HID vs Halogen

I'm considering swapping my Phillips long life halogens for a Phillips HID kit. I know the HID are stronger than halogen but i don't know by how much.

Does anyone have pictures of comparisons between halogens and HIDs for an aurion?

I'm considering swapping my Phillips long life halogens for a Phillips HID kit. I know the HID are stronger than halogen but i don't know by how much.

Does anyone have pictures of comparisons between halogens and HIDs for an aurion?

This is from my osram night breakers to HIDS

The osrams claim 90% more light than the stock globes but it isn't that much.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23003&view=findpost&p=383490

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23003&view=findpost&p=383490

Thanks for the help stedyedy but i'm not after 6000k HID. I saw the pics and there was definitely a difference but i'm looking at real Phillip 4300k HID kit and not some cheap HID kit. I know for a fact that 6000k are more for looks and 4300k are more performance. I also need pictures that show large areas so i can see the difference at short and long distances.

Thanks for the help stedyedy but i'm not after 6000k HID. I saw the pics and there was definitely a difference but i'm looking at real Phillip 4300k HID kit and not some cheap HID kit. I know for a fact that 6000k are more for looks and 4300k are more performance. I also need pictures that show large areas so i can see the difference at short and long distances.

whilst i agree with you that 4300 would probably give the best light output, dont totally discount the 6000k... im using a phillips 6000k kit in my aurion and coming from halogens (used both phillips power2nite and phillips crystal vision) the 6000k totally blows it away...

im sorry i dont have any before photos but the main thing i noticed is that you will illumiate road signs miles down the road... the light beam is definately a good bit longer and in that longer beam the light is very well concentrated (as in its not just scattered/faint light) it is a solid white light on the road..

the only thing that i found 6000k lacks in (by lack i mean it still out performs a stnd halogen but could definately be better IMO) is in the rain. i imagine a 4300k would cut through the rain a fair bit better...

IMHO, for the extra money your paying for the phillips kit, (approx 450.00AUD) it is definately worth it. while members here have had greeat luck with other branded cheaper kits, if your after piece of mind then the money is well worth it in the end as you'll always be questioning yourself if you dont...

good luck with making your decision mate :)

IMHO, for the extra money your paying for the phillips kit, (approx 450.00AUD) it is definately worth it. while members here have had greeat luck with other branded cheaper kits, if your after piece of mind then the money is well worth it in the end as you'll always be questioning yourself if you dont...

I bought 2 cheap kits off ebay to do my low beams and fogs, and paid $100 including shipping. So for the price of the piece of mind for your Philips kit, I can replace mine 8 more times. Surely the Philips kits aren't 9 times better?

I bought 2 cheap kits off ebay to do my low beams and fogs, and paid $100 including shipping. So for the price of the piece of mind for your Philips kit, I can replace mine 8 more times. Surely the Philips kits aren't 9 times better?

i never said they were "9 times better"

by all means the ebay kits seem to be working great!i have never disputed that... but as i wrote in my statement, its for YOUR OWN PERSONAL peice of mind... at the end of the day as has been quoted on the forum numerous times when it comes to HID's, people will spend what they feel comfortable spending... some will be more than happy spending sub 100 per kit whereas others will feel the need to spending a bit more to satisfy their own needs/wants. no one is the same..

i personally wouldnt want to have to even worry about changing mine out 8 or 9 times, id rather do it once and leave it, which is why i opted to go for the genuine kit and have it professionally installed.

I would love to put these on my car but I don't like attracting unwanted attention from the popo since these are illegal :ph34r:

you can get 4300k HID light then. It's so close to OEM that no one would care. Also the projector beams Aurions have don't blind people unless you look straight at it. Reflectors beams would be a popo magnet.

I can get a REAL phillip 4300k or 6000k HID kit for $250AUD. :toast:

I would love to put these on my car but I don't like attracting unwanted attention from the popo since these are illegal :ph34r:

you can get 4300k HID light then. It's so close to OEM that no one would care. Also the projector beams Aurions have don't blind people unless you look straight at it. Reflectors beams would be a popo magnet.

wow, care to share where you get them from? :)

i never said they were "9 times better"

by all means the ebay kits seem to be working great!i have never disputed that... but as i wrote in my statement, its for YOUR OWN PERSONAL peice of mind... at the end of the day as has been quoted on the forum numerous times when it comes to HID's, people will spend what they feel comfortable spending... some will be more than happy spending sub 100 per kit whereas others will feel the need to spending a bit more to satisfy their own needs/wants. no one is the same..

i personally wouldnt want to have to even worry about changing mine out 8 or 9 times, id rather do it once and leave it, which is why i opted to go for the genuine kit and have it professionally installed.

Oh, of course peace of mind is a major factor, its different for everybody (I wouldn't spend $1000 a year on insurance I don't ever intend to use if not for peace of mind). I wouldn't wanna have to change mine out 8 or 9 times either, and I don't expect I will. Thats my point, that of course you'd pay more the Philips ones and the peace of mind of having the reputable brand, but they're bl00dy expensive for that bit extra you'd get from them.

But, as you say, people will spend what they feel comfortable spending. Its all down to personal preference. If you can afford that sort of outlay, then why not. But if thats gonna be a stretch, the experience of many here has shown that sub $100 ebay kits aren't to be sneezed at.

wow, care to share where you get them from? :)

BEHOLD

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/INJECT-POWER__W0QQ_armrsZ1

just search for H11 and look for 4300k or 6000k

Here you go OP,

halogen_vs_hid.jpg

This is a comparison in our '05 Levin, so reflector housing.

DSC03440_800x450.jpg

.. and this is what 4300K HIDs looks like in a Yaris, also reflector housing.

So with your projector housing, expect a even sharper output. :)

Here you go OP,

halogen_vs_hid.jpg

This is a comparison in our '05 Levin, so reflector housing.

DSC03440_800x450.jpg

.. and this is what 4300K HIDs looks like in a Yaris, also reflector housing.

So with your projector housing, expect a even sharper output. :)

Thanks for the pics.

• 2 weeks later...

For people who are using HID kits on their Aurion did you have to lower the projector headlight?

just a fraction, but that was only because from factory they were pretty uneven... bear in mind the passenger side will be a bit higher..

on this note, have ordered some philips 4200k replacement bulbs to replace my 6000k ones.. cant wait to see the difference..

• 1 month later...

For people who are using HID kits on their Aurion did you have to lower the projector headlight?

just a fraction, but that was only because from factory they were pretty uneven... bear in mind the passenger side will be a bit higher..

on this note, have ordered some philips 4200k replacement bulbs to replace my 6000k ones.. cant wait to see the difference..

Any update on the 4300k HID Davo?

Had on my Camry Phillips 5000CM and in my opinion these were absolutely the best. Unfortunately these are only D2S. On my Aurion I'm using Phillips 4300 and these are pretty good. Once you try HID it will be hard to go back.

As part of my other job i was talking to our Phillips rep (Phillips are pretty much the only lamp supply to the production lighting manufactures) and he was able to hunt me out some HID kits for my car for about $120 a kit. I got 6000k's all round although the fog lamps arent quite as white as the projector low beam's which is weird because Pardigm's are pretty much an identical colour hmm... but look yeah just do it, it s a worthwhile upgrade on the Aurion. They work really well with the projector lamp assy and you get a fantastic light throw you won't regret plus it looks pretty cool haha

jump on my gallery there is a few pics of the lamps fired up :)

Edited by Adamsy

HID's are the way to go, one you use HID's you will never go back to halogens.

With pricing,It depends where u get them from, can vary from $120-$250..

Any update on the 4300k HID Davo?

yeah i had the original philips 4100k (they only do 4100 and 6000k bulbs for their hid kits) and had them in for a few weeks. overall wasnt too pleased with the light colour. output was great, but even while driving through some thunder/rain storms here in perth i didnt notice a GREAT difference over the 6000k bulbs i had previously.. in the end i ended up buying some fresh 6000k philips bulbs and will either sell or save the 4100k bulbs for my fog lights...

personalli i just didnt like the colour of the 4100k in my projectors... came off as pretty yellow... but perhaps i was used to 6000k light.. i was thinking of letting them undergo their colour shift but i knew even if they shifted slightly, id still be wanting thr 6000k white still.

i will say thou, i have found from my 1year+ old 6000k philips bulbs that i took out, they had shifted to a more "blue" appearance compared to the fresh 6000k i installed. so not bad, for the amount of night driving i do that i got over 1 year out of the globes, which were still going strong when i pulled them out. nice to have some fresh bulbs in thou, the colour is noticably whiter compared to a bluish light.

fitted 4300k philips "patent" HID's into the high beams and have been very very impressed with the output. cant wait till later on in the year when we drive down south. pitch black country roads here i come!

anyway.

in conclusion:

4100k = too yellow for my liking, excellent light output, yellowish (at times even slightly orange) light output. great if all you want is visability, not overly great if you want looks as well :P

6000k = nice white light, turns from purple (on start up) to blue, then to white. excellent output, and great looks.

(these are my personal opinions only, some of you may very well love the look of 4100k! :) )