Aurion Tyre Pressure

-DAvo

Hey everyone

sorry for what seems to me like a really noobie question, but im just a bit confused here regarding tyre pressures..

now when i got my new rims and tyres, the guys at bridgestone suggested i run 40psi for the size im rolling on (215/55 R17)

then other people are saying to run 35-37psi... some even less!

so my question here is, for those of you running the standard sportivo wheels (215/55 r17) what tyre pressures do you run? as im unsure if i run too low pressures, i will increase tyre wear, run too high and i also risk increasing tyre wear!

i experimented tonight and ran 40psi in the front wheels and 38psi in the rear - down from 41 in both front and rear.

im not sure if it was a placebo effect but the ride certainly felt better (lowered on pedders springs)...

any input will be greatly appretiated..

thanks

dave

Hey everyone

sorry for what seems to me like a really noobie question, but im just a bit confused here regarding tyre pressures..

now when i got my new rims and tyres, the guys at bridgestone suggested i run 40psi for the size im rolling on (215/55 R17)

then other people are saying to run 35-37psi... some even less!

so my question here is, for those of you running the standard sportivo wheels (215/55 r17) what tyre pressures do you run? as im unsure if i run too low pressures, i will increase tyre wear, run too high and i also risk increasing tyre wear!

i experimented tonight and ran 40psi in the front wheels and 38psi in the rear - down from 41 in both front and rear.

im not sure if it was a placebo effect but the ride certainly felt better (lowered on pedders springs)...

any input will be greatly appretiated..

thanks

dave

I don't use the 215/55R17 tyres but i use 215/60R16 and for my tyres i put them at 39psi front and 37psi back. I noticed that putting it any higher would affect the braking power of the car by a lot.

Tire pressures can usually vary depending on the type of tires you have, profile, the weight you are carrying etc. Just because someone is using a particular tire pressure and has the same profile tires as you, does not necessarily mean this is what is recommended for you.

When I was running Adrenalins in both 215/55R17 and 225/55R17, I was recommended by Bridgestone to use 36 and 38 PSI respectively. This seemed to work fairly well for me and the only time I ran higher than that was on the track (40 PSI).

Prior to that, I was using Michelin Energy MXV8's in the 215/55R17 profile and found 34-36 PSI was good for it.

Their recommendation for 40 PSI does seem a little high though. I would try using something like 36-38 PSI and seeing how that feels for you.

Sorry to hihack but its I post this is rather then start a new thread on the same topic.

What PSI should I have my stock toyota 16"? At the moment I'm running 35 front and 34 back.

I'm using 39psi front and 37psi back. You can try 38psi front and 36psi back first and see how it feels.

Sorry to hihack but its I post this is rather then start a new thread on the same topic.

What PSI should I have my stock toyota 16"? At the moment I'm running 35 front and 34 back.

I'm using 39psi front and 37psi back. You can try 38psi front and 36psi back first and see how it feels.

Hmmm, don't you think this is too much? A lot of the time its just me in the car and sometimes it can be a full car and sometimes it can be one to two passengers.

Hmmm, don't you think this is too much? A lot of the time its just me in the car and sometimes it can be a full car and sometimes it can be one to two passengers.

We are running Michelin Energy MXV8's 215/55R17 profile,ever since day one I,ve always maintained the pressure at 38 psi (265kpa )

couldnt be happier with the ride,and the way the tyres are wearing,mind you I rotate the wheels every 7500km,twice per service to even out the wear.

Also run the same pressure in the tyres on our V6 SR dualcab Hilux running 235/6016 on it .Done 45000km now and I rotate them twice per servive every 5000km. Going by the wear on them I feel they will see another 40000km easily. Our local independant tyre dealer reccomended we try that pressure and he said we will not look back

Alright. When I go out tonight I'll stop by the servo to pump 38 at front and 37 at back. I've never gone that high before, let's see how it will be.

Personally, I usually go even pressures all-round for most day to day driving. If anything, I have higher pressures in the rear than the front.

For day to day driving, I always check my tire pressure when warm (after driving for 15-30 minutes or so) and get them all even.

Also, pick up a good digital tire pressure gauge. Don't trust the ones at the servo. I always inflate to a couple of PSI higher than I want then use my digital gauge to adjust it till it's right. I piked up a Sidchrome one from Autobarn for just under $30.

Okay, I'm writing this from my iPhone. I just pumped 38 front and 37 back. When I put the hose in each tyre they were all 30!!!! Now inflated all I can say is **** shamWOW. The car is different. Handling is bloody sharp. Instead of the car getting sucked/bogged into the road over bumps and cracks the car glides over them. The car does not feel like a boat anymore. Everything feels so sharp now.

HUGE difference in turning and way the car glides over cracks etc. Even my take off from lights feel snappier. So proud of the car.

Thanks a billion guys.

Okay, I'm writing this from my iPhone. I just pumped 38 front and 37 back. When I put the hose in each tyre they were all 30!!!! Now inflated all I can say is **** shamWOW. The car is different. Handling is bloody sharp. Instead of the car getting sucked/bogged into the road over bumps and cracks the car glides over them. The car does not feel like a boat anymore. Everything feels so sharp now.

HUGE difference in turning and way the car glides over cracks etc. Even my take off from lights feel snappier. So proud of the car.

Thanks a billion guys.

Enjoy the ride :yahoo: . You will also notice your fuel consumption a bit less as well.

Thanks a billion guys.

Enjoy the ride :yahoo: . You will also notice your fuel consumption a bit less as well.

Thanks man. Yeah for sure my fuel consumption will improve. Can you imagine the car was dragging its self poor thing. The tyre pressure at 30 was too low for a big car like the Aurion. Seriously, the cornering feels so sharp. I'm in love. Before I had to take corners slow and the car would drag its self around corners. Now it stays put like its got sports suspension. It's amazing what a difference 8psi made.

It's also my first time doing 38. I would always do 35F/34B but 38F/37B is amazingly perfect for this car/tyres.

Thanks a billion guys.

Amazing how the correct pressure works :) ...now all you need to do is keep an eye on it and check/maintain your current tyre pressure and all will be sweet,you should even notice some minor change in the way your tyres wear.

i try and check my tyre pressure and other little easy to do things every weekend usually during her weekly wash,only takes a few minutes to check all fluid levels and tyre pressures and i also keep a close eye on how my tyres are wearing and rotate as needed.

Thanks a billion guys.

Amazing how the correct pressure works :) ...now all you need to do is keep an eye on it and check/maintain your current tyre pressure and all will be sweet,you should even notice some minor change in the way your tyres wear.

i try and check my tyre pressure and other little easy to do things every weekend usually during her weekly wash,only takes a few minutes to check all fluid levels and tyre pressures and i also keep a close eye on how my tyres are wearing and rotate as needed.

Big difference. It shows the great potential this car has when modded. It's really got me in the mood to do some!

I'm sure my information in the manual and or door says 30.....is anyone else running the tyres at 30????????????????

I might give 38 ago all though before this car I liked 33. My current rides tyres look a little flat at the front but I thought having standard as purchased wheels n tyres that the powers that be at Toyota know best since this is my first toyota I'd go along for the ride so to speak..........WHAT SHALL I DO?

I'm sure my information in the manual and or door says 30.....is anyone else running the tyres at 30????????????????

I might give 38 ago all though before this car I liked 33. My current rides tyres look a little flat at the front but I thought having standard as purchased wheels n tyres that the powers that be at Toyota know best since this is my first toyota I'd go along for the ride so to speak..........WHAT SHALL I DO?

As I remembered, the tyre pressure should be around 33-35 / 35-37 psi as standard, Forgot which is correct. Even so, I always increase by 1-2 psi, was told by a guy once who accompanied me when buying my car.

Note that the tire pressures stated on the door placard (not the maximum load pressures) are the minimum recommended tire pressure.

Read my few posts above, my tyre pressures were 30 before I pumped them up to 38. At 30 PSI it was a very sloppy ride. It kept getting sucked into pot holes, cracks etc in the road, at 38 its very snappy and corners so much better and it glides over "road imperfections".

I see you done 35, 35 is a good compromise IMHO because 38 does feel a bit stiff. So if you are after ride comfort and a bit of 'sporty' feel go 35, if you want bit of comfy but more sporty go 38. (16" tyres that is)

Edited by unique

• 9 months later...

I thought that my tires looked pretty flat so I decided to check them. Front and rear was around 30.

I did 38F and 36R. Massive difference. Ride is so much smoother. Thanks for the tip!

I should update my current psi setup. After playing around with lots of psi settings i found best for me 38psi front 32psi back COLD.

For comfort I like 35 front and 34 back. But with the current fuel prices I'm keeping 38 front and 37 back. If fuel prices drop I'll go to 35/34. I'm now finding 38 is too much and it really ruins comfort.