KX-R 17" Tyres

nealo

Just clocked up 40,000kms and need some new rubber.

I'd like to put on Yokohama Advan ST V802 but it only comes in 255 60 R17 where the Kluger currently comes with 245 65 R17. A few places have told me the diameter shouldn't change by more than 12mm. If I went to the Yokies it's about a12mm difference.

Anyone gone to something different then the Dunlops? I've had prices of $330-$400 per tyre for the Dunlops.

I put on Cooper CTS as I was after long-lasting, quietness and only sometimes go on dirt/gravel roads. Comes with 70,000 km warranty. From memory was about $310.

I recently did a trip from Canberra to Tumut via Wee Jasper and return via Argalong in pouring rain and many km's of dirt roads and they performed flawlessly.

Ken.

Edited by Turkey Galoot

I'd like to put on Yokohama Advan ST V802 but it only comes in 255 60 R17 where the Kluger currently comes with 245 65 R17. A few places have told me the diameter shouldn't change by more than 12mm. If I went to the Yokies it's about a12mm difference.

Anyone gone to something different then the Dunlops? I've had prices of $330-$400 per tyre for the Dunlops.

I just got Pirelli Scorpions ATR (245 65 R17) $285 @ Jax Quikfit in Frankston. So far so good they seem quieter and hold well but I'm no tyre expert.

I am a bit surprised you only got 40,000km from the Dunlops, mine (also Dunlops) had done 98,000 I kid you not.

Good luck Deano it's a difficult size to get, I was looking at some Michelins but it was a 3 month wait (Who orders tyres 3 months ahead??)

Wiggo

• 4 weeks later...

I put on Cooper CTS as I was after long-lasting, quietness and only sometimes go on dirt/gravel roads. Comes with 70,000 km warranty. From memory was about $310.

I recently did a trip from Canberra to Tumut via Wee Jasper and return via Argalong in pouring rain and many km's of dirt roads and they performed flawlessly.

Ken.

2nd the Cooper CTS. Had Pirelli scorpion str's, but wore quickly (became much more vocal with wear also) and use to flat spot when parked overnight.

Highly recommend the cts, very quiet, great grip and ride. Now if they last anywhere near their promised 70,000km's, will be very very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Was waiting and waiting for Bridgestones to come on.

Got sick of waiting and booked the car in for Pirelli's.

Got there today and he informs me Pirelli are out of stock for this size. "Don't worry I've got some Yokohama's in to put on for you". I'm no tyre snob so I just asked to have a look first. I immediately said no. He then talked me into letting him fit them and if I don't like them he'll take them back.

There is/was a definite roar between 50-70kph. I now have to go back tomorrow and get my old Dunlops back on and wait.

• 4 months later...

I am currently in the market to replace my worn 37000 km Dunlop 245/65/17 tyres.

Any other more suggestions?

All the same size, i have looked at;

Cooper CTS for $365 (70000 warranty )

Bridgestone D683 for $279

Kuhmo for $313 and

Maxxis ht750 for $265

Price, noise and wear are probably the main considerations.

Any suggestions or recommendations based on your replacement experiences.

Thx

I am currently in the market to replace my worn 37000 km Dunlop 245/65/17 tyres.

Kuhmo for $313 and

Maxxis ht750 for $265

Thx

Will you be driving offroad at all? If you aren't then the Bridgestone D683 will be fine for you. Just get them from a Bridgestone centre so you can get free wheel alignment and tyre rotation every 5000km.

No off road just to school, the shops and an occasional trip down the highway to wine country.

I would like to sharpen up it's cornering ability though as it is a bit spongy on the turns with the current Dunlops.

Thx for the feedback.

No off road just to school, the shops and an occasional trip down the highway to wine country.

I would like to sharpen up it's cornering ability though as it is a bit spongy on the turns with the current Dunlops.

Thx for the feedback.

Putting higher psi into the tyres will help with cornering. Try 38psi front and 34psi back cold. That setup for my Aurion and RAV4 give minimal body roll without changing the suspension.

Kuhmo for $313 and

Maxxis ht750 for $265

Thx

Where did you get the quote for the Bridgestones?

Tried Bridgestone - $280 but no stock, couldn't advice of next shipment.

Quoted $269 a piece for the D863's from Bob Janes in Clarkson.

Kuhmo's were $277

Hopefully the Bridgestones will last longer than the stock Dunlop's, only got 43k km's out of them.

Tony sounds like you got a few more km's out of your tyres than mine. Admittedly theydifnt get rotated in the last 15 months.

Also sounds like you ate in the same market as me and getting similar pricing.

I am a few weeks off purchasing so if you happen to do it before me would appreciate a post on price and your thoughts on performance once they are on tbs car.

You would have thought more KXR owners would have replaced and had a story to tell on their research and findings?!

Thx

I got the Cooper CTS 9 months ago at $330. Very happy with them, so far done 21000 km, seem to be wearing well. A little noisier than original Dunlops but not by much.

See this thread: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27494

Ken.

Edited by Turkey Galoot

I got the Cooper CTS 9 months ago at $330. Very happy with them, so far done 21000 km, seem to be wearing well. A little noisier than original Dunlops but not by much.

See this thread: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28925

Ken.

Its this same thread mate :lol:

Anyway.. back then (2nd post) you said you were after quietness and now it's a bit noisier than Dunlops?

Thx for the feedback.

Not sure i'm going to tick all your boxes e.g.: Cheap + Quite + High milage... but I added Falken S/TZ01'sfor better handing on our 2008 KX-R.

They've only done about 5000km, but they have been pretty quiet in that time, will see if they get noisier as they were down.

Got the 275/60 R17's to get the correct rolling diameter, but I have enjoyed the increased footprint on the road.

BTW... I had Maxis H/T on a previous car ...they induced a terrible body roll on corners, so I can't recommended them.

• 1 month later...

See this thread: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28925

Ken.

Its this same thread mate :lol:

Whoops. Fixed in my previous post.

Ken.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just put Cooper CTS on my KX-R AWD. Got them from Tyrepower in Engadine (Sydney) on special for $295 each last week. They also will rotate them every 5,000km for free. Got 47,500 from original tyres.

Cheers,

Snowy

• 1 month later...

Yes, i was quoted a little less for the Bridgestone Dueler D683 (245/6517) Also have been told Toyota did a deal on Dunlops but the Bridgestones are a far better tyre all round and will last a little longer. :)

• 10 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread I know but I need some circa 2012 advice.

2009 KXR-AWD has done 51,000km and needs 4 new tyres 245/65R17.

I've been quoted (per tyre);

Dunlop Grand Trek ST30's $280

Toyo HT $305

Bridgestone D683's $310

Cooper CTS $360

No off-roading use, just used by the wife around town and to/from work on bitumen roads.

What do people recommend?

Edited by BigBad64