Cold weather dash rattles

wilsact

Hi,

I have a 2007 Kluger KXR AWD. It suffers from the dreaded dash rattles during cold weather. I have heard USA owners on Toyota nation complaining

about this as well. I also remember reading of members here having issues as well. Mine seems to get really bad rattles on both the drivers side

and passanger side of dash, and a very annoying one near the steering column or similar. They mostly go away after driving for a while when the car warms up a

bit. I was wondering (for those off us in cooler winter

climates) is this still an issue in later models, or have Toyota now fixed it?

Thanks

Edited by wilsact

I haven't noticed any dash rattles in our May 2009 built KX-S. And it gets pretty cold in Canberra!

Cheers mate. In Canberra as well:)

Ours has 60,000kms on it now, and they seem alot worse lately, even my wife is complaining about them! (they weren't so

noticeable earlier on in ownership). Canberra winters seem to bring it on badly.

I was reading on the Toyota nation forum that Toyota highlander owners in the US call the winter months rattle

season, and that it is a wide spread problem there.

Hopefully they might have sorted this out on newer ones for when I trade next time. First Toyota I have owned, so sorta had high expectations of overall quality.

Still happy with the Kluger, it's just a pity that small quality things like dash rattles sour the ownership experience a little.

Edited by wilsact

It should be a warranty fix.

Mine is "designated" a creak rather than rattle and for the 4th time is going in this week.

They need it for a few days, so it's obviously not an easy fix and the previous post on here about the origin being up near the windscreen and most of the dash needing to be pulled out rings true.

We will see how we go. If mines not sorted this time, I'm selling it.

My Canberra-based KX-S does not suffer dash rattle with cold or on the bitumen at any time ... but there is an annoying dash rattle when driving on gravel roads. My rattle is somewhere just to the left of the steering column - might mention it at the 40k service next week.

During my recent off-road trip to the Ada tree in regional eastern Victoria, my 08 Kluger KX-S developed dash rattle; mostly noticeable over gravel but comes back from time to time. :(

I reckon it's coming from the passenger side A pillar but the wife seems to think it's more in the middle of the dash.

The 36 month service is due later this year, I'll be sure to mention this problem BEFORE the service with the aim of getting it fixed during the service.

We should all expect better build quality from a car less than 3 years old.

Edited by whofan

Yeah, mine has had a couple as you said whofan........The wife came home today complaining bout dash rattling today in the cold weather :( ,needless to say i'm looking here for similar issues other owners have for answers ;) Really annoys me, as we thought that toyota would be built better than this.

Also notice that flimsy piece of board connected to the console in the drivers foot well rattles as well???? Any one else had this going on?? :huh:

Have a read through http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16358.

I have the same issue with the foot well panel. Mentioned it to the dealer last service who "fixed it", but still a problem. Getting very tired of not having issues fixed during servicing and then having to make another booking to get them fixed.

Yeah, mine has had a couple as you said whofan........The wife came home today complaining bout dash rattling today in the cold weather :( ,needless to say i'm looking here for similar issues other owners have for answers ;) Really annoys me, as we thought that toyota would be built better than this.

Also notice that flimsy piece of board connected to the console in the drivers foot well rattles as well???? Any one else had this going on?? :huh:

No dash rattles or foot-well rattles that I have noticed (touch wood), and I have pulled a fair bit of my Dash out or apart.

But I have only just clicked over 10K on the odometer - so maybe it is not related to year made but kilometres travelled.

I picked up my new Kluger 2 weeks ago. It has done 900klms and I have a dash rattle on the driver’s side. I will be telling the Toyota people when it goes in for its complimentary inspection.

Just took my car for a drive as the wife has been telling me bout dash rattle :blink:

Sadly i'm really baffled where it is coming from around the steering wheel,but sounds like a tinny sound,tried to self diagnose the problem,but got really ****ed off :(

Going into the dealer next week for a look. Hope can find something :help:

My Wife called into the dealer today bout dach rattle..They where very good and gave her another courtesy car to use while they tried to find this mystery rattle?

Well the Dealer rang around two hours later with some good news....Turns out our three year old had left a toy in the car and it rolled under the drivers seat and got jammed under there and was rubbing on the seat runner :whistling: My wife was very embarressed bout the whole thing :ph34r:

The dealer got a laugh out of it & i reckon they were glad to find something,instead of pulling the dash apart!!!

Edited by Dowelly2194