it were me I would cover the lower portion to really cap it off and make it stand out, and it wouldn't look out of place with the rest of the interior because basically you're sticking to just the "accent" pieces being retrimmed. The colour of the material looks really nice in the photos too, can't wait to check it out in person at the annual meet this year :D

Edited by Tash

Been a bit busy today, doing some work on the front grill and rear badge - also cracked and pulled out the center console to start covering it (pic shows progress so far).

Not sure if I'm happy with it due to the edges been visible towards the back of the console and surrounding the pocket. I used a soldering iron to smooth the joins and seal it to the plastic however to the perfectionist me it still seems a bit sloppy.

post-13080-128045_thumb.jpg

Finally got the ***** of a centre console finished and back in the car. Also replaced the glovebox carpet with suede as the carpet looked and felt cheap. I'm not 100% satisfied with the quality of my work - a few edges etc around the pockets do look a bit second-rate however overall I'm happy enough to leave it as is. Really subtle overall and makes the car feel so much more expensive inside.

Considered doing the back seat pockets however the shape suggests it would need to be done by a pro.

forgive the crappy Iphone pics and messy car.

post-13080-0-71661400-1298433272_thumb.j

post-13080-0-13657400-1298433282_thumb.j

post-13080-0-34393200-1298433291_thumb.j

Got off my **** and finally got the sub box secured - damn I forgot how good sub bass is! Grill is also being fabricated.

Nothing important about the harrier badge except that it belonged to an obscure Toyota/Lexus model and but somehow got it's own custom badge. Being a Toyota it doesn't feel weird having it on my car and it really get's people thinking about what it is.

post-13080-0-14826100-1298527486_thumb.j

wow that centre console makes a big difference!

my uncle has a toyota harrier (basically a lexus RX) in malaysia so seeing that badge in a different car looks odd to me but i guess interesting to people who don't know.

Modified badge - BTW Ingress informs me that there is a standard fit Harrier badge out there somewhere that doesn't require modifying. No luck finding one yet though.

Yes there is. In some azn countries, they put harrier badge instead of the car logo badge. The car model is RX350, but with 2.4L engine. I reckon they're a perfect fit. I can get my hands on genuine but not sure for how much. Why would you go genuine anw when you can get ur hands on something perfectly similar to yours.

Damn the Junction Produce. Where's 51DER these days? Still active in brissy meet there?

my badges are genuine, but from the front grill hence the need to modify. Haven't been able to find that RX350 rear one yet.

51DER is semi-active in Brissie, turns up every now and then.